Think East... waaayy East

Maple House Chicken and Waffles (right off 10fwy and Mountain) - waffles, fried chicken, smoked turkey greens, yams

Hilltop Jamaican (Pomona) - excellent jerk chicken, oxtail and curry patties, hidden gem (usually people take food to go)

1 Like

They do make a good sandwich. Haven’t tried their prepared foods but I will next time I grab some sandwiches.

el monte:
viet huong cha gio are pretty good
ahgoo kitchen: seaweed fried fish and the scallion bread
the burmese place that replaced the malaysian place

rowland heights/walnut
chop chop grill
shanxi noodle house
midori (japanese)
janty noodle (indonesian)

2 Likes

Thats too bad. Haven’t been in a while but used to be great. Really digged the fires and burgers. My niece might be going to college at Claremont next fall. I’ll give it another try just to confirm.

Ahgoo has changed ownership recently. For now, green onion pancake is still on the menu.

That explains the activity there a couple of Mondays ago. (They’re closed Monday and Tuesday.)

(Nervously holding my breath…) Anyone wanna go see if the food’s changed?

The original owners are looking for new location, most likely somewhere in Rowland Heights or Diamond Bar.

3 Likes

Aljibani Halal Market in Walnut/Diamond Bar
Taconazo next to Mt SAC (same enormous strip mall as above mentioned Chop Chop Grill
*Boulevard 574 in Diamond Bar
Tijuana’s Tacos in Pomona
Mariscos Jalisco brick and mortar in Pomona
Pomona Fish Market
*Donahoo’s Fried Chicken in Pomona
Mes Amis in Upland
*Sanamluang in Claremont

*especially close to freeways

3 Likes

Had the lamb stew and it was damn good. The spicy cucumber salad is also very good.

For what it’s worth, I’ve found the Badminton club indonesian food pretty meh the two times I’ve gone.

Thanks for the heads up.ucla…maybe chef changed? Got lots of love a few years back!

Short update–went to Mariscos Jalisco Pomona for the first time in a couple months and yep: still delicious.

https://imgur.com/a/xSuBS0N

2 Likes

Mimi 5 Bobee for Taiwanese beef noodle soup with homemade noodles today. We tend to go to pho next door more often and I dunno why because this is one of my favorite bowls in the area

5 Likes

:de: Upland German Delicatessen, Upland.

If you forgo your options to travel rapidly down east-west running interstates through San Bernardino County, and take a street that is a bit closer to the speeds traveled before their 1950’s construction, chances are you might be going down the famous old Route 66 on what is now Foothill Blvd. In this area, the wide thoroughfare runs relentlessly straight in both directions, with just one bump between Upland and Rancho Cucamonga.

First in operation after the interstates had been built for a few decades, but now open for 43 consecutive years, the Upland German Deli is a blast from the past. When you interact with the owners you may think they have been the ones behind the counter all this time, but they are actually the delicatessen’s fourth owners, and have made it theirs since 2002.

The shop is a bit off of Foothill Blvd., somewhat hidden by a Taco Bell that lives near the street. On a sign that no longer exists unfortunately, the deli’s humor was on display at their reserved parking spots which urged folks to “Think Outside The Shell,” and ode to the fast food chain’s old marketing.

The current owners are actually Austrians who grew up in Poland and France respectively, and because of this the shop keeps a sharp European edge rather than seeming like the product of second, third, or fourth generation immigrant families. The recipes for sauerkraut and red cabbage are likely to satisfy even the most discerning eaters.

Those sides are both sold by the pound for $5.99, while their homemade spaetzle goes for the same price but is sold in a stuffed pint container. The shelves are full of imported goods that can fill up your pantry like mustard and apfelschmaus, as well as candies and desserts and bottles of German beer sold individually.

The plate below was reconstructed at home with the homemade sides mentioned above and one link of both thüringer and nürnberger sausages. Both of these and most others like weisswurst are sold at $9/lb, which nets you about three sausages.

Having not had a proper thüringer sausage since the closing of a great place in the East Village, the offering here was especially a surprise and very satisfying. As seen the nürnberger comes in large format rather than multiples of its more usual small size. They also have proper German potato salad, made with vinegar rather than mayonnaise, which will require an order on the next visit.

There are plenty of boxed chocolates and other sweets available, but someone in the kitchen is a talented pastry chef and the offerings at the counter are always more tempting. Representing their Austrian roots, but also beloved in Germany, the linzer cookie (below) is quite a treat.

21 Likes

Didn’t know this. Thanks! Place looks great.

1 Like

Thanks for the reportage! @Jase and I hit this place on a trek out there. Super tasty and the prices for what you get very reasonable!

2 Likes

Nice update @EattheWorldLA, don’t forget about their world class apple strudel, which I just adore.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report!

I really enjoyed the potato salad!

yeah, that was a good stop and getting to try the different dishes. I was happy I got different deli items to take home to try.

Oh man, I’m bummed out I didn’t take any pastries home now. More excuse to go back!

2 Likes

We used to eat there quite a bit before we returned westward. I really enjoyed the potato salad…the sausages and sauerkraut were so good. The cookies and the strudel are solid.

2 Likes