Sushi Pick Up or Delivery

Sushi Go 55

Chirashi Jyu Take

I’ve picked up from Sushi Go 55 a couple times during the pandemic and it’s such great QPR. I added Ikura to luxe it up just a bit without going all out for the Chirashi Jyu Matsu. Not a bad bite in this box.

13 Likes

$250 osechi from tsujita

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIT7O-JjJWr/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIV9yRfD869/

4 Likes

looks like 2 options, the NY box is the same for each option but one gets a nigiri sushi box and the other a chirashi box.

6 Likes

Sunset Sushi

I grabbed a couple things from the recently opened Sunset Sushi tonight and came away impressed. I really like Ichijiku Sushi, their sister restaurant out in Highland Park, and was excited to see they’re doing chirashi at their new location. Unfortunately they’ve taken their battera of the menu for now, but I’ll keep an eye out for its return in the future.

Torotaku Cut Roll

Let’s just say that my first impression wasn’t great. The roll looked sloppy and even like it was tossed down into the container with force, as there was some fish that had spilled out the bottom. But looks can be deceiving because wow this was delicious! The fatty tuna and slightly sweet pickled root was smashing.

Kaisen Chirashi
Tuna, Salmon, Tai Snapper, Scallop, Yellowtail, Albacore, Mackerel, Tamago, Unagi, Ikura

While not as much of a looker as some of the other premium chirashi out there (including the one @J_L got from Sunset Sushi last month) there was not a mediocre bite in this box. Each and every piece of fish was incredibly soft and flavorful, and the rice was nicely seasoned. The mackerel gets a special shout out because they treated it like battera–placing a thin piece of kombu on top of that piece.

Not that there needs to be a winner between Sunset Sushi and Ichijiku Sushi (both take me about the same amount of time to drive to and have similar price points for nigiri and hand rolls) I’d have to say that Sunset Sushi has won me over with its chirashi, which I’ve come to prefer for takeout situations. Ichijiku seems to have a more appealing space for dining in and some more interesting handroll and a la carte nigiri options, but Sunset’s ultrahigh QPR and slightly more diverse menu gives it the edge in my book,

8 Likes

Because I’m a pig, I ordered the deluxe sushi set and the regular chirashi. Thought it was really good for takeout sushi, especially for the area devoid of any really top notch sushiyas. Will definitely have to check it out and do a proper sit down omakase meal once things are open again but definitely felt like it was a notch below the top sushiyas around.

None of the sushi was sauced, so I had to dip in soy sauce for each piece, which can get somewhat monotonous. Highlights were the Toro, uni, and ikura. Was surprised to see sweet shrimp as it’s currently out of season AFAIK.

Overall really enjoyed it and will be ordering from again.

Need to try Mori next.

5 Likes

Ordered from Kinkan last night, and despite the food being delayed and my car battery dying, I was thoroughly impressed. I don’t know if I’ve been on a run of good luck or what, but following my excellent Sunset Sushi order a couple weeks ago, this Chirashi from Kinkan might have just topped it. It didn’t have the diversity of fish as Sunset Sushi, but it was a real stunner and each bite was delicious.

Scallop isn’t typically one of the bites that get’s me fired up, but it was magic here. The cuts of bluefin tuna and king salmon were luxurious, and that’s not to mention the ikura scattered all over that brought it up a level.

I added unagi for a slight upcharge, and while it wasn’t as great a bite as the other cuts of fish, I still found it a nice diversion as I dug around.

There are some great chefs doing chirashi and bentos (ie: Tiger & the Horse, Chef Ai Kennedy, etc.) and Kinkan definitely belongs in the conversation. She sells out quickly, so I’d recommend ordering soon if you want to get in for February.

Orders can be placed through DM: https://www.instagram.com/kinkanla/?hl=en

11 Likes

Question: Out of all the takeout sushi you’ve enjoyed during the lockdown which are your favorites or your special occasion go-to? It can be baller-iffic but doesn’t have to be - just really lovely & enjoyable.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Sushi Ii, Sushi Kaneyoshi, and The Brothers Sushi.

5 Likes

Thanks @Wakko11! There’s been so many great and a few not so great posts about sushi on this and other threads. It’s hard to keep up… and to search. :slightly_smiling_face:

@TheCookie I’ve actually been thinking about this question for a few weeks now, so I’m going to put it out there (fair warning this is still a WIP and a bit malleable and I’d love feedback/discussion around it).

I wanted to group takeout sushi into a few tiers to help with decision making based on occasion/budget, so here’s what I’ve come up with in terms of my personal favorites:

High End
Sushi Kaneyoshi

Whatever a Bib is
Morihiro Atwater
Sushi Hide
KinKan
Sushi ii
Sunset Sushi

Affordable QPR
Sushi Go 55
Ichijiku Sushi
Sushi Yoshi

A bit on the methodology: I was ball parking these based on what might constitute a standard order for one person, ie: standard chirashi/nigiri order, maybe with a cut roll or a couple hand rolls thrown in. So the High End tier I was putting around $80+, Whatever a Bib is would range between $45-79, and Affordable QPR would be sub $45

I’m definitely trying to solidify and expand the spots in the tiers, so if anyone @PorkyBelly, @J_L, and others has thoughts or their own takes on this I’d like to see what they have to say!

11 Likes

Look at you! What a treasure! I know you’ve been welcomed a while ago… but WELCOME!

5 Likes

Everyone…

Favorite bouzushi?

Favorite futomaki?

Favorite maki?

Favorite battera?

Favorite chirashi?

2 Likes

Yeah!

Sushi Kaneyoshi, especially the Futomaki. :blush:

Honorable mention to Iki Ramen on Whatever a Bib is. They don’t get enough credit for the Sashimi & Kaisen Don (truffle oil aside) because they’re technically a Ramen spot.

5 Likes

I thought the QPR at morihiro was a lot better than kaneyoshi, but kaneyoshi was clearly tastier.

4 Likes

I was planning on trying Iki Ramen tomorrow so I’ll add it to the list!

@Ns1 I see your point on Morihiro and that might be part of the flaw in the tiers, but knowing I can get a $60 chirashi there versus $80 at Sushi Kaneyoshi is where I called the distribution.

Each spot regardless of what tier they are in I consider a favorite or at least deserving of repeat visits. Those that don’t make a tier (ie. are not mentioned) I do not consider as one of those that I feel strongly about consistently visiting.

5 Likes

This was months ago as we’re rarely venturing out and want to try new spots when we do. But! for a moment there we were all over Iki.

Some complained about truffle oil but I didn’t notice. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Bouzushi: Sushi Kaneyoshi

Futomaki: Sushi Kaneyoshi

Maki: Sunset Sushi

Battera: Sushi ii

Chirashi: Sushi Kaneyoshi if I’m going high end, but KinKan if I’m at that happy middle level

5 Likes

bozushi: kaneyoshi

futomaki: kaneyoshi x2

maki: kaneyoshi

battera: sushi miyagi

chirashi: kaneyoshi

bonus round

nigiri: morihiro

iwashi maki: sushi hide

8 Likes