Sushi Takeda (Formerly Sushi Hide) - Little Tokyo

delete

3 Likes

Hide-san needs surgery wrist surgery and will be out of commission for a few weeks, so I snuck in a barachirashi order this weekend.

Bigeye Tuna, Fatty Tuna, Flounder, White Shrimp, Trevally Jack, Ocean Trout, Uni, Ikura, Spear Squid, Gizzard Shad, Flying Fish Roe

Fantastic bites all around (I really like how everything is pre-marinaded) but the standouts were both the toro pieces, trout, and gizzard shad.

Depending on how he recovers, Hide-san thinks he’ll be back in April.

11 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNp3DQMhqmC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

4 Likes

Is this Hide related to the Hide on Sawtelle in West LA?

Nope. Sushi Hide =/= Hide Sushi

1 Like

Coming back next week for dine in!

10 Likes

Signature OOE Omakase

Hide-san is fully recovered from his wrist surgery and the counter is finally open. I really liked his otsumami, he’s doing a lot of things you can’t find in la.

highlights

• abalone sauce with rice aka “japanese risotto”, highlight of the night
  • hanasaki-gani was super sweet and briny, haven’t seen this crab at many places
  • shrimp and snapper spring roll
  • iwashi-maki
  • chawanmushi
  • ika meshi, something else I haven’t seen around much which is a shame because it’s delicious
  • shima aji
  • botan ebi
  • aji
  • hotate
  • anago

sunomono - baby abalone, mushroom, yuzu

shabu shabu - tako, kinome

hay-smoked masu, japanese mustard

abalone

female hanasaki-gani (hokkaido)

spring roll - shrimp, snapper, shiso

iwashi-maki

tai

akami

sakura masu

chawanmushi - uni, scallop, mushrooms

kinmedai

ika meshi

suzuki

shima aji

botan ebi

nodoguro

aji

kamasu

kohada, oboro

uni, ikura don

miso

hanasaki-gani gunkan maki

hotate

anago

chopped toro ohagi

kanpyo

tamago

fin

16 Likes

I had a very similar dinner there recently. Delicious. Lots of fun and some excellent bites. Hide-san’s assistant accidentally served the tako sahbu-shabu without the kinome; Hide-san noticed and corrected the mistake, and I was floored by the difference it made, elevating the dish to a completely different level (and prompting me to search online for a prickly ash tree for my garden). The kimo sauce in the abalone dish was incredible, tasting so much of seaweed and umami, and the rice ball to sop it up was brilliant (and the plain rice itself was perfect). I wish Chef Brandon would do that at Hayato.

For $250, I’d rather go to Sushi Kaneyoshi, but I’m eager to try Hide-san’s $100 nigiri omakase; looking at what other diners at the counter around me got, it looked like a decent QPR, with 10 or so pieces of nigiri sushi and several of the otsumami. Hide-san sliced all the neta himself and his assistant made the sushi (and served the pieces one at a time), thus the lower price. Mori-san had a similar set-up when I was there some months ago, but rather less desireable–only diners who ordered the full omakase could sit at the counter and have dishes prepared by Mori-san himself, while one assistant plated the otsumami and another assembled the nigiri-sushi (with painful slowness, hopefully she’s up to speed by now) to be served all at one time, to table customers who ordered the less-pricey sushi combo dinner.

FWIW, I would rank these 3 local-to-me sushi-ya preferences as: Sushi Kaneyoshi by far my favorite, then Hide, then Mori-hiro. All are excellent, but it’s interesting to compare what you get at each place for about the same price.

5 Likes

agree with you on all counts, including your ranking.

i loved the kinome leaves too, i had them with hayato’s takenoko gohan and they made all the difference in the world.

i hope so too, i was seriously tempted to just use my finger and scrape it off the plate.

hide-san did seem very busy at times, having to do multiple different omakases at the counter and table, alc orders and takeout orders all at the same time. i think that resulted in some temperature issues with the nigiri, but nothing too bad like what i had at shin.

Delicious photos.

1 Like

Who’s got the strongest tamago in the game right now?

(Because this looks pretty damn good)

1 Like

Depends on what you like in a tomago? The tamagoyaki game is high now.

Any and all. Sweet, savory, rolled, fluffy, whatever, I will like it and love it.

Except for that super salty crab omelette sando at Konbi–that was a miss.

1 Like

If cake-y and dessert is your game, I love Jimmy Sugashita’s version.
For a more traditional take, Shin and Kaneyoshi’s are so very good.

1 Like

good eye, hide-san’s castella tamagoyaki is one of the tops in the city for me. up there with hayato’s bento datemaki tamago.

3 Likes

I guess they changed their name? Now Sushi Takeda

3 Likes

Afraid of competition from Hide sushi?!? (Kidding, promise lol)

1 Like

thanks, title changed.

2 Likes

The “official” former website has now been changed to a fan website for Sushi Takeda.