Thanksgiving lunch or dinner in a restaurant, hav eyou ever done it

Not counting when I was in other countries, I’ve done it twice.

A few years ago four of us went to Schroeder’s, a divey old-school German bar-restaurant in SF. The pork knuckle I ordered was great, glad I didn’t order the turkey as it was was overcooked and bad, scene was kind of depressing because of lonely- and depressed-looking pensioner types but we drank a lot and had fun. (The place has since been made over into an upscale restaurant and probably isn’t open on Thanksgiving any more.)

Last year we went to Wayfare Tavern, Tyler Florence’s upscale erzatz old-SF place. The meal was family-style and we were seated with a bunch of other locals, interesting people, good conversation, fun times, mostly great food. I’d consider that again.

Thanksgiving at the LA Convention Center (I think) during the auto show. Or was it the Long Beach auto show? This was like 20 yrs ago. It was decent, I guess.

To-go from the Ritz Carlton in Pasadena. Delicious. Was enough to feed a small army (we only had to feed 3).

@wienermobile: I did Thanksgiving at Melisse once and loved it! Sorry to hear your experience was disappointing. I thought the turkey was so good (and I am NOT a turkey fan, normally) that I nearly licked the plate clean!

That looks SO delicious…

You two suck.

@Happybaker you do realize we have a board for our Cleveland friends, rights?

Or do you just not like us? Don’t answer that.

Ipsedixit: Can’t find Cleveland board from main menu?

I’ve had Thanksgiving meals at restaurants for the past three years: Eleven Madison Park (outstanding), Zingerman’s Roadhouse (okay), Melisse (mediocre). This year it will be at Scarpetta. I’ll report back on how it is.

1 Like

Did Scarpetta buffet a few years ago and it was wonderful. The best part was The Bevery Hills Cheese Shop had it’s own station and I just couldn’t stay away…

photo from Kevineats

Lucky Kitchen
Plymouth Rd
Ann Arbor

orange chicken was good.

1 Like

Good cheese at a buffet??? Yum…

1 Like

There’s a Midwest board. No posts about Cleveland yet.

1 Like

Ipsedixit -

Hey! I wuv you guys!

Didn’t want to post in full as it has some non-food/museum info. I’ll do a tighter list and post it.

Well (blush) there isn’t one technically. Just a big Midwestern board.

I suppose if you wanted a board dedicated to Cleveland or maybe Ohio, @robert might be able to set it up for you.

Or maybe we could have a dedicated Buca di Beppo board?

1 Like

Kevin,

The hubster and I do Thanksgiving dinner in a restaurant every year - Dim Sum in rowland heights!

We tried doing the “normal” restaurants and to get anything as nice as homemade, you had to pay heaps (think Craft or Scarpetta) and as we were struggling writers for years, we didn’t do that very often. Then we found fab dim sum and, a tradition was born. We love it!

(And you can order enough to have Thanksgiving leftovers : )

3 Likes

This makes me so happy.

I don’t even know why.

But it just does.

1 Like

Trust me, it makes us very happy as well!

1 Like

For us Jews it’s Chinese for Xmas!:evergreen_tree:and unfortunately Buca Di Beppo for Turkey Day….

1 Like

I did Maggiano’s 4 or 5 years ago (in Chicago) and it was better than at least 80% of my family’s thanksgiving dinners.

1 Like

Sounds fucking dope.

Which joint do you guys hit up ???

I’ve eaten Thanksgiving in a restaurant just once before, at the now out-of-business Buggy Whip. This year my family is dining out again, this time at Joe’s Restaurant in Venice. My family went without me last year and enjoyed it so they opted for the same place. I’ll report back on the Thanksgiving dining experience :poultry_leg:

1 Like

sounds pretty fucking dope.

I’ve heard that joe’s does a nice little Tday feast. what’s the going rate these days, 50 per or more ???