Tim Ho Wan Coming To Irvine

That is my point. Standards in LV are much lower, so I expect it to bomb (food wise) especially since it is located at the Palms. Lived there for a couple of years, and coming from Arcadia it was complete culture shock or I guess lack of culture I should say.

2 Likes

The way they’ve been expanding, I look at each of the exponent branches now as more of a one-trick pony (i.e., their baked char siu buns) than a legit dim sum purveyor - Except the HK and Singapore locations, both of which still retains some semblance of quality control.

I find it interesting that they’re avoiding opening in SF and SGV where the demand is high and competition is ample…

Seems like a smart business decision.

Might have something to do with SF’s sky high rent and SGV not being as affluent as the OC community.

2 Likes

Top and mid tier HK joints are much better IMO vs .Elite etc. Typically after returning from HK I swear off dim sum for 6-12 mths to allow the memory to fade and cravings to get the better of me. OTH THWNYC << Sea harbor etc. It does well because the quality of Chinese food in Manhattan is quite poor and lots of deprived Chinese students

I enjoyed Ping Pang Pong; solid execution of old school classics. Quite unexpected especially given the ridiculous name.

1 Like

Should I bother with Ping Pang Pong when I’m in Vegas later this month given that I frequent SGV dim sum?

It won’t blow your socks away but if you feel like dim sum while in LV, worth checking out.

No, you should not.

Especially if your dining with your lovely fiancée. She might leave you before the wedding. I know I would.

C’mon :roll_eyes:, it’s really not bad! No love for PPP… :smirk:

:joy: That’s a good one. Luckily, she’s not a picky eater at all. She enjoys eating Mickey D’s as much as anyone.

you a lucky guy… easy on the wallet.

1 Like

Cost of all the $$$$ meals for me = x2 though.

Just bring her to $ meals and sneak off on your own for $$$$. “Business dinner”. $500 for 1 much less painful vs $1000 for 2… :smile:

2 Likes

It’s not bad bad. Even made some publication’s list of the top Chinese restaurants in America. But if you’ve eaten dim sum in SF or the SGV you’ll feel cheated by such acclaim.

Don’t forget that Tim Ho Wan “only” has one Michelin star. The Hong Kong places with two or three stars are in a world of their own.

The service is pretty atrocious.

The food is pretty decent.

I remember getting my soup last, after the rest of my dishes arrived. I also had to ask for forgotten dishes altogether. But the pork belly clay pot with lap cheung is pretty good.

Bad service is a given at 90% of the Chinese establishments. Ya gotta be vocal or you’ll be ignored for the most part. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

PPP is on a whole other level.

I think there needs to be a distinction made between bad service and indifferent service.

I would say the latter at most Chinese restaurants are de rigueur but the former is not necessarily ubiquitous nor that common.

In fact, I would say many Chinese servers consider indifferent service a badge of honor. Something to strive to. To be attained only upon total mastery of the self.