Sushi School - Where should I begin?

Thanks @CiaoBob! Funny!

Sushi Sushi is next to the B.H. Post Office. I pass it all the time and must go in.

Is Iroha in a strip mall or is that Go’s? I think I’ve been there years ago and It was excellent and had enough unusual (but not too) selections for feet wetting. I think if we’re going to travel we should also consider @ipsedixit’s rec of Sushi Ichi. It seems very cool.

I thought about Takao. Isn’t that Niki Nakayama’s mentor? Her Kaiseki is definitely on our 301 list.

Will do some research on your other recs!

Question: Is your and others recs strictly for omakase and that is why some are out of our price range?

Once again, you put things in a helpful format. Have I mentioned before you could be a concierge? Ha ha.

Thanks!

I went there recently.

I see Sushi in LA as this…

Places like Shunji, Mori, etc obviously nigiri sushi via omakase ,those are the high end/higher price point. $120 and above, but more like 2-5 bills.

Middle end…The “Strip Mall Sushi”, I wouldn’t rule out a omakase experience but I am not going to expect the more exotic sexier stuff, I can get out for under $100.

Lower end…more about maki style sushi, and more of a place for a quick bite, 1-2 times a week. Noshi Sushi on Beverly fits this perfectly, great cut maki’s, Japanese owned and operated, experienced chefs.

I put Hide on the lower end scale, with that said go to Noshi instead, better in every way.

Also give Sushi Tsujita a try, from the chirashi bowl I had at lunch there is a deep umami flavor in the fish, which I later learned that they cured and aged it. (Still a high end place, but come lunch to try it). I would love to do a dinner omakase in the future.

And that is what’s great about LA Sushi, you can enjoy it on all levels and on all price points.

Never never take that for granted.

4 Likes

Welcome, welcome!

Sit with Hiro-san, it’s not anywhere near $250+ p/p, that’s only with the separate bar with Shige-san. I honestly prefer Hiro-san’s actual sushi, anyway. I believe there’s a 10pc for $60 omakase or something with a few small bites, too. Let them know your budget - in fact you can get out for $100 IMO, but just let them know to be safe.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Many fishes are different, obviously. But if someone gets 12 pieces, it’s nice to have a good diverse range of fish instead of 4 types of snapper, which are slightly different form each other. Just a personal preference - one of my favorite parts about exploring sushi was having many different tastes and textures. So I like as much variety as possible, especially early on in my journeys

2 Likes

Ahhh… Is that why Takao rarely gets mentioned on this board? I wondered about that.

What has been helpful is you guys/gals giving the advice of letting them know what our experience level and goal is. I probably wouldn’t have done that. Now I just need to figure out where I’ll be going as a regular, as you suggested. @MaladyNelson, I know you like the chirashi bowls, but do you think Murakami could be such a place?

Thanks!

Take this for what it’s worth - my wife recently went with a work associate to Shunji for dinner - they sat at the counter. Her friend had never previously been to any Japanese eatery beyond the typical generalist places or wacky sushi roll joints. She was blown away at how incredibly great the food was as well as how approachable Shunji-san was. Her friend may still be a novice because she took a huge leap from the minors to the big leagues, but I think you have an appreciative palate and know enough to learn more at a clip. You also have the gift of inquiry - this is most valuable with an itamae like Shunji-san.

As others have mentioned, putting your meal in the hands of Shunji-san is money well spent. It’s going to be spendier than your target (guessing $150-200+ per) but the breadth and uniqueness of the dishes in addition to his sushi/sashimi is noteworthy (and it’s your birthday!). Throw in the list of specials/what’s specifically in season, and you’re in for some potential wide eyes and jaw-dropping. Of course, this is where you can get spendy too. My wife and her friend ordered a seasonal crab dish (I think it was Japanese snow crab) and easily broke $200 per. But if you’re already considering $130, I think Shunji is a good value at $140-170. You can be up front with him about your level of knowledge and exposure (and any preferences/dislikes - 'nads anyone?) and he will work with it.

As mentioned, Shunji seems to favor lighter neta - that was our experience on our visits. But it’s not to say you won’t enjoy it. You may be in for some unique surprises like engawa (fin muscle of halibut). Then again, after trying it, you may shrug and rate it, eh. I think it depends on one’s expectations versus having an open mind. If one’s expectation for a sushi experience is to get one’s palate clubbed to death with all cuts of blue fin, then Shunji won’t work.

Shunji also has a nice drink list, but we always have gone with his house sake. It pairs beautifully with most things there. It is not (and I don’t think it’s meant to be) a show-stopper in itself. It’s just a very nice, well-balanced sake that is a good bargain.

I think what ever you end up doing, you can’t go wrong with any of the recs by the many esteemed FTCers. You always ask the right questions and this goes far in learning.

