The End of Cash in L.A.?

The “No Cash Accepted” scourge is spreading:

I just found out that Tacos Tu Madre no longer accepts cash.

A taco joint with a window in a wall that doesn’t take cash is the height of ridiculousness (much akin to a restaurant named “Nighthawk BREAKFAST Bar” actually not being open in the mornings for breakfast service, but that is a rant for another time…)…

Sorry for the negative vibes, but I’m typing on an empty stomach, and all this cash burning a hole in my pocket, with no one to take it.

(San Gabriel Valley, here I come…)

4 Likes

HUH??? I don’t live in SoCal so this is the first I’ve heard of this. What’s the point? Is this limited to drive-thru’s? Has robbery been occurring? I used an ATM one time at a drive-thru when I had NO cash. Once.

Maybe it’s a generational thing? I generally have very little cash on me (no, not even enough to pay for a Tacos Tu Madre burrito), so I’m fine w/ the no-cash thing…

From a business perspective, there are certain advantages to declining cash (although obvious disadvantages, too).

2 Likes

hipster restaurants don’t accept cash
OG ethnic restaurants don’t accept card

WHY LOS ANGELES WHY

5 Likes

Yeah, like alienating a significant portion of one’s potential customer base who wants to pay in cash.

(invoking my “Get off my lawn” rocking chair pose)…

I’m not a restauranteur, but that’s actually not one of the disadvantages in my own profession… :slight_smile: And I suspect that it’s likely not for most eateries, too…

B/c we don’t have a middle class anymore…?

1 Like

CASH IS KING , how lame .

@linus is the current chairman of the “Gran Torino Owners” club. Don’t know if he’s taking additional members as the current membership is pretty maxed out at one. :us: :wink:

3 Likes

i resemble this remark.
and, i didn’t like that movie much at all.

hey, can any of the lawyers weigh in on this one? isn’t cash legally acceptable
for all debts, or something like that?

1 Like

Me too.
Good riddance.
Easily lost and easily stolen, cash is a dying and dangerous form of currency.
If I was working in that little joint I would feel like a sitting duck for a criminal.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if debit cards are the riskiest. Recently while out of the country, fraudulent use was made of two debits cards from different banks. The cards never left our hands, only used at banks with ATMs so it was electronic. Just saying.

I think a lot of this is technology changing the perspective toward running a business. Sort of playing devil’s advocate, here’s how I see it.

@CiaoBob already mentioned the major problems with accepting/storing/moving cash. It has its costs that do and can occur. I’m more comfortable dealing in cash because that’s the way I was brought up. But I do see a ton more people paying noncash (via phone is becoming very common).

Another big advantage is many of these POS credit card payment systems can tailor specific functions/have apps that benefit, streamline, delegate, organize and simplify functions and information for the business.

Cash adds another layer of work/complication to a business in terms of risk, bookkeeping, etc. For a fee by the companis that own the POS systems and the various credit cards, a business owner can focus on the business at hand, have piece of mind, not have to worry about running deposits to the merchant counter at the bank, have info more organized for bookkeepeing, track trends and inventory, etc.

I often see younger folks withdraw $20 from the ATM - and they’re good with that amount. I say to myself, “How long is $20 going to last that dude on a Friday night?” But the way that this generation has become so comfortable travelling with so little cash and pay instead with cards or phones is becoming pretty standard now. It’s kind of like the trend where this same generation is far more comfortable without a car as well as the impending arrival of the “driverless” cars. Streamline, delegate, simplify through technology.

Cash will make the two books system a lot easier though.:wink:

1 Like

I easily could be wrong but I think when you accept both cash and credit, there’s more to reconcile though. I can see a strict cash-only system being easier.

Still - just the fact that credit transactions can now be directly deposited into a business’s account is very attractive. No cash-related risks.

Then the employees don’t even have to do the math for calculating change when you give them cash.

Granted I know in the business once doesn’t have to accept cash.

but then again, I’ve heard people using all cash are more shall we debt freed.

but peeps that use the cards or apps that are tied to cards, sometimes get into a little bit of trouble in overextending themselves.

1 Like

Ive heard saying you’re renting out a property for rent, you don’t have to accept cash, even though the saying goes its legal tender. you can require it be a cashier’s check, money order, etc.

like you can legally do this.

so perhaps you can do these in other industries too.

I meant it is easier to mis-lead IRS and FTB if it is all cash.:slight_smile:

1 Like

The register will do that for you . There is no math it’s just counting back change .

The tax side of this is very interesting vis-a-vis the few remaining all cash business, which tend to have very favorable pricing. I ate at Noodle Cafe in Monterey Park on Sunday. All cash. And delicious. Very crowded and inexpensive. How come the owners don’t dig the freedoms and safety of the non-cash economy @bulavinaka describes above? I think well all know why - and in some ways we benefit (cheap food), and in same ways we are hurt (they don’t contribute to our collective welfare) by such tax avoidance.
We hear ad nauseam these days about how the wealthy do not pay their share but they are not alone.

1 Like