The Drunk, Stoned, and Hungry thread

I don’t think I’ve ever had that combo. I’ve had plenty of JitB tacos late at night but never with ranch. Usually just a few of the tacos washed down with a large soda. Man, to have the metabolism of a 20 something again.

I’d do that just to cut the edge of hunger and we’d hit Tommy’s on Beverly and Rampart not soon after.

1 Like

Ranch makes almost everything edible.

2 Likes

I love Tire Shop, El Momo, La Unica, Leo’s, etc all the authentic places.

But for some reason I don’t know why I love those absolutely shitty Jack In Box Tacos. The filling is some mystery meat I think, maybe a little beef. Shitty lettuce, shitty cheese. Fried and greasy. It’s good with taco sauce or even with ranch as stated above (pro move add some hot sauce to ranch…come on been doing this since late night at Denny’s after working at a movie theatre on the weekend).

Those late night cravings for Jack In Box tacos are real!!!

3 Likes

I’ve only done Big Macs and Whoppers at In-N-Out.

My other childhood fav burger was Carl’s Jr. Bacon Western Cheeseburgers. It will be too much work because I have to bring BBQ sauce, bacon, and onion rings. I might give it a try someday.

I wanna try a McD’s burger at In-N-Out…mustard grilled patty, ketchup, onions (this might be fun and make it 2 way or 3 way onions…raw,chopped, whole grilled), pickles, and cheese.

2 Likes

When I get back to California I am definitely going to make a thread for my Big Mac, Whoppers, Bacon Western, and classic McD Cheeseburger at In N Out.

6 Likes

I’m a fan of thousand island and it’s various permutations around the country. A few years back we were traveling in the southwest and were asked if we wanted “fry sauce” with our fast food order which turned out to basically be thousand island. Similarly, Troy’s Drive-in #6 in Glendale gives a small ramekin of a garlic powder heavy version with their fries. I think the two are connected by the SoCal/SLC pastrami burger migration (NY Times paywall, sorry).

4 Likes

Oh man, you really are dredging up all the memories for me. The double bacon western cheeseburger was another one of those good college indulgences for me. I still remember friends and I marveling over the combination and going to town on it.

Something to look forward to! I’m keeping an eye on your NY thread. For about a 12 year stretch we were going to NY at least a couple times a year and would eat so much. It’s been a few years since our last visit and it’s high on our list once we can travel again.

I have a soft spot for mayo, even knowing how bad it is for me. Once I found out what fry sauce was, I was doomed.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, one of my completely trashy hungry indulgence is taking hot white rice, mixing it with enough mayo to coat every grain then drizzling hot sauce. When the mixture is right, I scarf everything down. I will fully admit it’s bad for me, has no redeeming value and boy it’s about as low brow as you can get, my wife just gives me the heavy side eye. But it is so tasty to me!

2 Likes

That sounds both delicious and quite possibly the death of me.

My equally trashy and unhealthy indulgence is late night hash. Corned beef hash is the most well known version but if you approach it like the western equivalent of fried rice it’s a template you can plug a lot of ingredients into. Hot sauce is always a must but we’ve never tried mayo- that actually sounds cool like the way okonomiyaki uses mayo.

5 Likes

Growing up in Miami where BKs headquarters was located, seemingly all we ate when it came to burgers.

These days, just ok. It depends on the location.

Probably nostalgia, but the meat still tastes good to me because it’s flame broiled, and when I get the Double Whopper, it reminds me of a backyard burger because of that, and it’s thick. The extra tomatoes, onion, pickles and lettuce is perfect IMHO for the size of the meat.

And $3 for it in the app.

Oh yes! I love hash and I love the yolk from sunny side up eggs. I love mixing fried eggs into a hash or fried rice. And the hot sauce is absolutely a must. I’ve never tried mayo on hash though. I like japanese mayo on certain dishes like the okonomiyaki or kaarage.

My wife love mayo but hates hot mayo applications like the chinese style of mayo with the baked mussels or my rice dish. But as a dip or slathered into a cold dish, she’s all on board.

Weirdly I’m not a big fan of mayo in burgers. I actually feels like it takes away from the burger, I’m all about indulging but mayo on a rich meaty juicy burger throws the balance all off for me. I’m fine with a mayo based sauce but not straight mayo as a spread under the patty. Weird, I know.

1 Like

Nostalgia sauce is a powerful thing. I still love Tommy’s burgers even though objectively I know it’s not that good. I always did like BK flame broiled approach.

$3 to try seems like a low barrier. I’m just a little scared of fast food these days as even in the best of times, it’s hit or miss with sanitation. But with pandemic, stressed overworked underpaid staff, I’m extra concerned about food handling practices. Not even pandemic handling, just regular food handling I’m concerned about.

3 Likes

100% would order…

7 Likes

“can i get an order of Maguro please, no tuna or wasabi”

1 Like

They’re good, but I remember they were better 30-some-odd years ago when they dripped orange grease (chorizo maybe?)

3 Likes

I feel the same way, and with the exception of a rare visit to In n’ Out, I haven’t had any fast food since this all started. I’m more OK with InO since they have pretty high sanitation standards and seem to be very careful about food handling…

My favorite InO burger is a Double-Double with extra toast, mustard-grilled patties (but no pickles, which you have to specify if you’re ordering mustard-grilled), and onions three ways: raw, grilled, and whole grilled.

1 Like

I crave these constantly!!

Minimum order for me is 6. In the app they’re still 2/99¢

I order them extra cheese extra taco sauce! Oh yeah!! Only thing I would love to add is some sour cream and a Lipitor!!

1 Like

Ever since @Ns1 originally posted about dipping them in ranch sauce, I’ve been doing that, but I think I’ll have to try sour cream next time! Not until this craziness is over, though. Do they charge you for extra cheese?

In the app, the 2/99¢ becomes 2/$1.19 — 10¢ each :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thousand Island is my favorite burger spread. I love Marie Callender’s Thousand Island (and their “Frisco Burger”).

6 Likes

Agreed, they are the only fast food place pre and current conditions where I have peace of mind. They always pay their staff well, plenty of people at every shift to handle crowds and you can just tell the staff cares. It’s amazing what happens if you actually value people.

One time, I was treating a huge group of pre-teens after a theater performance. The high school aged girl behind the register, got nervous when I warned her about the group and how I would pay after everyone gave their individual order. You could tell she visibly tensed up but buckled down and calmly kept everything in control, took orders, showed patience with the hopped up post performance kid, double checked everything and got it done… Two dozen people with varying combinations of orders all had it come out exactly right.

Not only that, she worked up the nerve to come over after we all got our orders and asked me if everything was ok. You could tell she was nervous and a little intimidated walking up, but she still did it, because she wanted to provide good customer service and follow through.

Just outstanding and I made sure she knew what a good job she did. This is why you value people and pay them well, your company will thrive.

5 Likes