T’is BLT time, Post your favs

The Mendocino Farms one is pretty darn delicious.

3 Likes

Friends & Family

Thick bacon, basil and a fried egg.

Not your father’s BLT …

1 Like

Doesn’t count, but nothing beats home grown lettuce, heirloom tomatoes on home made sourdough toasted with bacon fat
https://instagram.com/p/Bk6VyJ7gcc7/

6 Likes

I bet. I think most Mendocino Farms sandwiches are pretty darn delicious.

I had a BLTA @ The Counter last week (quick workday lunch) that was tasty. Actually it was better than I thought it would be. Good quality ingredients throughout. I’m a big fan of avocado in my BLT.

Since you are the person Ipse, who believes XLB can’t be seen as Dumplings, (Chowhound) I’m going to have to say that sandwich doesn’t qualify as a BLT in the slightest.

That is a THICC cut tomato.

Breakfast BLT (con huevos) at Marty’s (on Pico in West LA, a few blocks east of Overland)…

Marty's

4 Likes

Clementine puts out a pretty good one. I think it usually pops onto the menu in late summer (available from late July-September).

1 Like

My bad.

The arugula in your BLT from Mendocino Farms threw me off. My bad.

#ArugulaNotLettuce

2 Likes

The sandwich itself was pretty tasty but there are a few minor complaints.

1. Needs more bacon
  2. The mayo is too sweet. I’d prefer Kewpie
  3. The tomatoes are cut too thick. When you bite into the sandwich a lot of tomato squeezes out. See picture below.

3 Likes

Always.

1 Like

I’ve been addicted to a Yuzu mayo that I found at Epicurus Gourmet lately. I bet it would help make a fine BLT.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be like … Miracle Whip? (Which I love, by the way. #NoShame)

1 Like

Is it citrus that gives Miracle Whip it’s tang? I’ve never considered it before. I, too, also love Miracle Whip. Growing up, I used to make my Mom buy Miracle Whip…my own kids haven’t developed an appreciation for it, yet.

I believe it’s more the vinegar (and maybe paprika) that gives Miracle Whip its hallmark tang, but between us chickens, yuzu would work just as well.

1 Like

I wish the version at Sugar Rush in Walnut had better tomatoes, but the lettuce, thick and flavorful bacon, and avocado (ok, so it’s an ABLT) still make it a good version that is infinitely better in the summer, when the tomatoes are ok.

Picture from Yelp:

2 Likes

I bought the same mayo and used it for tuna fish salad. Added a lovely lemony flavor along with the wonderful texture of Japanese mayo. Counting the days until they reopen!

3 Likes

Tuna salad?!? I am so trying that with the Ortiz I have in the jar.

I may need to hack this.
Kewpie + Yuzu kosho sounds pretty great.

2 Likes

As you probably know Costco has Genova oil packed tuna for a pittance. I use this with some wonderful whiskey barrel aged fish sauce I got from Epicurus according to this advice, https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/how-to-make-the-best-tuna-salad-sandwich.html. Although, to be honest, I just dump some fish sauce in until I think it is right. I don’t tell my wife about it until after she has tasted it as she has a superstition about anchovies. Actually I don’t admit it even after she says it is the best ever. Discretion is often the better part of valor! Far cry from a BLT but my home smoked bacon just went moldy and it will be several weeks until I have a new batch. So it goes.

3 Likes