Triumphant Return to NYC!

I rarely eat Italian Italian anymore when I’m in NYC just because there are so much more things I want to try with limited storage capacity :pregnant_woman:

I cut my last summer trip super short to fly back to LA for the food I missed, but I did made a visit to Tomoko San at a lesser known spot in Brooklyn. She offer $28 dessert tasting menu, which is definitely the best deal, quality and taste overall in the West coast, if not, in the US, for me. She was the first exec chef started out Cha-An tea house in NYC, 2004.

Patisserie Tomoko

568 Union Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 388-7121 Patisserie Tomoko - Google Search

@fattydumplin if you can make a visit and grab some Togo goodies, it would be super. Her pastry is a perfect blend between Japanese and French, very tasty. I haven’t found a equivalent place similar to this yet. They’re very well known for their cakes as well. I’ll look for photos later and add them in here.

1 Like

+1 on the point about Italian in NYC. It’s not that I necessarily have an LA vs NYC snobbery. More that we have so much good Italian in LA that we tend to do that a fair amount and so in NYC, I want to get more of the things LA doesn’t do so well.

Tomoko sounds great. Not sure I can convince my wife to trek to Brooklyn. But we loved Cha-An back in the day and one of our favorite places was Chikalicious so we are always a fan of Asian-owned dessert tasting bars / shops!

1 Like

As far as Manhattan goes imo south of 14th is a lot more interesting.

For breakfast/lunches/casual:

-Kopitiam. It’s on the Fujian side of Chinatown. Malaysian coffeeshop. You can get all of the different coffee drinks (I like the white coffee), kaya toast with egg, noodles, Malaysian/Chinese dishes (menu can change).

-Golden Diner. A tribute to NY/NJ diner but instead of Greek touches it’s Asian. Chef is a Momofuku alumni. Never had a bad dish here. One of my favorite places for breakfast.

-Re:Pizza. As far as Manhattan goes John’s of Bleecker for a whole pie. Slices…….Scarrs, Joe’s (Village location only), Bleecker Street, Mama’s Too, NY Pizza Suprema, Village Square. Skip the dollar slices. Lombardi is cool for the historic reasons, but I think by now it’s a tourist destination. Brooklyn is where it’s at though…Lucali’s (don’t forget the calzone), L’industrie, Paulie Gee’s, Luigi’s on 5th/Park Slope.

-Deli/bodegas……this is what I am going to miss when I come back to CA. This is NYC culture. At minimum get yourself a baconeggcheese. In Manhattan I really like delis/bodegas in the East Village. Sunny and Annie’s is a great spot.

-Thai and Vietnamese. I know we have Little Saigon and Thai Town but the past few years there has been some buzz around Thai and Vietnamese. It’s higher price point but the ingredients and cooking is top notch. For Thai: Soothr, Fish Cheeks, and Thai Diner (all nearby). For Viet I haven’t traveled down that road yet but will soon.

-If you are doing the museum/Central Park thing you must visit Zabar’s. Nothing like it in CA. You can get real lox, knishes, Jewish deli items, it’s a wonderland. There is Pastrami Queen on both sides of the park but I think Katz is the standard in NYC. Absolute Bagels and Barney’s Greengrass are also some great spots in the area. Best Bagels is probably your best bet in Midtown.

-Food halls? Chelsea Market is nice. The best spots are the Mexican places, Los Tacos and Los Mariscos. Very Fresh Noodles is on my to-do list. I honestly would skip the food halls. I think the fish tacos at Los Mariscos is pretty good, they have a tia making handmade tortillas for the fish tacos. Something you don’t see in LA (maybe even SD? I am not familiar with fish tacos scene in SD).

-Levain for the chocolate chip walnut cookies. Everyone likes these.

Hudson Yards train station has the Queens bound 7 train a gateway to Tibet, Ecuador, Colombia, Thailand, China, and other countries. If you guys are feeling adventurous and have a metro card.

Enjoy.

3 Likes

Ugly Baby is fun if you haven’t been. I used to hang out at Uncle Boon, the OG spot, during my run quite often before they closed down permanently. Not looking for extremely authentic Thai food, just good and consistent tasty meals overall to keep my day happy :blush:

1 Like

Good ideas! Will need to convince the fam we need to hit Barney’s Greengrass. That and Absolute were a tradition when we lived on the 90s…

The only miss for me is the deli / bodegas, lol! Used to be an investment banker and outside our building, we had the bodega that everyone went to and I couldn’t stand it, lol. I just never got bodegas…

Kopitiam - that is what i’m looking for! Sounds like an amazing way to start the day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely hit up Kopitiam and Golden Diner both my favorite breakfast spots.

2 Likes

Seconding most of your recs, made some similar earlier, but especially Fish Cheeks, Ugly Baby, Thai Diner, Golden Diner, Absolute bagel (owned by a Vietnamese family), Pastrami Queen, Kopitiam, and pizza generally. John’s was my childhood spot!

Is Kosar’s bialys still good? Also I prefer Russ and Daugters to Barney Greengrass but tomato tomatoe.

3 Likes

It’s fallen off some, but (afaik) it’s still pretty much the only game in town, bialy-wise.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I think pizza in Manhattan is subpar compared to the outer boroughs (I grew up in Queens so I am biased). The best slice shops in Manhattan in case you change your mind

• original Joe’s near Bleecker St
  • Pat and Joe’s (Staten Island is their original location). You can get whole pies and sit down here too.
  • Scarr’s for the pepperoni cups

Are pizza places in the 100s considered Manhattan or the Bronx? Mama Too’s is popular but I’ve never been. For pies John’s of Bleecker or Patsy’s.

3 Likes

Rubirosa in Little Italy/Nolita is from the same family as Joe and Pats. The speciality is the tie dye pizza….pesto, tomato, and vodka sauces. Looks pretty damn good. The family is known for super thin crust

2 Likes

Kosar’s is on my to-do list.

I really really want to go to Utopia Bagels all the way out in Whitestone, Queens. @js76wisco as a outer borough kid from Queens is Utopia where it’s at for bagels?

2 Likes

It’s good. Is it worth taking a long trek to? I dunno. Probably the most well known and popular bagel joint in Queens.
Our local bagel joint growing up was Bagel Oasis. It’s right off the LIE and open 24 hours a day. Good schmears and sandwiches. A working man’s joint.

2 Likes