The End of Cash in L.A.?

My wife does a lot of back house work. She says she has to deal with this all the time. She also has to walk away from a fair amount of work once she explains to the potential clients of the severe consequences and the potential client still insisting on this doing this practice. Shrug…

Thinking about the issues some more…

To CiaoBob’s point, for many non-ethnic hole in the wall restaurants, the person manning the register is an employee who barely makes above minimum wage. Employee theft is a real issue, and moving to a non-cash system is a good way to eliminate that. This isn’t really an issue in ethnic hole in the wall restaurants because a family member is usually working the [two] registers.

1 Like

Even still - you’d be surprised how han error can still play into discrepancies in the cash count. Theoretically, exchanging cash is a very straight-forward process, but through a little wrench in the gears.

“Your total is $10.13 - out of $20”

“Oh - I found some change. If I give you another quarter, you can give me back a ten and some change instead of a bunch of smaller bills.”

Person behind the cash register stands there in confusion. This happens all the time - some get it and perform the math, and some don’t. Simple transactions like this can go sideways often.

4 Likes

I’ve always assumed that if you’re in the US and you proffer US currency for anything they gotta take it. When I read of people refusing to accept the Susan B. Anthonys I couldn’t figure how they were getting away with it. Apparently either I’ve been wrong all along or the Treasury Dept. has worse things to fret about …

This may explain things, attorneys where are you:

1 Like

Don’t forget that there’s a fee (which the business owner must pay) for processing of each electronic card transaction.

I’ll give you that . You could be hustled by some fuck .

It’s not even a hustle. A lot of cashiers get easily confused by a seemingly straight-forward transaction that has the tiniest of changes to it. And if a hustler plays the cashier, it’s all over. Most are easy prey.

yeah, but card is subject to hustles via stolen/fraudulent credit cards. I used my bosses Amex for an entire week and NOBODY checked ID.

1 Like

Indeed. However, there is opportunity lost if someone would like to order $20 of food but only has $10 of cash on them. It’s one of the reasons I don’t feel super guilty when I use my credit card at the farmer’s markets (since I think small businesses validly may decline to take cards, for reasons other than not reporting all of their earnings)… Business that rely on impulse purchases probably benefit more than they lose from accepting credit card.

And, as @CiaoBob mentioned, there are potential safety issues when you’re carrying lots of cash, as the vendor. Tacos Tu Madre opens really late; I wouldn’t want them to be carrying much cash on-hand, if I were the owner.

So, along that line of logic, the old school taco trucks in Cudahy, Huntington Park, Lynwood should all stop taking cash and go to card-only?

Hardly. Cash & card aren’t mutually exclusive. In your $20 scenario, I can pay $10 cash, and also (gads!) whip out the card and pay the overage with the card.

The point is that I’d have a choice.

Besides, cash carriers who are accustomed to carrying it around know this simple maneuver before ordering: Look in the wallet and see how much you’re carrying.

1 Like

Your right again Bula . Maybe a little more training or put in a different position . It’s a cruel world now .

1 Like

Remind me not to hire you. :smiley:

1 Like

that might stop them from getting shot up, but it would also alienate a large part of their customer base.

but…all I did was use it to buy $1500 worth of food…

2 Likes

Thank you. My point exactly.

You’re hired!

2 Likes

Then it comes down to which party/parties ultimately eat the cost of CC fraud. We do of course.

I don’t need Big Brother tracking me. The problem with cards is they leave a trail.

And what about strippers? Are they supposed to dance with an Apple Pay strapped to their thigh while guys wave cards at it?

Then again, this no-cash trend may do away with tip jars…

3 Likes

If a stripper had a phone with a credit card reader that would alleviate the need to go to the atm after the 8th lap dance. Not like I’d know anything about that.