The Cannibal on Platform in Culver City

FYI - the restaurant part of the business is open. Here’s their menu: http://thecanniballa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/CannibalLA_Dinner_Menu_20160527.pdf

Is that really a 320 dollar steak?

Article on the “general tso’s pig head”–Favorite Dishes, #90: General Tso's Pig's Head at the Cannibal - The Village Voice

Actually looks worth trying.

Had a chance to try the General Tso’s Pork and the “Prime Rib” sandwiches.

I actually enjoyed both, but the winner between the two was definitely the meaty and flavorful General Tso’s. The slices of pork in my sandwich were thicker than the ones in @theoffalo’s pic, and the sandwich was a little larger. The Chinese broccoli reminded me a bit of the porchetta melt at Gjusta.

However, I also enjoyed the “Prime Rib,” which I’m putting in quotes because that name is a slight misnomer. It’s actually called the “Whole Rib” on the menu because it includes both prime rib and short rib together. That’s why the sandwich is so unctuous and fatty. It’s like a braised beef rib on bread.

As such, I think it’s pretty good. The problem is the reference to “prime rib” on the menu creates an expectation of beef roasted to a gorgeous medium rare like they serve on the Gjusta butcher. And it creates dissonance when instead you get this braised beef rib that reads as overdone by comparison.

Add to that the fact the rib sandwich is one of the most expensive items on the menu ($18 compared to $12 for the General Tso’s) and it’s a recipe for disappointment.

I did a Loqui and Cannibal bang bang today and ordered the Pig head terrine cuban which was really good and maybe better pickles away from being great. Fairly priced as well.

1 Like

What was the bread like? Really looking forward to trying this sandwich.

Haven’t been yet but the chef (Francis Derby) has a very good rep in NYC as being very talented. He’s got a pretty amazing CV and I personally loved the food he made at Tailor (although I’m probably in the minority there).

The bread was ‘good enough’ It seemed like it was an italian type roll that was pressed down for the sandwich. maybe a little dry for my taste and it would have been nice if they let the insides get a touch hotter if i’m going to nit pick. All in all it was a real tasty sandwich though. Maybe next time i’ll bring one of those ‘sanwich pickles’ from Trader joe’s. would be perfect.

Cannibaling tonight!

Nice, might be going tonight too to check out their new happy hour. 530-630p charcuterie spread (ayce but we’ll use our manners), $20 bottles of rose, $5 old fashioned on draft, $3 craft beer cans.

Edit: won’t make it tonight unfortunately. Definitely need to check it out soon!

1 Like

Sounds fun!

The Cannibal Butcher Shop has been switching up their menu a bit. Some new offerings and no more daily specials. Split two of the new sandwiches the other day. The first was very good, the second was outstanding.

First the good: buttermilk fried chicken with harissa mayo ($11). This was tasty and I would get it again.

However, the real revelation was the pulled pork sandwich ($11). Tender and smokey with a nice mustard sauce and carrot slaw. SO GOOD. One of the best pulled pork sandwiches I’ve had recently.

3 Likes

Terrible pic but delicious brisket sandwich from the butcher shop. Tender and smokey. They are doing some wonderful things with smoked meat.

5 Likes

Sounds like this place has gotten it’s sea legs now. The Westside used to be a wasteland for good smoked meat. But thanks to your arrival, we are now blessed… :pray:

1 Like

Lunch at Cannibal.

Baby Gems Lettuce.

Most boring salad ever.

Chicken Pineapple Sausage

Napa cabbage with what tasted like Kewpie Roasted Sesame dressing and tasty, but salty, sausage. No pineapple that I could discern. The lettuce was tepid and parts of the sausage almost cold.

The Cannibal Burger

Damn good burger; the carnivore and I both agree on this completely. Fries are really good, too. They have a lot of salt, but it’s a very fine grain salt, so it’s not a salt burn.

Many, many raw onions.

The onions in the Baby Gems salad were raw and very pungent, the ones in the napa salad had been soaked to cut some of the bite. Someone in the kitchen loves salt and raw red onions unconditionally.

Lunch Menu.

6 Likes

We were there yesterday for lunch. Anything heat-treated was great. The baby gems salad was good, but was swimming in water/watery dressing.

The bloody Marys were tasty - green was interesting but the red has lots of chile - pretty spicy for a cocktail.

Cool, we love Bloody Marys, spicy is good. :hot_pepper::hot_pepper::hot_pepper:

Their dinner menu is much better. Not enough real meat on this one.

That salad is hilarious. :grinning:

1 Like

What convinces you people to keep going to this place?

That salad looks so under dressed it makes Kim Kardashian look classy.

2 Likes

Haven’t been for a full meal, but in the middle of this weekend’s Great Torrential Downpour on Los Angeles 2016, we stopped in during happy hour. It’s got to be the best in town.

$2 beer (Stone IPA). $5 old fashioned (which was actually one of the better ones I’ve had recently).

And best of all, free snackz. I’ve seen others post charcuterie and whatnot, but as luck would have it, our happy hour free snack was a full on fucking sandwich BRO. And one you wouldn’t be sad to have paid $10 for, at that. Plus some pickled goodies.

So for that alone, in the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger: “I shall return, indeed.”

7 Likes