Tata's Cafe (Hawthorne): A Pictorial Essay

Yes, Hawthorne.

Jeff Bovon, the man behind Angeleno Foodies and also fine foodstuffs purveyor J&J Distributors, has dusted off and re-donned his restauranteur hat! His newest venture, Tata’s Cafe, takes over an old pupuseria space near the corner of Hawthorne and El Segundo Boulevards. Making maximum use of his excellently-sourced ingredients, Chef Aaron and Jeff presented us a soft open tasting menu this evening to serve as a preview of what’s to come at this location. Let’s go!!!

Pre-bang: The epic chicken biryani and garlic naan, from Zam Zam Market! (Well, it was just too temptingly close by…)

Back alley entrance…

West Coast oyster, uni, caviar, ikura, finger lime & borage blossom… Perfectly shucked and chilled. Huge bite!

Stone crab claws, cabernet mustard sauce… Satisfyingly huge chunks of crab meat!

Lobster bisque, toasted baguette, dill, nasturtium & saffron aioli… Top 3 best lobster bisque in L.A.! Huge bite slurp!

Crispy chicken skin & lobster stack, caviar, passionfruit aioli & chives… Beautiful! The caviar isn’t just a luxe garnish - It does a lot of heavy lifting in contributing to the balance of flavors here. Huge bite!

Rosemary-crusted lamb chop, beluga lentils, sous vide leeks & beurre rouge… So tender.

Toasted wagyu strip sirloin, Napa red reduction, duck fat ruby potato confit, Brussel sprouts & broccolini… Really nice.

Dessert time!

Chocolate hazelnut bread pudding, bourbon cream sauce, Chantilly cream & berries… Served with a properly pulled latte, this was just the right amount of sweetness.

The quality ingredients here, with solid prep by the kitchen and friendly service all make me want to return to Tata’s Cafe for another meal. I hear they’re serving brunch also. Jeff and his team are off to a great start here in the South Bay!

RECOMMENDED.

Tata’s Cafe
12627 Hawthorne Bl.
Hawthorne, CA 90250

22 Likes

wow has Hawthorne had such an exciting opening in recent memory? and a short drive from my house too.

1 Like

Zam Zam (relocation from Culver City)!

1 Like

@J_L how does one acquire reservations and what budget should we have going in? Also wine pairings or cocktails?

2 Likes

I DM’ed their Facebook page. $150pp. Pay via Venmo or Zelle. BYOB.

3 Likes

if you can believe it, Zam Zam relocated six years ago! so not sure if that really counts as an exciting recent opening! Zam Zam Has Returned as LA's Best South Asian Restaurant - Eater LA

1 Like

I have long recent memory then LOL…

2 Likes

Food is impeccable and great hospitality. Thoroughly enjoyed every course, the lobster stack was phenomenal.

7 Likes

I agree, and welcome to Food Talk Central!