The Gorgeous Pastries and Sweets of ST Patisserie Chocolat

We’re lucky to have so many delicious Pastry options around L.A. We get to experience wonderful creations from Huckleberry, Republique, Gjusta, Chaumont to name a few of the standout options. They are crave-worthy, pretty creations.

And then you see the creations from Pastry Chef Stephane Treand at his ST Patisserie Chocolat, and you realize the term “gorgeous” could have been meant for pretty much everything created here. :smile:

Thanks to @A5KOBE for many reminders and great reports on this place, :wink: we were able to finally make it down to visit the shop. One interesting to note is that Pastry Chef-Owner Stephane Treand has been awarded Un des Meilleurs Ouvriers de France (M.O.F) which is one of the highest honors celebrating the best craftsmen of France, and according to his website, he’s one of only 4 M.O.F Chefs residing in the U.S.

One look at the Pastries and Sweets here and it’s evident why he won. They are flat out stunning.

French Eclair (Vanilla Cream, Chocolate Glaze):

The French Eclair is a very good take on the Eclair. There’s a wonderful Vanilla flavor that comes through with each bite. The Chocolate glaze isn’t very sweet (a good thing). :slight_smile:

Exotic (Coconut Crunchy, Passion Fruit, Mango Cremeux, Vanilla Mousse):

And then you see their simply named “Exotic”, which is a stunning, beautiful creation, something that would be a show-stopper Dessert at any high-end restaurant around town.

Thankfully the flavors are as great as the visuals: There’s a beautiful Vanilla Mousse mixed with a very fragrant, tropical burst of flavor from the Mango Cremeux and Passion Fruit (we only found out later that this would be a precursor for their amazing Buche de Noel). This is definitely a must-order if you see it being offered that day. :slight_smile:

Cake of the Day: Petit Gateau Framboise Chocolate (Chocolate & Raspberry):

Another stunning creation from this patisserie: Their Chocolate and Raspberry Petit Gateau was just as stunning as their Exotic. It looked too beautiful to eat! I wanted to take it home and put it on display. :smile:

The center was this moist, chocolatey Mini Cake of sorts, balanced by the Raspberry filling. It was tasty, but it didn’t reach the heights of Gjusta’s seductive Pumpernickel Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Still it was quite good! :slight_smile:

Croissant:

Their one hiccup, the Croissant is a disaster. :frowning: Unless you like soft, dry Croissants, this was one of the worst Croissants we’ve had in L.A. / O.C.! It was a real disappointment. :disappointed:

On another visit, we were eager to try more offerings from Chef Treand.

Almond Croissant:

We would’ve skipped the rest of their flaky Pastry section based on the Croissant experience, but we saw @A5KOBE’s report on their Almond Croissant. Thankfully this was a complete 180 from their standard Croissant: While it lacked the crisp, flakiness of offerings like Chaumont’s version, ST Patisserie’s Almond Croissant is delicious and wonderful! :slight_smile: There’s a light, nutty, fragrant Almond filling, along with lightly toasted Almond slivers and a nice dusting of Powdered Sugar.

Duo Feuilletine (Almond Biscuit, Praline Crunchy, Milk and Dark Chocolate):

Delicious! It’s crunchy, nutty, yet soft and chocolatey all at the same time! :blush:

Buche de Noel (Yuzu & Hazelnut):

They were offering slices of their various Buche de Noel flavors on our visit, and we decided to try their Yuzu & Hazelnut version first. It’s beautiful looking, but I can see what @A5KOBE was talking about with this flavor. It was OK, a strong Citrus-y flavor from the Yuzu was evident in each bite, while the Hazelnut felt like it was overpowered, and it tasted a bit strange (just not very interesting).

Buche de Noel (Exotic: Mango & Passion Fruit):

And just in time for Christmas, we remembered to order an entire Buche de Noel for our Christmas Party. :slight_smile: I was nervous, because we’d never tried their Buche de Noel Exotic before, but we had faith in the FTC reports on this flavor. :wink:

And it was AMAZING!

It was everything @A5KOBE said and more! It was even better than their mini “Exotic” we tried on our first visit. In Buche de Noel form, the Mango and Passion Fruit are more pronounced, really giving an “exotic” nuance to each bite, but at the same time, it works with each bite of the cake, with the Vanilla. Absolutely delicious! :heart:

Our Buche de Noel Exotic was devoured in minutes at the Christmas Party, LOL.

Thank you @A5KOBE! :blush:

Overall, ST Patisserie Chocolat is a great place to stop by to grab an after meal Dessert (or something to go along with Coffee or Tea). :wink: Exceedingly beautiful visually, with some great flavors to match, this is a Patisserie worth stopping by if you’re near the area.

(They also have a Patisserie School next door, where we’ve seen them teaching classes. Looks fun!)

ST Patisserie Chocolat
3321 Hyland Ave., Suite H
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Tel: (714) 825-0180

http://thepastryschool.org/shops/

12 Likes

All their pastries look so beautiful! And that yuzu and hazelnut buche de Noel!

Great reporting!

After eating my exotic buche de Noel, I have figured out the bottom crust is a coconut macaron like flat cookie.

This cookie is also layered throughout the cake with tender mango slices.

2nd favorite is the mille fueille which is nicely balanced with a hint of alcohol, which I am guessing is cognac but not even 50% sure.

2 Likes

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Yah, they do. :slight_smile: I hope you get a chance to try ST Patisserie.

1 Like

Hi @A5KOBE,

Thanks, and thank you for the find and all the recommendations! :slight_smile:

I love Mille-feuille! :slight_smile: I’ll have to give it a try the next time we’re there (on 2 of our visits, it wasn’t being offered).

2 Likes

I’m in the neighborhood today. I’ll have to stop by to pick up dessert for later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @attran99,

Nice! :slight_smile: I look forward to seeing some of the desserts you pick up. :wink:

1 Like

The mille fueille has been hard to come by. But when it does make an appearance, it is a sure fire winner.

The exotic is pretty regular.

3 Likes

Clearly, I need to go to Orange County more often. Why am I missing out on these glorious pastries?!

2 Likes

If the mille fueille is your 2nd favorite, what’s your favorite at ST Patisserie? Their exotic buche de Noel?

Yes. I would say exotic and mille feuille are one and two for me. But the exotic buche de Noel is easily number one when it is available once a year. The mango, coconut, vanilla, passion fruit are much more pronounced as @Chowseeker1999 said. Instead of just one layer, Chef Treand puts multiple layers inside and outside to make the flavors pop. There is even coconut macarons which provide a sweet but lovely crunchy element.

3 Likes