The Gold 101

I’d agree with @J_L:

Q Sushi feels a bit out of place, especially at #11. I felt it was really overpriced (we ended up paying $250 per person!) for the food quality we got.

Colonia Taco Lounge is closed.

And it seems a running joke now that J Gold omits Mori Sushi completely (again). But it’s his opinion.

1 Like

wow.wow, thanks, i’m not sure how you did it, but it works.

i’ve been spending some serious fucking time seeing if it works.

thanks.

1 Like

I asked in his weekly chat and JGold says Asanebo would have been #102. I half expected him to list a bunch of potential alternates.

@Chowseeker1999, he mentions Mori (and Urasawa) in the chat in response to a question:

“Fair questions. Mori wasn’t on the list because the
meal I had after Mori left didn’t quite reach the heights that it had
when he was there. I do need to revisit it soon. The reasons for leaving
Urasawa off are more complicated, but include both the idea of value -
it once towered above the other sushi restaurants in town, but the
overall level of the best places has risen dramatically, and it is the
most expensive restaurant this side of the Hudson - as well as some
other factors that I won;t go into here. (It was number 2 just two years
ago.) Does Urasawa too merit another visit? Obviously.”

I am disappointed that Grand Central Market was put on the list as one restaurant….

That has been the trend, although you have to admit, when you go there, you tend to eat/drink/shop from more than one place.

–Dommy!

3 Likes

I believe it is moving to Whittier.

–Dommy!

He explained it on Larry Mantle’s show. How they are doing Sushi in a unique way. Not the freshest, not the fanciest, but in a way he can respect and enjoys.

–Dommy!

I need to see if I can play that segment on KPCC online. I actually circled the block around my work a couple of times to listen to Larry and Jonathan talk about the list, after getting back from #13 Guerrilla Tacos, before I had to pull into the underground parking, so I missed the end.

BTW, today’s Guerrilla Tacos’ pretty spectacular:

Wild Boar Pocho Taco, pinto beans, aged red fox cheddar, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, chile de arbol:
https://instagram.com/p/9rQTB0A-ly/

Tahitian Albacore Tuna Poke Tostada, white miso, furukake, chives, habanero, lime:
https://instagram.com/p/9rScitg-pn/

Oregon Dungeness Crab Flauta, Kennebec Potatoes, tarragon, chile del valle, market greens:
https://instagram.com/p/9rUeedg-s-/

Well deserved Top 15 placement for Wes Avila and Guerrilla Tacos…

3 Likes

Maude needs to be way higher on this list. And I mean way way way higher.

2 Likes

can someone ban this guy until 2043? kthxbai.

5 Likes

+1000. the Susan Lucci of LA sushi.

I’m sorry, Shunji? N/naka? M’kay. Hope LAT baited enough subscribers today to fund SIV’s pension.

1 Like

Do you see any mistakes in the ratings?

Maude should be in the top 15.

Colonia Taco Lounge closed? I was there about six weeks ago…damn…but… The space was kinda weird, too big… i wasn’t that enthused with the food either to be honest.

They are moving to Whittier.

–Dommy!

Oh okay. That makes sense.

Border Grill? Eh…
(Very insightful, I know.)

2 Likes

@theoffalo Thanks for the info. OK, he thinks Mori Sushi now isn’t as good as before, but he leaves it off of the 101 List of Restaurants, and then places stuff like La Casita Mexicana, Brodard and Golden Deli on the list, and essentially way ahead of Mori Sushi?! Wha?!

Oh well, ultimately it’s just his opinion on what he likes. It’s a difficult task, and more power to him. I just don’t agree with some of the choices which feel more like a “trying to sound hip / ‘in-the-know’” vs. a qualitative improvement / ranking over something else.

Hahaha SIVs pension. Fucking luv it. You’re on a fucking roll today Tony.

Mistakes. ??? Fucking plenty.

But it’s merely one man’s 2.5 cents.

But was Susan Lucci a great fucking actor ???