Thanksgiving 2019

Share your Thanksgiving preparations, your feast, drinks and general food-related holiday joy here!

1 Like

The feast preparation has already begun. We’re having about 15 people over for an all day fest. I’m paring the menu down because I’m straight out too lazy to do the entire full spread this year.

Various appetizers from Trader Joe’s, Costco veggie tray
Roasted Turkey stuffed with citrus, herbs, and garlic butter
Mashed potatoes and gravy from turkey drippings
Corn casserole
Chrissy Teigen’s Mac & Cheese
Corn (sous vide with butter)
Carrots (sous vide with herbs)
Roasted asparagus with pancetta, walnuts, and lemon
Assorted desserts from Porto’s

3 Likes

That sounds great. I haven’t had corn casserole in ages. A friend used to bring it every year, it was so good.

My family won’t allow me to not have it on the menu. It’s hard to deny them when it’s so easy and requires only 5 ingredients. I’ve taught the chowpups the recipe so they actually help me the night before mixing. I just throw it into the oven with the mac & cheese and mashed potatoes to cook/heat while the turkey rests.

1 Like

Oh, can you tell me about the sous vide corn? Do you do corn on the cob or just frozen? I’ve got 2 bags of TJ’s white supersweet corn in the freezer that I would like to use now that romaine lettuce has been recalled and my family has decided that means ALL lettuce should be recalled. All the recipes that I’ve found are for corn on the cob, but I assume it works for frozen off the cob too, right?

I’m also using TJ’s frozen corn. I vacuum seal it with salt, pepper, and about a stick of butter for every 3 bags. It feels like eating confit corn. If you want something less decadent, I highly recommend the Bordier Butter with pimenton.
I haven’t made a salad for a holiday meal in a long time…because the poor little salad never gets touched when there are so many other delicious sides.

3 Likes

Mary’s heritage turkey, salted overnight, no stuffing
rolls
mashed potatoes
gravy (using turkey stock made a few weeks ago with backs, necks, etc. from the butcher)
cranberry sauce
bread casserole (“stuffing”)
sweet potatoes with bacon, anchovies, and hot pepper
slow-cooked broccoli rabe with garlic, apple balsamic, Red Boat, and espelette
butternut squash pie
pecan pie (full of pecans all the way through)

Hmm … maybe I’ll make some carrots.

1 Like

That sounds so much better than marshmallows.

Like sweet potatoes need more sugar.

2 Likes

Honey baked ham
Smoked chicken
Smoked short ribs
Brussels sprouts from Ottolenghi cookbook
Chestnut stuffing
Creamed spinach
Green bean casserole
Butternut squash with pancetta and roasted garlic
Rassleback scalloped potatoes Kenji Lopez recipe
Mac n cheese
Cranberry sauce

3 Likes

I made enough room in the fridge for the 20-lb. turkey just by moving some the fermented stuff to a cooler overnight. Damn, we have a lot of pickles, kimchi, kraut, and hot sauce.

1 Like

Pictures from lunch

2 Likes

3 Likes

A friend of a friend has a persimmon tree, so I made a cranberry-persimmon sauce. (My son made the bowl.)

2 Likes

That pecan pie looks great.

Your son’s ceramic work is always so impressive!
Nice combination of cranberry and persimmons, too.

Everybody loves the pecan pie. Good buttery crust. The filling is a custard like salted caramel. Pairs well with the pecan topping. $35 for the pie but it’s become our tradition.