Sweet Dixie Kitchen in Long Beach Defends Repackaging Popeye's Fried Chicken

A typical deli doesn’t claim to make everything from scratch like she does?

5 Likes

Oh, you’re quoting the owner’s defense. I get it.

Buying fried chicken from Popeye’s surely results in a better sandwich than buying frozen pre-fried chicken from Sysco, but I guess she somehow doesn’t get that doing that while promoting her food as “healthier and lighter” is false advertising.

1 Like

Along with the claims of cooking from scratch, homemade food, etc and so forth.

2 Likes

I expect plenty of places buy food from Sysco and other sources.

What I was attempting to say was that I wondered how many places that claim to cook from scratch, with local ingredients, etc. - and an emphasis on the food being healthier - are not actually doing what they’re claiming to do.

2 Likes

Places that make claims about sourcing often have open kitchens where you can see what they’re up to.

I know some don’t buy non-food supplies from Sysco, even though they would like to, because they don’t want the delivery trucks to give people the wrong idea.

2 Likes

Reminds me of some of the reports on farmer’s markets, restaurants, etc:

I’ll take Popeye’s fried chicken over Sysco’s any day of the week, but she needs some work on her defense. First she equates cooking fried chicken to milling ones own flour, then goes on to admit that actually she also buys pre-cooked pork when she runs out.

When I was a young grease monkey working the fryer at a seafood shack maybe 1/2 of the fried food was industrial prepackaged frozen (fries, fried chicken, shrimp, scallops) with half prepared from fresh seafood (oysters, clams, flounder, squid). So you could actually get a very good meal if you knew what to order.

2 Likes

I think a lot of restaurants in this town should be renamed “The Sysco Reheatery”…