Sushi Pick Up or Delivery

He told me the same thing haha. The seared toro was the best bite.

1 Like

Meant to post this a while ago, but I received a Postmates gift card and decided to try K-Zo in Culver City. The chirashi deluxe was surprisingly great, with some really choice selections. Standouts for me were the akami, kinmedai, toro, and hotate.

If there is a low point, Postmates listed uni in the description and there was none to be found. I believe they made up for it with the fried prawn - it is so satisfying eating these whole. Overall as someone who hates driving in LA, this was a solid value for $38.50 + delivery.

12 Likes

Sushi Matsumoto got those baby kohada.

8 Likes

Lunch from Sasabune. This was pretty damn great for $40. Apologies for the shitty pic, but this sushi was top notch. Tuna, yellowtail, salmon, and eel nigiri, with a yellowtail cut roll.

6 Likes

Osaka style set!

5 Likes

Ordered K-Zo delux chirashi on Postmates - now it’s $42.90, plus delivery, plus Postmates fees (which add up), plus tax.

Found the sashimi several notches below Kiriko which is less money. Did get uni, but it wasn’t good uni and some of the other pieces weren’t good either. Tamago was super sweet. Didn’t care for the rice or for the ikura.

This was my first experience with K-Zo.

Sorry you didn’t like K-Zo. I do agree on the sweetness of the tamago. As you said, all good things come to those who go themselves to pick up rather than rely on Postmates.

1 Like

Does anyone know if Urasawa is still open for their bento takeout? I tried calling and no one is picking up

Haven’t been in years (don’t spend as much time in Culver anymore) but I always thought K-Zo was legit.

1 Like

I don’t have the answer re Urasawa, but welcome @Kyoko!

Thank you! I’ve actually been lurking here for a while looking for quarantine lunch ideas :laughing: everything looks so delicious

2 Likes

I order from Matsuhisa through Postmates pretty often. I’m happy with what they deliver. My favorite thing is their Inaniwa Pasta with Lobster or King Crab. I generally don’t order sushi for delivery (except maki) so can’t speak to that.

@MalibuT I actually got the meyer lemon ice cream today and it was my least favorite of any of the ice creams that I have had from Kiriko. The flavor just didn’t work for me. Vastly prefer their ginger and green tea ice cream. Did enjoy a fruit sorbet that they had today with chilies (but I love anything spicy, although this had just a hint of heat).

I had the same “Super Wagamama Don” (chutoro, seared Ootoro, Negitoro and Uni & Ikura) that you had and loved it, especially because mine came with two quite spicy pieces of raw chili and the heat of the chilies melded really well with the fish and rice.

@J_L, I finally tried the ayu fish - my first time eating this fish. It was interesting. :pensive: I’m usually not squeamish about eating whole fish, but the eyes of this tiny baby fish sort of freaked me out. And there were a lot of bones so it kind of seemed like a whole heap of trouble to go through just for a few bites of fish flesh. YMMV.

2 Likes

Thanks for relating your experience! Yes, the ayu is a fish for which one needs a sharp pair of hashi (chopsticks) - The morsels of meat are delicious (especially with steamed rice), but do require a bit of picking.

1 Like

I thought you could eat Ayu whole (with the bones) in most cases if they’re small enough in size, is that not the case?

The spine has relatively harder and sharp bones. which can be a bit hazardous. The ayu I received from Kiriko were a good size, and I was glad I didn’t just blindly bite through them.

2 Likes

“Hokkaido-Don” from Matsumoto

Musical accompaniment: My Favorite Things

11 Likes

Ayu are almost always served whole in Japan, during the fall (or summer?) when it they are considered a seasonal delicacy. In the fall (or summer?), pretty much every Michelin starred kaiseki restaurant serves them. Sometimes they are served standing up on their fins. You get really sweet flesh with the really bitter viscerals. It’s…okay? Better than shirako?

Although it is not allowed in Edomae sushi, the best ayu I ever had was ayu sushi at a three Michelin star restaurant in Kyoto. I like to tell Edomae sushi chefs about ayu sushi to watch them (all, without exception) politely frown. Trust me, ayu sushi is the way to go.

1 Like

summer

1 Like

I originally said summer, then changed to fall, but you’re probably right.