The Taco Chronicles aka Las Crónicas del Taco

I really wish the place in my neighborhood that makes great tacos to order from great masa wasn’t closed Monday and Tuesday.

Don’t waste your time on asada but al pastor’s good and tortillas are nice.

4 Likes

I ended up at Leo’s NoHo anyway. I don’t know if that location is going to make it - super slow and dead at 7p-730p.

Round 2 with pollo, chorizo, and al pastor vampiro. Same as before…don’t waste your time on anything else besides al pastor since they’re all subpar.

3 Likes

Thanks for the intel. Shame about the asada

Leo’s Echo Park is just hitting their stride around 10PM or so. Not being busy during daylight hours shouldn’t be a concern for Leo’s.

Anything charcoal grilled there is dry, tough, and extremely bitter…

1 Like

As much as I want to hit up Angels, Leo’s is just so much more convenient.

Good looking trompo

1 Like

Hah I tried to go to Angel’s Sylmar for al pastor today, lured by this thread and their IG pics. Of course when I got there, no trompo was in sight.

On the positive side my asada tacos were quite good and not burnt at all.

1 Like

This series is artfully done and I am always craving tacos after each episode. I had never heard of canasta tacos before…can we find it in LA/OC?
P.S. never mind. Read the LA Taco article. El Abuelo in Boyle Heights it is!

1 Like

Unlike L.A. Taco I don’t find the lack of real tacos de canasta shocking as they would surely violate multiple provisions of the local health code.

I definitely plan to track some down next time I’m in GDL, though my friend there may try to stop me.

@Ns1 bummer about Angel’s lack of trompo! I didn’t even realize they had a Sylmar location. Another very quickly expanding taco operation.

Re:tacos de canasta in general - I’ve had them from El Abuelo, from the Alameda Swap Meet in Vernon, and a few times in Mexico, and I’ve never quite understood the appeal tbh. Haven’t watched the episode yet, but in my (still limited! Not expert!) experience they’re kinda just hot and mushy and a little bland, more quick sustenance than destination/journey worthy food. Would love to have some specialty/noteworthy/elevated versions to change my mind if they exist tho!

1 Like

Hi LA FTCers!

watched the asada episode again. it’s funny because based on their description (“the asada should be chopped in big pieces”), the most legit asada that I’ve had based on that description would be Paquito Mas - big chopped asada, higher quality meat than the normal stands, and fresh machine pressed tortillas.

Interesting profile of Javier Cabral and The Taco Chronicles in The Guardian:

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes