They've Finally Run Out of Chinese Restaurant Names and Specialties in the San Gabriel Valley

How else could you explain the newly opened Little Highness Bao in Rowland Heights? Their specialty is steamed bao, and there repertoire consists of green bean with pork, chicken gravy with pork and onion, cabbage with vermicelli and dried shrimp (with another variety substituting mushroom for the vermicelli), rib with vegetables, and beef steamed buns. I ordered four of the buns, and except for the green bean bao, I couldn’t tell which was which. Also a handful of other menu items, as well as other food (dumplings, shredded potato etc.) sold in bulk or by the pound. Little Highness Bun is at 18333 Colima Road.

1 Like

Is that the name in Mandarin? Maybe it sounds more… etheral/romantic/delicious in Mandarin?

Little Highness… = " 小王 " is pronounced ’ XiaoWang '. Maybe a play on XiaoLongBao.

No XLB on the menu though.

That IS enigmatic…

This is the Chinese name from the menu.

Hmmm… Maybe the buns are so good that they’re fit for a little princess? Do any of our Mandarin-reading posters think that might be the translation?

Although, if @chandavkl can’t tell the difference btw the 4 buns, HRH might not be long for this world…

Also the menu has a logo of what could be a little princess delivering a large steamed bun on a pan. Or maybe it’s a short guy with a queue.

1 Like

How about haggis soup? Y’know, that tried-and-true Chinese specialty?

Yan’s House, same shopping center I believe, is your answer.

Yeah, I saw that on the menu.

really?

That’s what they call it on the menu. But like I said they mostly taste alike and none were particularly gravy like.

FWIW, it’s more about being such an odd combination that i wouldn’t even expect to see it on a HK cafe menu, i mean, pork with chicken gravy just seems so… wrong.

I actually found a steamed bao with green beans inside to be odder.

Qing Dao Bread Food has it.

really? i don;t remember seeing them on the menu.

That’s because it’s not.

It is on the Take Out menu.
A photo at Qing Dao Bread Food

That’s string beans.

Green beans, also known as string beans, or snap beans in the northeastern and western United States, are the unripe fruit and protective pods of various cultivars of the common bean.