Thumbs Up For Capital Seafood In Beverly Hills

A couple of months ago, before it had opened, I had questioned the prospects of the announced opening of Capital Seafood on La Cienega’s restaurant row in Beverly Hills, both from whether that location could be successful business wise serving dim sum, as well as to how good the dim sum might be, particularly in light of the low marks garnered by Capital Seafood’s Irvine location. After two visits for lunch, I am cautiously optimistic as to the former, and very pleased with the latter.

As I have recently commented in numerous quarters, there has been a remarkable turnaround on the Westside of Los Angeles, which in three years has turned from a wasteland for authentic Chinese food to an explosion of new Chinese restaurant openings that has attracted such major players as Din Tai Fung, Sichuan Impression and Hai Di Lao. However the one thing these new openings have in common is that all the restaurants serve non-Cantonese food, and the only recent significant Cantonese entrant, Newport Sea Food, crashed and burned. Consequently, the opening of Capital Seafood in the former Newport Sea Food location seemed to be an iffy proposition.

Arriving a little before noontime on Saturday morning, I was encouraged to see that the main dining room was reasonably full, but not so full for there to be a wait. In contrast, I doubt if Newport Sea Food ever had this kind of crowd for Saturday lunch. But more importantly from my point of view, Capital Seafood puts out an excellent product. Standards like the shrimp-rich siu mai, ha gow, turnip cake and baked bbq pork buns were all excellent. The members of our group who were veterans of the Irvine location of Capital Seafood were pleasantly surprised and highly impressed.

It was nice to see some less common items on the menu. The rice noodle logs with XO sauce was excellent, with a house made XO sauce as good as any.

The pineapple crust egg yolk lava bun combines two of my favorites (i.e., pineapple top and egg yolk lava).

Nor is the fried shrimp roll something you see at every dim sum house.

Another rarity–mushroom cheung fun.

I never thought I’d live to see the day when you could get chicken knees on the Westside (let alone Beverly Hills).

Like extra gravy with your tofu stuffed with shrimp paste?

And how about another version of rice noodle logs–with cilantro?

All in all, it was surprisingly a very pleasing visit to Capital Seafood in Beverly Hills. On an absolute scale I’d put it just below the top tier of San Gabriel Valley dim sum restaurants, and even better than their Arcadia branch. For Westsiders this certainly beats driving cross-county and then waiting an hour more when you get there.

11 Likes

Thanks excellent to hear.

Have we had any dinner- seafood reviews from other FTCers?

Maybe a FTC meetup is in order… #breakoutthebanquettable

4 Likes

down for that
or even dim sum with a nice big group to run the menu

1 Like

Dinner, for me, was quite good. I’ve had mixed responses from my friends who dined there with me. We also ordered Roast Duck, which is a consistent stand out. They’ve really mastered the preparation of that duck. And service was excellent as always. They’re not as busy as nights as they are for weekend dim sum.

4 Likes

In the scheme of things, this restaurant opening could be huge.

Connected to Capital Seafood in Arcadia?

Yes it is. Interestingly they tout their affiliation with the Arcadia branch but don’t mention Monterey Park, Irvine and the others.

I loved our visit there and am also optimistic. Going to be going back with family on weekend brunches and with coworkers for weekday lunches (never had a weekday lunch dimsum)

I’ll only go to the meetup if I get to sit next to the DC

1 Like

Great, t’anx!

I told a friend who works close to Capital Seafood about it. She ate there and said the food was tasty.

Also, she has food allergies. Her highest allergy is to shrimp. She said that it was easy to communicate with the employees about which foods did and didn’t contain shrimp.

1 Like

I’ve never been to a dim sum restaurant that didn’t have this dish. It’s one of my husband and my favorite so we almost always order it.

Why are you so fond of taking pot shots at the Westside? I’ve had way more “challenging” food than chicken knees on the Westside: snake sake, live sushi, bitter melon, yak milk cheese, shiokara and natto to name a few.

You commonly see a fried shrimp roll that matches the pic? My knowledge of SGV dim sum menus is hardly encyclopedic (and I normally don’t look for fried shrimp rolls), but that specific prep actually doesn’t look very familiar to me at all.

1 Like

22 posts were split to a new topic: History of Chinese food (or lack thereof) on the Westside

Fried? I’ve never seen it fried period.

@chandavkl’s photo isn’t very clear, but I’m assuming that it is this dish. If it is the same dish, yes I’ve had it at pretty much every dim sum place I’ve visited. It’s always tasty, but my favorite version is at Elite.

Nanbankan serves chicken leg bone cartilage which I assume is the same as chicken knees. Nanbankan has been open and serving pretty much the same menu for decades.

1 Like

No, that’s a completely different dish. I think the fried shrimp roll is one of those dishes that wouldn’t make it on a dim sum cart and can only be served off of a menu. I’m thinking places like Elite, Lunasia etc. might have this dish.

2 Likes

I don’t eat at dim sum restaurants that serve from carts.