The Valley Finally Gets Some Love From LA Times

bummer, and thanks! I guess I could have done that research myself…

Maybe that’s the move next time I’ve got an all-nighter to pull.

fwiw I didn’t find the coffee particularly strong - it did have a nice balance between bitter and sweet, without being too sweet. It wasn’t like drinking turkish or vietnamese coffee, more like drinking hot, cinnamon flavored cold brew.

Practically none of mine did. Puro Sabor for Peruvian, District Pub for sausages and burgers, The Blue Dog for burgers and when I want to take the dog out, Wood and Water for New American, The Bellwether has gone downhill somewhat, but they still have some excellent choices, Lola’s Pollo la Braza for wood roasted chicken, Don Adrian’s for Cemitas Poblanas, Mom’s BBQ for fried chicken (not bbq), Blackbottom Cafe for brisket and smoked chicken. I love Skaf’s but to be honest Joe’s Falafel is better. My one experience at Bill’s was mediocre, but I will have to try it again if @Ns1 loves it.

2 Likes

that’s a bit overstating it :sweat_smile: I didn’t really “get it” the first time, but after the second time I found myself strangely craving it.

really depends on what you’re getting. Joe’s takeout is atrocious - they put the entire combo in a plastic to go container, so by the time you’ve reached your destination the salad has completely wilted due to the heat of the entree.

fyi they got new management or ownership a few weeks back. (I assume this is the place on Camarillo you’re talking about)

1 Like

Good call! I forgot about this place. Had it a few times and liked it better than Takatis, though Takatis is a much larger restaurant with a much more varied menu.

For me an underrated burger place in Woodland Hills is Boulevard Burgers.

1 Like

We had a thread on SFV restaurants before here on FTC.

1 Like

Blackbottom’s food is still good. Unfortunately they dropped Hummingbird cake from the menu. Neither my wife nor myself care that much about dessert, but we both loved it. The unfortunate tendency to try and make soul food “healthy” isn’t quite so prevalent with the new management. While I still wish they had more fat on their excellent brisket the last greens I had had pork in them.
The laffa bread from Joe’s really seals the deal for me - that and the hot sauce for my falafels.

1 Like

Ah yes in the wraps department Joes is indeed superior. My vote for entrees goes to Skaf’s with their awesome cabbage salad, but out of the 3 my money goes to Hayat the most often.

1 Like

Oh yes Skaf’s cabbage salad is the bomb!!!

Yeah, this is on my SFV list. Went tonight to Salsa & Beer NoHo. I put a fork on the plate on the second photo so you could see how enormous it is )

Carnitas

Asada y Camarones

7 Likes

bru…where did you get a fork so small

5 Likes

Did Shin Sushi make the list?

1 Like

As I was posting I was thinking it looks like a seafood fork!! Glad I wasn’t alone!

1 Like

Small fork? Or big food!!!

1 Like

I don’t think any sushi places made the list except Asanebo (which is far more than a sushi joint) and Sushi Iki. None of the places on sushi row - Ventura between Laurel and Tujunga - including the original Katsu-ya (I know its not traditional sushi, but its good) - what’s up with that?

I’d like to see Daichan on more lists.

3 Likes

Is there a better general Japanese restaurant in the valley than daichan? If there is, I would like to know about it.

6 Likes

Katsuya

1 Like

So the OG Katsuya is actually good?

That’s the place I’ve been going to the longest on Ventura

1 Like