Sushi of Gari - Hollywood

Light dinner before Hamilton. Spoiler alert: aaron burr shoots hamilton because he was mad hamilton didn’t get him tickets for hamilton

Great mix of modern and traditional sushi and conveniently located next to the pantages. The rice was a bit softer than i would have liked, but the quality of the fish was very good. Highlights were the tai salad, aji with miso, sweet shrimp, shima aji and jalapeno sauce, scallop, saba, snow crab, geoduck, eel and avocado, and lobster.

Most of the toppings complemented the fish nicely. The only ones that didn’t work for me were the tuna with onion, otoro with daikon, and the snow trout with apple.

Caprese - tomato, tofu, balsamic

tai salad - japanese red snapper topped with seasoned baby green, roasted pine nuts, crispy lotus root, wasabi olive oil

Sweet shrimp with yuzu miso sauce

kanpachi with ceviche sauce

albacore with miso & garlic paste

Bluefin tuna with creamy tofu puree
sushi_gari_20170929_174954

Aji with miso

Salmon with sauteed tomato & sweet onion sauce
sushi_gari_20170929_175557

otoro with grated daikon and ponzu sauce

snow crab topped with uni sauce

shima aji with jalapeno sauce

Hokkaido scallop with ume

saba with sesame soy sauce

santa barbara uni

halibut with sweet onion sauce and poached quail egg

seared tuna with marinated onion

snow trout with garlic apple sauce

geoduck #clamB4theham

Nodoguro
sushi_gari_20170929_191225

chopped crunchy eel with sliced avocado

marinated lobster with moshio sea salt

sauteed foie gras with pear #inbeforetheban
sushi_gari_20170929_184700

saba
sushi_gari_20170929_184934

Kumamoto Oyster

tekka maki #knifework

negitoro

Kanpyo maki

california roll
sushi_gari_20170929_192127

toto

Fin

11 Likes

Previous visit

not sushi

Chopped Fatty Tuna with Pickled Radish

Botan Ebi - sweet shrimp

Marinated Fresh Lobster with Mojio Sea Salt

Tuna with Creamy Tofu Puree

Fresh Salmon with Sauteed Tomato & Sweet Onion Sauce

bafun hokkaido uni

Hotate - scallop

Seared Albacore with Miso & Garlic

Tuna Grated Daikon Radish with Ponzu Sauce

Foie Gras with Pear Compote

Chopped Crunchy Eel with Sliced Avocado

Sea bass

Yellowtail with Jalapeno Sauce

Red Snapper with Micro Greens, Roasted Pine Nuts, Bean Sprouts, Fried Lotus Root, and hint of Wasabi Olive Oil #salad

unagi

spicy scallop roll

Chopped Crunchy Eel with Avocado Roll

Tuna and Salmon roll

tamago

10 Likes

Everything looks so good. I like the way you roll.

How do you like the toppings? Does it enhance or add to the sushi?

1 Like

How long did dinner take and how much? I’m taking the wife for her 40th on Tuesday night and coming in from North OC. We were planning on doing shake shack purely due to timing. We were planning on leaving around 5:30 and guessing 90 minutes to the Pantages. If we can get in and out of somewhere nicer within eating distance we would change plans.

Dat crunchy eel and avocado was my favorite. But the showstopper for me was the tofu dessert :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Great report @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile: Hope you liked Hamilton as well! :slight_smile:

Some of the toppings sound like they’re gentle enough to complement the sushi, but some of those flavors, I worry they would just be too distracting. Did you find the style to overwhelm or dominate the fish? Thanks!

1 Like

The true ballers get FRONT ROW SEATS at Hamilton, whereas us regular folk only get the set list from Gillian after the concert…

2 Likes

Most of the toppings did work well with the fish. The ones that i didn’t enjoy - salmon with tomato, tuna and ponzu, tuna and onion - were mainly because of the quantity of the topping was too much for the fish and not really the flavor. But what’s nice is, if you don’t want the modern, fusion-y, and as @CiaoBob describes

They also have a large section of the traditional stuff too.

4 Likes

Dinner was two hours, but i arrived at 5:30 and was taking my time. They do a lot of theater business so they can probably get you in and out in about an hour if you let them know. Make sure to make a reservation.

There is no set price for the omakase, they just simply add up the a la carte prices for each piece you eat. They do have a pre-theater special that’s not on their website: 4 pieces and a roll for $28 or 6 pieces and a roll for $38.

3 Likes

we have not eaten at the l.a location but in august we had lunch at the original ues location in manhattan. i have to say we were not particularly impressed. the variety of fish available was low, quality of fish was nothing amazing, and we really did not care for the salmon-tomato–and a couple of other things were also over-sauced in our opinion. as i say in my review, you can do MUCH better at lunch in l.a for quality, variety and even creativity at the price we paid.

a question then for people who’ve eaten at sushi of gari in new york and l.a: is the l.a location better? are the high opinions expressed above still the view of the l.a location?

LA location closed a while ago

1 Like

well, i guess that might answer that question?