Sushi Pick Up or Delivery

I happened to be at my computer when @Ns1’s post popped up, so I was able to snag a chirashi. FTC (and just happening to be online at that very minute) saves the day again.

5 Likes

Got a bento for lunch today from Kiriko. A lot of food – I couldn’t even finish it – and a good value. Piece of cooked salmon, three kinds of sashimi, shrimp and shishito pepper tempura (surprisingly good for takeout tempura), rice, tamago, delicious tofu, vegetables and some kind of stewed beef.

I like Kiriko because it’s easy - just call, no reserving a slot like on Tock, so you can have it whenever the whim strikes. Also they have a full menu so you can get whatever you want, as opposed to what the chef may be choosing to serve that day, although today I did go with the chef’s choice bento (with some a la carte sushi).

Ken-san seemed to be working alone today. He took my order on the phone, said he would have it ready in 20 minutes, and when I went to pick it up, he was alone in the restaurant. It was kind of like having a private chef, since everything had just been cooked to order for me.

It was also sobering to see how desperately hard small business people are working to try to keep their businesses alive during this pandemic and not let everything they spent years building go down the drain.

P.S. If you go to Kiriko, do not sleep on the ice cream. It is actually my favorite ice cream in L.A. I like it much better than Antico. It’s got just the right amount of sweetness.

11 Likes

Had an incredible 12-piece sushi takeout from Ikko in Costa Mesa. I’ve been a few years ago for omakase and it was one of the most incredible meals I can remember. I saw that they were doing a takeout special and had to pick one up.

Just about every piece was outstanding in terms of quality and selection, although I didn’t know half of them and would love some help. The yuzu sea bream (top left corner) is familiar, but never does me wrong. Meanwhile, the hotate with crab innards (?) (second from bottom left) was totally unexpected in the best way.

The standout of the meal was the ikura topped shrimp (bottom left corner). Two incredibly meaty and satisfying bites that may as well have been lobster. The ikura was also smaller than I expected, but it worked so well here. The whole experience felt like siu mai reborn as sushi.

Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the tamago (second from top right). I like the usual expression that’s a sweet, savory cold omelet, and of course the cake-like versions that Chef Sugishita does so well. This one is more like a slice of seasoned steam egg - all savory and no sweet. The inari (top right corner) was much better. I don’t think I’ve had one since I was a kid, and this really took me back.

One of my best quarantine meals so far, and a steal at $39.

Ikko Sushi
735 Baker St
Ste C
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

5 Likes

I feel your sadness. Those deluxe Japanese hotel breakfasts are some of the greatest food experiences.

3 Likes

Anyone done Sushi Park during the pandemic? It’s a favorite of mine that rarely is discussed on this board. It isn’t cheap; here is the menu for $100.

1 Like

Update: loved it. Felt the sushi itself was significantly better than Shunji. The other dishes, I’d give the edge to Shunji. But overall, I liked Sushi Park more.

8 pieces of nigiri. Then a box with cut rolls (great), chilean seabass, eel sushi, fried scallop and shrimp, albacore sashimi salad,
And then a trio of desserts including a delicious Japanese cheesecake and a tomato marinated in a wine sauce.

10 Likes

Just saw on Kiriko’s Facebook page that they’re not reopening anytime soon for full service.

For your safety and our employees safety, we’ll continue takeout service only. It’s totally understandable but Health Department restrictions are very severe and you wouldn’t enjoy dining at restaurant too much. Would you like to share restroom with somebody who you don’t know ? Would you like to see server with mask and spraying sanitizer on next table after guests left while you’re eating ?

It’s tough decision to make but it’s better for everybody.

please understand and will notice you when it’s ready to dine in again.

Thank You.

He’s kind of got a point. Onward to more takeout sashimi. Sushi just doesn’t travel although maybe a good futamaki does.

14 Likes

Nozomi

4 Likes

Asanaebo

3 Likes

Today I picked up chirashi from Kiriko for lunch.

Picture from Kiriko’s Facebook page, but it was exactly what I got. It doesn’t seem to be on the takeout menu, but I ordered it after seeing the photo on Kiriko’s Facebook.

All of the fish, including the uni and ikura, was delicious and it seemed like a bargain to me at $38. Rounded it out with an add on order of kohada sushi. How much better was the fish quality in the chirashi than the $55 omakase I recently had delivered from Hamasaku? About 10 Thousand percent better.

Morale of the story – I don’t usually have time, but all good things come to those who go themselves to pick up rather than rely on Postmates (and more revenue for the restaurant as well) since the better sushi places are not doing delivery.

14 Likes

Nice! That wagamama bowl at Kiriko is so solid. Did you get the ayu also?

2 Likes

No, I guess it is an add-on that you have to specifically ask for. If I had known, I definitely would have asked for it. There’s always tomorrow. . .

1 Like

Matsumoto

Deep Fried Live Soft Shell Crab

Premium Chirashi

10 Likes

Was chatting with Chef Sugishita, who mentioned that he’s now working out of the Arts District. He also mentioned Raku is now closed? I didn’t press for details, but does anyone have more info?

2 Likes

It’s sold.

Toro and uni bowl from Kiriko. Saw it on their insta and couldn’t resist!

Chu toro + seared ootoro + negitoro + uni

Meyer Lemon ice cream and shiso sorbet to finish.

14 Likes

How was the Meyer Lemon ice cream? Kiriko is my favorite ice cream in L.A.

@Omotesando it was because of your previous posting that I knew to ask about his ice cream, so thank you :pray:t2: for that. It was delicious - the Meyer lemon flavor was a bit subtle at first then the zest hits and you get that lemon goodness. Smooth and not too sweet.

Shiso sorbet was good as well, but I really like that herby/citrusy flavor so I’m a bit biased. It was a bit one-note though, when I was eating it, I was thinking that a shiso-ume sorbet would be bomb :yum:

2 Likes

Got the exact same bowl because of the Instagram post too! :grin:

1 Like

Did you like it? He told me the Instagram pic had extra uni so I told him to make mine with extra uni, too. Although comparing what I got with the IG pic, I think IG had extra extra uni :rofl:

2 Likes