I also forgot to mention - of all those posting here, I am probably the least experienced and qualified to give solid recs r.e. your request. But I feel that being so, I am closer to your perspective?

5 Likes

I tried to make in non-omakase but realize my last minute addition of Sushi Park is omakase only I believe (but very accessible, reasonably priced omakase).

As you correctly surmise most omakase is quite bit pricier, and that is a bit of a shame - because I believe it may be due to a misinterpretation of what most customers in LA truly mean. I could be way off here, but my experience is that most non-Japanese customers who ask for omakase are actually asking for what the chef thinks is the “best of the day,” not the “weirdest and hardest to procure of the day.” Unfortunately, due to the language gap, I believe most chefs presume the customer is asking for the specialty items (abalone, fish from japan, etc) not usually ordered. I suppose that might be what a Japanese customer means by omakase. I also suppose (cynically) it becomes a chance for the chef to drive up the bill by serving more expensive things the customer has no way of asking for other than saying “omakse.”

This shit is complicated. I don’t get it right everytime myself. Sometimes I want 201 and sometimes 301 (even at places I go to all the time, that are capable of doing both very well, AND where they really know me) but fail to get my point across (even to servers or chefs that speak perfect English!!!). Crazy. but that is what makes eating Japanese food in LA so great as well. I guess - with all the respect in the world to @linus - that is what makes it “intimidating.”

1 Like

Agree.
He’s my hero.

1 Like

Yes, I am definitely wanting that experience at this point in the sushi journey. I’m getting a little bored.

Okay now, Noshi could work for a regular type place. I’m on Beverly Dr a lot and have eaten there and am comfortable. I forgot to mention to you folks that good knife skill is something I’m interested in, as I’ve seen it is a very big deal with you :slight_smile:.

Definitely have that amazing looking lunch chirashi bowl at Tsujita on a future list.

I’m so glad you pointed that out. I remember @Porthos being a little down on L.A. Sushi. I was kind of surprised, because some feel it’s the best in the U.S. But I think he explained there aren’t enough Nori type places.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Hiro-san it is. I think I did read someone say Shige-san is a sweetie though.

Yah, I thought I saw a pretty reasonable omakase offering when I checked it out before.

Decisions!

if i could like this reply more than once, i would; building a relationship with the itamae over time can make the difference between a good meal and a great meal. so try to go when it’s not super busy allowing you more time to interact. and if you’re going to a more traditional place, i have found that observing the traditional niceties can help to make a more favorable first impression on the chef; he will be gauging your palate as much as you are gauging his skill. being accompanied by a ‘sherpa’ who has a good relationship with the chef can also make a big difference.

a place i favor that didn’t seem to get much love on the LA CH board nor here is a place in BH called sushi sushi. very old school and shige can be mercurial but if you get on his good side what will already be great sushi will go up a few notches on the meter. prices seem extremely reasonable until you discover that the prices are one piece only.

3 Likes

I :heart: your posts. You always have thoughtful perspectives. Thanks for the compliments too :wink:.

You are really tempting me with Shunji. I’m not a big snapper fan (although I don’t think I’ve had it uncooked) and would like a little clubbing, meaning a couple of rich & oily selections. But Shunji just seems like a place we’d really enjoy.

Thank heavens for the house sake rec. I was afraid to ask. In comes @beefnoguy with a $300. recommendation and I just want to faint. I did see a rec of his for a nama sake (we can get into what that is at another time) for a reasonable $75. So…

And that’s just great!

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

This (above) is a good-to-know tidbit about your sushi journey. If you’re getting bored of sushi you’ve had before at those places, you’re definitely venturing into the “201” or “301” territory as @CiaoBob so nicely put it. :slight_smile:

I think the additional places mentioned are solid, but if you ended up at Shunji, I don’t think it would be “bad” or “wasted” on you at all, IMHO. @bulavinaka’s post eloquently sums up what I was trying to recommend about Shunji-san being a great source for getting to the next level of sushi eating.

3 Likes

Both are good. I like sitting with Shige-san for a longer omakase that’s not heavy on sushi, but on other prepared items. For strict sushi though, I like sitting with Hiro-san. And since Shige-san works mainly with the special $250+pp bar now, I tend to just sit with Hiro-san. My last couple of meals have been getting better and better - in part perhaps because they’ve experimented with new techniques, in part because they’re able to source better stuff, and in part perhaps because I have been going semi regularly. They have COEDO beer or Ginga Kogen -

I think that for breadth and high points, LA may only be edged out by New York in the US. SF has exploded with the number of high end sushi joints, but I still feel that LA is probably better, though I haven’t tried the newest (read: just opened in the past 2 months) candidates for “best” in SF: Kenzo in Napa and Kinjo in SF (right down the street from me!). Otherwise, I’m slightly underwhelmed by SF sushi, even if the Stars have abounded in 2016 and it seems to be that there’s a new, high-end “omakase joint” opening every other month. Honolulu, believe it or not, has 2 fantastic high end sushi places - Sushi Ginza Onodera (better than the more expensive LA branch) and Sushi Sho, which itself might be the most unique and best sushi in America. They’re doing something very, very different than anywhere else, even different than their original Tokyo location, but I am going on a limb - a guess here - and say that I could doubt there is finer sushiya anywhere in US, all told. Apart from those 2 anomalies, though, Honolulu isn’t a sushi town, and as you mentioned, LA is one of the top 2 in the nation for breadth, variety, and high points, edged out possibly only by NYC, probably.

