Taj Tandoori in Palms is growing on me

Out of curiosity, how does a proper palak paneer look, and what should the texture of the paneer be like?

1 Like

This post made me realize how amazing a greasy sausage would be in a bowl of haleem

I reread my post that you’re responding to, and I realize that I should have mentioned that the market selling Halal meat is the one next to Taj. Charga House has no sausage seller next door. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

No confusion. The cool kids keep taking about doing these “bang bangs” and sticking a greasy banger in a bowl of haleem sounds like bang bang I could go for right about now

then again, I’m currently hungover

2 Likes

That bang bang should be imperative if you’re hung over. And it should go on that drunk stoned thread - with pix!

A proper palak paneer or saag paneer (if made with more than spinach greens) should taste of the greens, not of cream and garam masala. It should tend more to the rustic end of the spectrum.

And proper paneer should be soft and yielding to the tooth, not at all rubbery or dense. Unless you’ve had good home-made paneer it’s hard to know what it should be like. Fortunately, it’s very easy to make at home and once you’ve done it you’ll have a tough time putting up with the restaurant paneer in most Indian restaurants in the US. Here’s the recipe I use.

3 Likes

Here’s my update.

I was looking forward to returning to Taj Tandoori since I enjoyed my previous meal there so much. I ordered the palak paneer with garlic naan again, and I told the owner how I really appreciated his restraint with the cream. Once again, he was very warm and welcoming.

However, when I opened up my meal at home, I noticed that the color of my palak paneer was several shades lighter. My fears were confirmed, as the curry was too mild, excessively creamy, and the texture was quite smooth. All that glorious funk was gone - the swampy green, murky color, the fragrant aromatics, and the prominent ginger kick was replaced by a pleasantly bland, yet rather meek curry. I can only imagine this is due to several complaints on Taj Tandoori’s Yelp page regarding the spiciness of their food, as reported by @Bigmouth previously:

“One point I forgot to mention: if you like the spicy food at Taj Tandoori, be sure to let the owners know. The place gets great reviews on Yelp, but they’re starting to get a handful of complaints by people who can’t handle the heat.”

I’m not giving up hope yet. Next time I go there, I’ll see if I can convince the owner to make the spicier/less creamy version of the dish. Let’s see how it goes, but I’m pretty sad about this turn of events. :cry:

3 Likes

Hit Taj Tandoori over the weekend while my memory of Chargha House was still fresh. The spicy Taj Pathani Chicken was even better than I remembered and definitely superior to the Chargha Chicken. I also prefer the cilantro-mint chutney at Taj Tandoori (though they’re a little stingy with the portions).

While I was there, I took the opportunity to implore the owner not to listen to reviews complaining the food was “too spicy.” He was quite adamant in his assurance they will not change a thing.

Here’s the chicken:

And gobi paratha:

3 Likes

Read all this good stuff here. Tried to check this out today. Sign said they are closed and will re-open under new management.

Went next door to Shawarma Land. The cheap advertised prices outside drew me in. I had no idea a shawarma wrap could be so greasy. It’s like they took a greasy shwarma and then dumped grease on it because grease is their signature. Their ‘word’ if you will…

1 Like

Such disappointing news. Seems wrong to “like” your post lol. But appreciate the info nonetheless.

1 Like