Sushi Pick Up or Delivery

I just realized we’re in a designated Sushi Pickup/Delivery thread and not the other one. So many threads. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

You’re complaining about this?? I think he is being a dutiful husband.

1 Like

Thread drift…

I know. It’s my favorite BBQ Chicken (from a restaurant) - good flavors, not too lighter-fluid-y and the skin is cooked perfectly. But it’s a salt-bomb. Surprisingly, the couple bites I took of the Ribs were perfectly seasoned and not salty (for bbq anyway). Restaurants really need to ease up on salt-brining.

2 Likes

Sushi Park now on Tock. $100 per person. Never been. Too many cooked foods for my taste. Just doesn’t appeal to me as takeout.

And Shunji stopped with the sashimi, unfortunately, because I wanted to try it. I’m finding that sushi is just not holding up well for takeout and thinking that maybe sashimi would be hold up better. Or battera which I definitely want to try.

Anyone have pickup sushi recs for Pasadena or DTLA? Though I don’t mind Sugarfish from time to time.

1 Like

Osawa

3 Likes

I was really hoping for good sushi today, but was just too tired to go somewhere and do pickup. Since there aren’t a lot of sushi delivery options, I decided I would try KazuNori via Postmates. I will say it wasn’t as bad as I expected.

In scrolling through Postmates, I saw that Matsuhisa is delivering sushi bentos at $80 a pop, but I have never been a Matsuhisa fan, so I didn’t bite.

2 Likes

I was told there would be a bang.

Somi Somi makes for great dessert. No food pic but here’s a menu shot instead.

13 Likes

:wave: @Ns1 FTC bang in spirit! I had a kaisen chirashi pick up at 530.

Bluefin toro, akami, SB uni, ama ebi, hotategai, aji, and ikura over very fragrant nori and shari.

#teamshunji

15 Likes

I haven’t been thrilled with my take-out sushi and I haven’t been able to snag an order for kaisen-don from Shunji.

My instinct was that take-out sashimi would travel better than take-out sushi (I truly believe the only way to eat sushi is at a bar where each piece is handed to you as soon as it is made). So I ordered sashimi today from Kiriko and my instincts were right.

Kiriko is doing a sashimi special of tuna, albacore, salmon, halibut and yellowtail. They are advertising it on their website for $22 (I assume that is what I paid since I paid over the phone and didn’t get a receipt with pickup). It is an unbelievable bargain at the price (also coming with rice, miso and salad). I was assuming the portions would not be generous given the price, so I added on kohada sashimi (because I love kohada) and Hokkaido scallop sashimi (because Ken-san recommended it). It turned out to be way too much food. The scallops were delicious. I could not finish the kohada because it was just too much food. Does anyone know if sashimi is edible the next day?

I also added on an order of Ken-san’s “detox slaw” Kiriko Sushi on Instagram: "デトックスコールスロー#asiancoleslaw#detoxslaw#detox#nimayo#organicveggies#cleansingbody#inveggiebentobox#oishiiandgreatforyourbody#onlyatkirikochanwla" because he was posting on Facebook that when he is feeling sluggish that is what he eats. However I was too full to try it today and will report back.

I also have to say that Kiriko pick up continues to be a breeze. They keep the doors open. So you pull up right in front, wave at them and they bring it out. Since I am unbelievably lazy, I appreciate the convenience of (1) not having to get out of my car; and (2) not even have to fish around for my cell phone to call them.

6 Likes

is the nori shredded or is it in sheets?

I have had “leftover” sashimi/sushi the next day and it was fine. Not ideal for obvious reasons, but fine.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Glad he’s shredding it up now, it was kind of hard to eat when it was in sheets.

1 Like

No stress at all to eat! He provides tiny little trays dedicated for shoyu now too, which has been lacking everywhere else, and small salsa cups for wasabi and gari instead of being wrapped in plastic. :+1:

Picked this box of marvels up from Sushi Inaba yesterday. Prepared by my favorite journeyman sushi chef Yoshi-San (formerly of Mori, Kiriko, Zo, and Ginza Onodera). One day I’ll learn how to take a picture…

19 Likes

I had my leftover Kiriko kohada sashimi for breakfast and I’m not sure if it was because kohada is an oily fish and oily fish keeps better, but I am pleased to report, it was not just fine, but perfect!

I’m one of these strange people whose favorite meal is breakfast and I would say the kohada, together with the Kiriko “detox slaw,” and the miso soup that I had saved from yesterday was one of my top 5 breakfasts ever. I literally felt like I was having breakfast in one of Tokyo’s swankiest hotels – sadly post-pandemic future generations will not know the luxury of Japanese breakfast buffet.

It didn’t hurt that I happened to have on hand some obscenely expensive needle leaf sencha from Uji prefecture, adding to the feeling that I was dining at some unbelievably swank 5-star hotel.

My next order from Kiriko, I will definitely be picking up extra sashimi for breakfast and more detox slaw.

12 Likes

We really enjoyed our Osawa (Pasadena) takeout Friday.

11 Likes

That’s amazing to hear! Glad it worked out well.

1 Like

Does this look like $800 compared to some of the other sushi pick ups we’ve seen from FTC posts around LA?

2 Likes