The Cronut, French Pastries, and American "Dim Sum" - Brunch at 189 by Dominique Ansel & Dominique Ansel Bakery [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

5 Likes

For the record:

20180603_175907

2 Likes

#losingcredibility

1 Like

The “dim sum” concept seems to be such a difficult concept to pull off. Even actual dim sum joints have a difficult time pulling this off, save a handful of places in North America. I’ve been suspect of this r.e. Ansel’s eatery - thanks for being our vanguard.

Your pic of the croissant speaks for itself. Unfortunately, many love this type of croissant. One might as well go to Costco and pick up a dozen for a little more than the prescious price of one or two at Dominique Ansel’s. My guess is most eaters find this place to be exquisite. You’ve let us know better.

3 Likes

Thanks @bulavinaka. Yah and thinking about it a bit more, unlike a Hong Kong Dim Sum restaurant with carts (where it’s constantly heated with a steamer underneath), the servers walking around 189 had them on trays with no heating element, meaning if they weren’t fast enough to finish serving all of the portions on their tray, whatever was being served would just get lukewarm / cold.

For things like Toasted Bread, that’s tragic (it loses its toasty crunch and warm-hot element).

2 Likes

Thanks, @Chowseeker1999!
In NYC, I tried the clementine version Cronut and liked it. Although the cookie shot and the frozen s’mores was way more fun to eat. The s’mores was more on the sweeter side than I’d have preferred, but the novelty was fun.
Did you by chance notice if there were meringues sold in the bakery? They should be in plastic cylinder containers and are flavored. I brought those home for my husband and he said those were the best meringues he’s ever had as the flavors were good and they literally melted in your mouth. It would be worth my while for a trip to the city if they had those…he’s actually been asking about them.

1 Like

Thanks @attran99. :slight_smile: I’ll try their cookie shot next time! :slight_smile:

Yes, they have meringues in those containers (I think there were 4 different flavors that rotate every day). :slight_smile: Also they had 2 pastry / desserts featuring their “light as air Meringue” in the case:

• Mini-Me Cake: Rich Chocolate Cake Topped with Miniature Meringues (“Mini Me’s”).
  • Gooseberry Elderflower Pavlova: Light-as-air Vanilla Meringue filled with fresh Gooseberries, Orange Elderflower Jam and Mascarpone Ganache.

If you’re going to that area, maybe get that and stop by Aburiya Raku for dinner. :wink:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks! Looks like I need to go into the city to make Father’s Day purchases.
Funny enough, we’ll be in Vegas at the end of the month and have reservations for the OG location. I can’t wait!

1 Like

Great report @Chowseeker1999.

I like your comparisons. Too bad about the various quirks and almost nailed it but not quites. Odd about the desserts not being served upstairs. They’re trying to force you into the bakery I suspect.

I find the whole thing intriguing - the incongruity of being in an outdoor mall and passing by white clothed tables with fancy silverware and fancy servers like a faux version of tea at The Ritz. But like @bulavinaka, I find it all suspect. It’s more like an attempt at dominance than a restaurant opening.

Too bad because small bites are my absolute favorite way to eat!

1 Like

The pastry case was alive and well today. Dropped in to pick up the mini-melts for my husband…lime, lemon, strawberry, and lychee were available today. I tried the lychee and wasn’t a fan. Good thing I also bought the lime and lemon…those, I know, are good.
For those interested, the Cronut flavor of the month is passion fruit and guava.

6 Likes

Such a sweetie.

1 Like

Only because these are his favorites…no other meringue will do…and it’s Father’s Day weekend. I also snuck in a stop at Republique for breakfast and more pastries for him. Brunch at home will be extra special tomorrow.

3 Likes