The Frozen Food Thread

yep. delicious

1 Like

The Whole foods fish sticks with Toady’s tartar sauce is pretty darn delish.

1 Like

One of these by chance?

1 Like

LOL!! You know it’s lent when even WF is out of Fish Stix.

I just checked and they are out in my area too… but this is what they look like…

1 Like

I was very pleasantly surprised with Portos Bake at Home. Ordered on a Monday, received on a Tuesday. Was able to have portos baked goods on Easter with zero line hassles. I hope this stays post-pandemic.

12 Likes

The cheese rolls look excellent. You only ordered 6 dozen items?

Did you freeze any? I was actually looking at this the other day.

1 Like

I froze them all with the intention of them lasting several weeks.

It has been 6 days and I’m all out of Portos.

Shipping was $13.

8 Likes

It looks fantastic

Was there a noticeable difference between the end result versus what you would get there?

1 Like

They are immaculate at the store but some of mine were broken as seen in pics. I served the good ones to guests and ate all the busted ones.

I imagine I could get the time/temp dialed in after a while.

Taste wise? 100% identical.

4 Likes

I like these okay, thought they’re nothing like Detroit-style, more like focaccia.

Trader Joe’s steak & stout pies are pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/traderjoes/comments/hiknvt/tjs_steak_and_stout_pies_are_the_best_frozen_food/

I’ve bought Vicolo’s at Costco, Trader Joe’s, and various other places. They’re sold refrigerated but I throw them in the freezer. The sausage one is the only one that I like as is, the others I want to doctor them with more toppings and cheese.

3 Likes

We did the Portos pickup last weekend. I considered the bake at home option, but we ended up at Ikea to pick up a desk, so I ordered online and it was ready for pickup by the time we found our way out of Ikea. Took about 15 minutes to pick up – they have an efficient system in place.

3 Likes

I am now a big fan of Amy’s frozen mac & cheese (all flavors) and mail order top shelf bbq.

2 Likes

My friend, Peter Reinhart, developed Amy’s frozen pizzas so that is probably a good bet as well.

5 Likes

Amy’s frozen spinach pizza is my favorite frozen pizza.

2 Likes

That’s really frozen food. But it is not healhful

Grocery Outlet has had some great vegetarian frozen food options lately. I tried Yaya’s Garden vegetarian Pastitsio for lunch today and it reminded me of Stouffers macaroni and beef which I used to love (don’t judge :joy:) with an addictive bechamel top. It came out of the microwave looking like the photo on the box! Very impressed :grin: I also picked up the moussaka, which I have yet to try. $2.50/each at GO. Don’t know the typical price.

My store also had the Vicolo cornmeal crust pizzas (only one kind: roasted mushroom). I think is was $3.99, which is much cheaper than usual.

They’ve also had different varieties of Nancy’s quiches come in which are one of my favorite quick meals. $1.49 at GO.

My store is in Davis, CA and selection changes so much. But I’ve been happy with their frozen meal choices lately :yum:

6 Likes

Actually was craving these, the Posada burritos. On my way home stopped at Costco. Sold out. All they had was El Monterey burrito variety pack. Yeah, not a fan.

So I got the only other “Mexican-ish” thing they had… these…

(Different packaging and quantity, same product)

Yeah, I pretty much hate everything this company makes. If I didn’t know better, I would think that the word Monterey is Spanish for tasteless.

Yuck!

1 Like

Yeah these are great for what they are. Not stingy on the meat/cheese and not too salty.

1 Like

But they’re tasteless :cry: I’m so lucky that I had an industrial tub filled with hot sauce packets from Jack in the Box and Del Taco.

That is indeed what the hot sauce is for - 3 packets minimum.

2 Likes