The Valley Finally Gets Some Love From LA Times

So Burbank, the one on Vineland, one on Moorpark… I saw one the other day at the Mobil station at Sherman Way and Sepulveda and the one at Vivian’s?

Amazing.

Ever since they relaxed the rules on street vending, if you drive up Sepulveda Boulevard you can see tons of different vendors with trompos and some with charcoal grills. Woodman ave, same thing.

I really need to do a crawl.

2 Likes

As much as I love street food, I finally found a stand that left me uncomfortable:

I went to Angels Sylmar but they had no trompo. A table on the sidewalk 2 stores down had a trompo so I had 2 al pastor tacos.

While I was waiting, first I noticed the asada grill in the bike lane. Then I noticed the prep table…also in the bike lane, where he was chopping asada. I also could not help but notice the plethora of cars driving a mere inches away on foothill boulevard, and whether any debris landed on the prep table.

then I noticed the taquero(?) handling the meat with his bare hands. I’m generally not opposed to this…except for the complete lack of running water and ability to wash his hands.

The al pastor tacos weren’t even good.

3 Likes

Sometimes when the spider sense is on high alert, best to just walk away… food poisoning ain’t fun…

5 Likes

Exactly. When that little voice in my head says “Don’t eat this!”, I’ve learned to listen.

Unfortunately my spidey senses were late to the game. But I’m still alive so hopefully my immune system got that much stronger.

4 Likes

The LA Times food section is absolutely horrible, concentrating on niche hipster places that 95% of its readers would not go to. Lose of Jonathon Gold was enormous.

Not true. I am not going to go through the archive, but they highlight a lot of “real” food.
Just this week Addison covered a Nigerian place: Nigerian jollof rice and other joys at Mid-City's Aduke African Cuisine

What places would you like to see covered?

2 Likes

You have made my point. You do realize, I assume, that print journalism is read over 90% by the 50 and up crowd. Nigerian food? Nothing wrong with it, but I don’t think so! It is fine to have some of this, but you can’t exclude the West LA, SF Valley, South Bay , etc. folks, if you want to be relevant to the readers of the LA Times. Millennials in Silverlake, Echo Park, Abbott Kennedy, etc. is not the readership. So, seafood, steakhouses, Asian (especially Chinese) , etc. should have a voice.

Ok, fine. I went through the archive. A few examples for you:

Chinese restaurant in SGV: Review: Does Jiang Nan Spring have the SGV’s best Shanghainese food?

Arab food in Orange County’s Little Arabia: Review: At Forn Al Hara in Anaheim, it’s all about the flatbreads and cheese boats

Regional Thai Cuisine in Thai Town: Review: Northern Thai Food Club in Thai Town is a singular, spicy trip

There are more examples that disprove your claims.

APL coverage: Review: The meat is truly what matters at APL, Adam Perry Lang’s steakhouse

As for the others? There are many restaurants and restaurant openings that are not “newsworthy”.

Edit: No, I do not realize. And upon searching, I cannot find support for this claim.

Assuming your above claim is true:
What is the ratio of LA Times digital subscribers to print subscribers? I would hope that the LA Times does not make their publishing decisions with ONLY their print audience in mind–that would be foolish.

Your implication that most LA Times readers (print & digital) are “like you” and have your sensibilities requires evidence.

4 Likes

You’re going to pass on an entire cuisine because it sounds… what, unusual to you? This problem here is not with the LA Times’ coverage.

And while I personally do have some quibbles with the new section, these claims are wwwwwild to me, and totally unsupported.

4 Likes

Yes, there are some examples, just like the heading of this article, but not the large majority of the articles.

Went back today though since I’m back on my low-carb crap, I got my Plato De Pimpin, which is two side orders of meat, tonight it was carnitas and an order of guacamole and sour cream. They served them on separate plates, should’ve gotten them on the same plate (for fun :slight_smile: ) my wife picked up the check and I forgot to look at how much they charged. It used to be $6 per side but she seems to think it went up to $8.

Two sides of carnitas

One side. Larger than I remembered.

Definitely crisped up on the flat top

@Ns1 along time ago you asked me if they served tortillas with that. The answer is they asked me if I wanted some. They were not going to charge me.

3 Likes

I need that in my life. Asap

3 Likes

The wait was only 5 minutes today at 5:15.

1 Like

How about parking? Every time I drive by lot has cars waiting to enter and street is full. Great pics btw!

1 Like

Thanks!

They now have two guys that handle the lot. They tell you when a spot has opened and direct you. The cars still line up but they manage it much better. Today it was just a few minutes. Before these guys started running it, I used park on the street around the corner or the Home Depot a couple of blocks down.

1 Like

Given your comments, I’m skeptical as to whether you ever actually read a thing Jonathan Gold wrote.

You are right. I am so stupid and you are so brilliant. Of course, I never read anything Gold wrote; I never learned how to read.

If you think Jonathan Gold was reviewing seafood and steakhouses and that the current focus of the LA Times food section is a departure from what he was doing, apparently.

1 Like