Sweet Lady Jane (Encino)

new ownership i bet. Then probably lease deal with the landlords.

I disagree with this. As I stated above, the fact that there is a law suit pending from an employee for wage and hour really doesn’t mean anything. If everyone railed on a business because they had a pending wage and hour lawsuit from a SINGLE employee (it’s not a class action unless it’s certified, just in CA you can file it pre certification to solicit members) everyone would be boycotting everywhere. As an employment attorney - Just reading the comments on Reddit/IG about “wage theft” “withholding wages” makes my eyes roll so far back my head I have a migraine.

3 Likes

For me, the disgust isn’t about the wage theft. It was the “we care so much about our treasured employees!” but then not telling them ahead of time that they were closing (so employees actually still had personal belongings on the premises) and the “we can’t do business b/c CA is so evil!” that annoyed the f*ck out of me.

And some of the social media comments have been about that specifically (and, yes, some of them have been about wage theft).

5 Likes

The main thing that’s weird about SLJ is that they closed suddenly with no notice to employees and customers.

The IG post suggests they’re reopening six locations. Maybe someone bought the place or creditors took over or something like that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C31l0AxsUUq/

2 Likes

a lot of times that’s just the reality of the business. Especially if its tied into a lease agreement. It sucks but it happens, especially somewhere that has a lot of part time employees. They aren’t the first or the last business to close abruptly.

my thought is another PE firm bought the IP rights and re-negotiated a lease deal

I work with a number of PE firms in the restaurant space and you’d be surprised how much stuff changes hands in an instant

1 Like

Well today my mind was blown. I admit, I was MORE than bemused by SLJ’s sudden closing and leaving it’s customers and more than anything it’s employees in complete lurch. I’ve had my share of Triple Berry Cake slices over the year, but honestly, even my fanciest clients were happiest when I bought Portos so I was never a big customer of SLJs. I am however a HUGE customer of Pacific French Bakery. So to hear they bought SLJ was like… WOW and Good for them! The power of the best bollio ever!!!

Now, if SLJ start selling those awesome tortas with the French Ham, Mexican Cheese and Jalapenos… now I’ll go.

Excellent coverage by Mona at Eater who has been on this since the closing! Hope this chills some of the bad vibes out there.

10 Likes

Interesting. I’m an idiot when it comes to marketing, but I wonder if there would be an utility in Ngo making it more clear that the name/company is under new ownership, even if though the old recipes were retained.

I’ve never tried Pacific French Bakery but will certainly be interested in trying SLJ under new management. Glad to hear that some former employees will be coming back.

2 Likes

I think that should have been part of their first announcement, along with an outreach to former employees, rather than just teasers about reopening.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Santa Monica location is open:

3 Likes

But then had to close again! Previous owners didn’t apply for permits for their remodel. Bleh.

New owners are offering free delivery to customers w/i 5 miles:

5 Likes