2 Likes

Have you tried Sushi of Gari in LA or NY?
I found it to be pretty excellent but pricey as can be. Didn’t expect to like it as much as I did, given some of the more usual combinations, but it seemed to work very well.

No, I tend to have other destinations and I never get around to it. With that said, that style is generally not my top preference. I know they did a peanut butter uni sushi one time, and I’m allergic to peanut butter, so in general I’ve avoided it. I will occasionally visit ZO DTLA if I want a non-traditional style. Maybe I’m missing out on Gari, but LA tends to have so much breadth that I end up choosing somewhere else.

@TheCookie I think the $300 sake (a bit below that for retail actually) came about as a discussion around Born sake and best places to drink it in LA, and also places that carry it for a ridiculous markup. Do I recommend people try Born: Dreams Come True? Yes, but it is not a super must. Since you are just starting out, drinking sake with sushi and appetizers is a very good and fun experience, but unless you have the taste for it, something lower end and affordable, good value for money, is more practical for you. @bulavinaka is absolutely right about Shunji’s house sake, which I believe is still his “Ichigo” 一期 sake (Junmai Ginjo) which the media said he brewed, though I think it was commissioned by him so that Suehiro brewery would brew and bottle the sake exclusive to him. Nobu (Matsuhisa) did that with Hokusetsu (Sado Island off the coast of Niigata Prefecture)…it’s Niigata sake by Hokusetsu, but given the “Nobu” label.

Suehiro brewery is located in Fukushima prefecture, and makes some really nice sake (e.g. “Ken” Daiginjo which is fantastic with izakaya fare, and their upper line “Gensai” Daiginjo might be a contender for something to enjoy at places like n/Naka…even their Junmai lesser polished sake is very good).

@BradFord: I had friends who went to Kenzo and Kinjo, not the greatest feedback on both. Kinjo does have some nice high end Junmai Daiginjo from their sake lineup, but my gut feeling tells me they are just trying too hard or wanting to have a more exquisite lineup for the sake of things, rather than focusing on trying to get the food profile just right to match the sake. Kenzo…feedback was more like unstructured progression, several kinds of grilled fish and none of the essentials of a kaiseki or hybrid kaiseki. Of course there was plenty of Kenzo wine, but didn’t pair well with the food. I’m guessing Hinata is like that too I suppose. It’s a bit worrisome when in general chefs spend a lot of time posting on instagram and social media to promote themselves, but there seems to be little effort towards the food, or trying to adjust the profile of the food with the right drink.

3 Likes

Thanks for the note. That’s a shame! I had high hopes for Kenzo in general since it was from chef Kanda. I am generally not partial to wine paired with kaiseki or sushi. Maybe a blanc de blancs or even something like Bollinger rose (which could work with some tuna and a nice nikiri shoyu), possibly a Raveneau 1er chablis, but IMO, tea or sake will almost always be the better pairing.

And I had high hopes for Kinjo since it’s down the street from me and I was hoping it could be a neighborhood go-to.

Hashiri was mixed - kaiseki part was OK, not as strong as Murata-san’s sushi, which btw, was quite good for some pieces, but noticably the pieces which required more prep work - kohada, ankimo, saba, tamagoyaki - were a touch off. There were too many “this is good but slightly off in taste” pieces for that $500p/p price point, which is really what you’ll pay with even semi modest drinking. Oh, SF, when will we get a truly proper place, that’s not insane to get into or out of its price quadrant? I think Wako’s pretty good, and An is a good value (for the prepared dishes; I don’t like their sushi).

Just another reason why it’s great to be in LA - among its many other cuisines with a lot of depth, their sushi is quite good, and there’s lots of options. Happy eating, The Cookie!

2 Likes

You are not off. The itamae’s “best of the day” is what someone like myself would be requesting. But, I also know from this board, that is not exactly what omakase means. There is my dilemma. Can we give a budget (something I’m not used to) then order a few items on the menu and also ask the itamae to give us items he/she likes (be it rare, fresh or whatever)? I think this would be more of a learning experience than being pigeonholed to either omakase or not.

In your words “the shit is complicated.”