Tuscan Son (West LA)

Try their lasagna and the roasted broccoli. Both are really good.

1 Like

Finally made it to Tuscan Son and was pleasantly surprised.

They serve egg dishes until 3:00 p.m. and I ordered the Tuscan Ranchero, which is kind of like an Italian shakshuka - eggs, mozzarella, basil, tomato sauce with avocado and roasted jalapeno. It took awhile to come, but it arrived at the table piping hot and shakshuka-style served in a cast iron skillet. It was delectable - even though it is not shakshuka because the flavors are different, I liked it better than the shakshuka at Republique and certainly more than the shakshuka at Hasiba. Came with a side of roasted potatoes (also piping hot) and toasted cibabatta.

For dessert, I took back to my office the cheesecake with berries. Maybe not the best I’ve ever had, but good and not overly sweet. Slice was a bit pricey at $6.95.

This place is definitely better than the mass market monstrosities in Century City like Greenleaf. Wish it was a bit closer to Century City to make it more feasible for lunch on a regular basis, but I see that they do deliver through Uber Eats.

Would definitely return.

2 Likes

Went back to Tuscan Son today for a very late lunch and I definitely consider this place to be the neighborhood find. Glad I finally tried it (thanks to the OP).

First of all, it’s more charming than it needs to be for a little neighborhood place and they did a good job decorating it with what I’m sure was not a huge budget.

Today, I had roasted organic chicken breast with oven roasted broccoli and braised cauliflower. It took forever to come (don’t order the cooked dishes if you are in a hurry), but that is the downside of having bona fide fresh food cooked to order. I didn’t really mind because two of my pet peeves are food that is not served warm enough and “fake” prefab food that most cheap neighborhood places use. (I’m thinking of Feast from the East on Westwood Blvd. where I used to enjoy a cheap meal until they started using – I’m convinced – pre-cooked chicken “product” rather than real chicken).

The broccoli was really tasty and the cauliflower was good as well. On the one hand, I thought the chicken breast was kind of boring while I was eating it (although I appreciated that it was freshly cooked with quality ingredients), but, on the other hand, as I was walking back to Century City after lunch, I just had that happy feeling that you get after having a decent home-cooked meal with quality ingredients, so even though the chicken may not have been that exciting, it hit the spot exactly.

This place is great!

3 Likes