The Canned Wine Thread

Not if you’re a pro and drink straight from the tap :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Plus the box doesn’t address one of the concerns that (I think) prompted this thread about not wanting to open a whole bottle when you’re only drinking a glass or two. Although maybe wine in a box stays drinkable longer after opening? Or are there boxes smaller than 750ml?

No that pretty much hits the nail on the head…the allure of canned wine is being able to drink it 12oz at a time without the rest of the bottle going bad.

Au contraire. The Block '67 box wine that I mentioned lasts for up to 45 days after being opened (according to the Trader Joe’s website). And since the box is three liters, a glass-a-day would get you through a month for $11.99.

And the boxes of wine that @robert mentioned supposedly last for up to four weeks after being opened.

Bag-in-box keeps longer because little or no air gets into the bag. The small boxes without bags are just like screwcap bottles except you can squeeze the air out before you re-cap them

1 Like

removing incorrect post

Sorry I ain’t keeping an open anything of wine for 45 days, label be damned.

And damned may it be!

But yeah, me neither. I was merely stating what is possible.

I’ve enjoyed canned wine as well. I don’t recall the brand (might have been Fiction by Field Recordings), but I do recall that it fit perfectly well in my coat pocket, past security, and into the cupholder of my seat in the movie theatre.

I also love the little canned sake from Mitsuwa that are a couple bucks each. (edit: @beefnoguy - curious on your take re: canned sake or if you have any recommendations)

I s’pose what I’m trying to say is, when it comes to boxed wine or wine in a can, there’s advantages to both.

Bag-in-box isn’t open the way a bottle is. The bag shrinks around the decreasing amount of wine, so the wine stays fresh.

At a certain point there’s not enough liquid left in the bag for that to work, air starts bubbling in, and then it goes bad as fast as a bottle would.

1 Like

I have very little experience with sake in cans. There seems to be demand for these neat little individually portioned sake containers, and the buzzword for them lately is “One Cup Sake”. A majority of them seem to be in glass or glass looking cups rather than cans and can come in a wide variety of designs and flavors, most of them Ginjo and I’ve seen a few Junmai or Junmai Ginjo.

Earlier this year I have tried a really good canned sake, but it’s actually quite large, 720 mL size

There is also this one

but I’ve only tried Narutotai. It’s super delicious, and it’s unpasteurized, so drink it chilled. If you want to take it to the next level, stick it in the freezer until it turns to slush. Then pour it out at a party and have fun with it…Sake Slurpee!

1 Like

Thanks, @robert. The bag-in-box is what I must have read about at some point.

There’s a bag in the box.

I bought one of those TJ 1.5s and did not see a bag when I tore off the plastic spout to recycle the box.

I’ve never heard of boxed wine not having the bladder. Odd.

As I’ve been doing more research - I think the difference is the smaller (1 liter or less) tetra boxes, which are just a box, versus the larger (2-3 liter) bag-in-box types.

"Tetra Paks are composed of a mix of paper, polyethelene, and aluminum with a tight polyethylene inside layer, which makes contact with the wine. "

Well, by gawd, I think you’re right!

that’s odd. I bought mine when they first put them out and there was a bag in there (like other boxed wine)—this was several months ago.

Thanks for the reply! This slush idea sounds like such a good idea.

Ah. This must be it, because reporting live from atop my tattered rug…

1 Like

Tried the Alloy 2014 Grenache Rosé last night. 12.5% and barely blushing - could just pick up on Rosé notes/flavors but slight metallic flavor was distracting at first. It seemed to go away after about 4-5 ounces - maybe it was the wine talking…

For me, 12.5% is a little light on a normal day - prefer 13.5-14%. But for an “outside four walls” setting, it’s fine. But drinking 500ml of 12.5% wine - 2/3 of a bottle - can be deceptively easy out of a can, at least for me.

1 Like

I must have been confusing the Postulate wines with some other box wine I had with a milk-carton-style screw cap. They are bag-in-box with a spout at the bottom, so they should last somewhat longer than bottles, until you get to the point where there’s not enough wine left in the bag to keep air from bubbling in.