Tired Of Terrible French Fries

When I first had In-N-Out fries, I thought they were terrible; now, however, I love them. Sometimes I’m in the mood for Wendy’s, sometimes In-N-Out, and always for McDonald’s. In-N-Out does fries their way, and quite often that softer, fluffy texture is what I’m in the mood for.

3 Likes

I like them with lots (and lots) of ketchup.

Sort of like a baked potato with ketchup. Which, not surprisingly, I also like. A lot.

2 Likes

I’m partial to Animal-style; I go big or go home when I forsake any pretense of dieting :laughing:

1 Like

Kennebec potato lyfe :potato:

InO fries are merely spread delivery vehicles.

2 Likes

One of my go-to meals as a poor college student. I’d add some mustard sometimes, too, for a little variety.

PSA: Belcampo Santa Monica has excellent duck fat fries. These are some of the finest fries the city has to offer, possibly tops in the city?? :scream: Crunchy exterior, creamy interior, and a great flavor from the duck fat. BTW, the dry aged burger was just awesome as usually, my only tiny complaint was it was cooked medium well instead of the medium I requested. But is was still damn good.

Highly recommend these :duck::fries:

7 Likes

HiHo Cheeseburger has stellar fries.

2 Likes

Well said, ipsedixit! There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan restaurants. Keep McDonalds for the carnivores.

Why is that bad? If you go to McDonalds and you just simply assume the fries are cooked in 100% vegetable oil, that would be a ridiculous assumption.

Really? It didn’t even cross my mind that french fries were cooked in animal fat. I know now because it’s become a foodie restaurant trend. What other fast food restaurants use or used beef tallow?

1 Like

As I’m sure you know, McD’s used to cook their fries in animal fat.
Here are their current ingredients:

“FRENCH FRIES: Ingredients: Potatoes , Vegetable Oil ( Canola Oil , Soybean Oil , Hydrogenated Soybean Oil , Natural Beef Flavor [ Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative]), Dextrose , Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color ), Salt .

I’m a bit unclear how wheat and milk derivatives constitute "“natural beef flavor”. The hydrogenated soybean oil concerns me more, although as I understand it, it’s the partially hydrogenated fats that are much more of a problem. Then again, if I’m eating a lot of french fries, there are bigger worries, i.e. arteries, waistline, etc.

2 Likes

I do now because of all the hoopla. But I honestly had never thought about fries being cooked in anything other than vegetable oil. If anyone reads my reports they know I’m all in with the animal fat fries. :blush: But I do think restaurants (in particular big chains) have a responsibility to inform customers for dietary and religious reasons.

3 Likes

Wheat and milk are common allergens that I would NEVER expect to be added to French fries. I seldom order fries with any burger, fish or chicken sandwich - now that will be even more seldom.

Order the French fries at Ray & Starks (LACMA) because they are amazing.

8 Likes

Badmaash - Masala Potato Fries w/5 Pepper Hot Sauce “Boss Sauce” & Paprika Spiced Mayo

The spice dust, the crispiness! & the sauces… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I Could Not Stop Eating These!

10 Likes

why have i not been here yet?!? really no excuse :frowning: I’ve been saying I need to go since the original one opened!

1 Like

Same here. I think it’s the mixed reports. But we went to the Fairfax location recently and really enjoyed it. You’ve inspired me to stop procrastinating and do my report so you can see. TBC…

2 Likes

I didn’t take any pictures but just had stupendous French fries at Higo Chicken in La Habra. These fries were hand cut and clearly expertly made. A couple of the fries were almost a foot long. Crunchy and crispy on the outside pillow soft on the inside. They had to have been twice fried. They share a place at the top of my all time best French fry list with Majordomo, Zuni Cafe, Pomme Frites in NYC and McDonald’s when you get a fresh batch.

12 Likes

I guess I know where I’m going tomorrow.

2 Likes