The American Style BBQ thread

it’s either oakridge competition beef & pork rub, or meat church holy cow.

1 Like

You guys impress me. I think this is definitely above my pay-grade, but that meat is really gorgeous. Kudos.

1 Like

There was definitely some initial investment, but having bbq in the fridge at all times is so damn awesome I can’t even. Just pull a rack out of the fridge and heat it up, BOOM whole rack of baby back ribs for dinner - $6.

Bludso’s is slanging brisket for $22/lb!!! Costso has USDA prime brisket for $3/lb…even with 50% weight loss, we’re still talking a mere $6/lb raw material cost, plus whatever briquettes and wood you want to use.

2 Likes

Not so much $, but the sheer know-how.

1 Like

So you don’t make your rubs? We’ve found that pretty easy and good.

I figure if most competition guys don’t make their own rubs, who the hell am I to think I can do better than some of these higher end rub vendors.

I think it’s all about the meat and the smoke. But I’m a newbie.

1 Like

Know-how is attainable, grasshopper, but you must have the interest to pursue it. Amazing Ribs is a great website for how-to’s and product reviews. If you can follow directions, you can get started.

I have made my own, and they are good, but I’ve found that, for that much effort, a good pre-made rub does just great. Besides, I found that I was always wanting to make enough to last, and if you’re storing it (or using pre-ground spices), you’re losing the benefit of the freshness anyway. I just look for a rub that doesn’t have any (or very few) fillers or chemicals.

1 Like

Pok Pok style hickory smoked baby back ribs. 300 for 2 hours and change.

4 Likes

Those look amazing. And so meaty. Where did you get them?

Gelsons actually. A notably higher quality than Costco. $4.99/lb, about $7.50 for that slab.

1 Like

also a pair of spare ribs. i’m undecided about leaving the tips on, but the wife seemed to really enjoy it so…

240ish for 6 hours or so. foiled one of them for 30 minutes to test it out. will experiment with more foiling next time as I dial in this setup for ribs.

2 Likes

Nice work! Funny you’re experimenting with foiling. After seeing your posts, I’ve decided to experiment with not foiling. We’ll have to compare notes.

I’m a bit torn - I really do enjoy the bark, but seeing other people’s posts of ribs after foiling, the foiled ribs certainly look juicier.

Having said that, the convenience of no-foil cannot be understated.

From your pics, it doesn’t look like you’ve got a problem with your ribs drying out.

FWIW, I also put a foil pan full of apple juice in the cooking chamber. Not sure if it helps or not.

We have a favorite BBQ place in Seattle and they have “burnt ends” as a side dish. Insanely good. Unctuous :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it pork ? looks great .

Just use water for that.

Spritz with apple juice or my favorite, apple cider vinegar.

Water pan keeps the relative humidity right for those dry days.

I do this purely for less color. Ribs IMO are most tasty when mahogany colors, like a deep caramel color.

I used to make ribs with a bark, but it is too smokey for my tastes for such a thin piece of meat.

I say go for deep caramel color and then foil keep from getting too dark. Just my experiences.

This is my ideal color.

2 Likes

Good advice. Thanks.

My spritz is 8 parts apple cider or balsamic vinegar, one part soy sauce, and one part Worcestershire sauce. I use balsamic when I don’t plan on using sauce. It works particularly well on beef ribs.