'Tampopo' screening for one week at the Nuart in late October

Public Service Announcement:

Not sure if this belongs on the LA Board or the Food in Media Board… Anyhoo, this is one of my favorite food films of all time, and it’s coming to the Nuart for one week run starting Oct. 28th:

14 Likes

That’s one of my favorite films, period. Plan ahead for where you’re going to eat noodles afterwards.

4 Likes

Shinsengumi is in perilous proximity to the theater. And Kotoya, Tsujita, and Kimukatsu are not much further afoot.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! It’s been at least fifteen years since the last time I saw this.

Hey, there are other noodle movies too…

2 Likes

that egg though.

It’s hard for me to see that poster and not feel a great deal of sadness at what happened to the female lead. :frowning:

And now back to food…

1 Like

actually i remember her most for being the voice of lu ann on king of the hill. and the gangster in tampopo was sugiyama in the good version of shall we dance, which had no food scenes but the busybody lady catered food to help support her dance habit, which is as close to food related content as i can manage in this comment.

2 Likes

And Tentenyu! I live in walking distance of all of these, and it’s my new local favorite.

… and we’re now in the window. Bumping.

Yes, I already saw it Friday night. So damn hungry afterwards (whatdja expect?!)…

Our ravenous party ended up (very happily) at Morinoya after the screening (they’re open til midnight!). We really loved the Osaka-style battera, and experienced the BEST DAMN MATSUTAKE DOBINMUSHI IN L.A. Mori-san and the staff at Morinoya made us happy campers. Gochisosama deshita!

3 Likes

I was going ask if you made it. Seems you had a great time. Had it on our calendar thanks to you. But we’re both getting over the flu :mask: and stayed home. Oh sigh…

Vitamin C, chicken soup, rest, and ‘Tampopo’ on stream. Netflix and chill.
Feel better.

5 Likes

Perfect! I was wondering if it was on streaming.

We had this last night from Jinya Mid-Wilshire. Not as good as you have on the westside. But we’ll probably have it again today :relaxed:.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Any ramen joint with a line ought to hang a big screen and play this movie on a loop for waiting eaters.

4 Likes

Definitely better than playing the Yoshida Brothers ad nauseum at 120BPM on repeat…

1 Like

Two chopsticks sticking up out of bowl = Bad mojo (in certain Asian cultures). FYI.

3 Likes

Sweet. Tell me more. I definitely learn more on this board than I do from my Japanese-American cousins… and we’re really close.

In Japan, bowls of rice with vertically-placed chopsticks are placed at graves as offerings to the departed.

I’ve always aspired to be this elderly lady in Tampopo:

5 Likes

Love it. Where should I rest my chopsticks?

1 Like

Place them on a chopstick holder/rest, @TheCookie. If you aren’t provided with a holder, you can make your own with the wrapper.

Courtesy of The Secret Yumiverse: How to Fold a Chopsticks Rest from Its Paper Wrapper « The Secret Yumiverse :: WonderHowTo

5 Likes