The 19 best (or is it "essential"?) Filipino restaurants in Los Angeles

While a decent enough list, I did get a chuckle that their very first entry (Ninong’s Pastries & Cafe Inc) moved locations a few weeks prior to this list’s publish date. Correct address is:

19524-3 Nordhoff St
Northridge, CA 91324

Also thought it was interesting to see LA Rose Cafe was removed from the list in the update, but Silog in Torrance is on the list, along with Jollibee. Now, I certainly like Silog and all, but to call it “Best” or an “Essential” Filipino restaurant is a bit of a stretch, IMO, as is leaving it on the list while removing a local institution like LA Rose Cafe.

Jollibee, while certainly an easy case to be made for being “Essential,” just isn’t really very good, IMO.

Also would have liked to see a take on Gerry’s Grill in Artesia, but I’m assuming it and Max’s vie for the same “spot” on the list, with Max’s taking it.

Oh well, such are the limitations of using nice round numbers like 19 in listicles, heaven forbid we land on one with a vulgar number of restaurants like 22. :joy:

4 Likes

Plus, they aren’t even open for business! They are closed for the time being, and their website says they have a new menu coming.

There’s a new place in Northridge called Kusina Nu Koya (sp?). I haven’t been myself, but I’ve walked by it a few times while going to another business in that shopping center and it’s always pretty busy.

We ate a Silog a couple weeks ago. We liked it. They also had a about 10-12 guests having a serious feast. All eating off of banana leaves, all using their fingers, all having a really good time.

I’ve eaten Filipino food periodically (almost all get-together/party/wedding food). So I’ve only tested the waters - not really swam in it - but Silog even got the egg right (for me).

I ordered the sig sig with garlic fried rice. Having a fried egg with pan fried xhopped up pig parts and fried rice would have been fried overkill fir me. Instead, the dish was served with a perfectly soft boiled egg with a runny yolk - not boiled the shit out of it till the yolk turns grey-green hard boiled egg that I will toss in the trash if no one takes it.

Really?? Their Instagram says they should have reopened last Saturday…

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Silog and I’m not really trying to knock it at all… it’s just I find the relative curation of this listicle a little suspect, and they got picked-on as my example vs. LA Rose Cafe.

I wish Silog had a more extensive menu, though…

1 Like

On their website right now:
HOURS & INFO
19524-3 Nordhoff St.
Northridge, CA 91324
818-453-5486
TEMPORARILY CLOSED

And if you click on the Menu tab, it says new menu coming soon.

I haven’t been to the new location to see for myself though. The last couple meals I had at the old location were not great, so not in a rush to try it again.

for want of a more appropriate thread, i note that the filipino supermarket in the eagle rock mall now boasts a crispy town

and now a grill city occupies the spot to the right

with menus that seem tailored to a filipino demographic.

1 Like

Kusina Filipina is good.