UT: Sushi investigation nets seafood fraud convictions

When was the lawsuit? Back in 2006 lobster prices were more than langoustines. Nowadays, the opposite is true. With maine lobster being so abundant and cheap, it would be cheaper to use maine lobster than langoustines.

Local spiny lobsters are good no doubt. But fresh local spiny vs fresh langoustines…it’s langoustines >> lobster for me every time. The meat is more tender and it’s far sweeter. Like silk vs 800 thread count cotton. Just my preference.

Yes but the fast food chain Rubios is still using Langostinos in place of lobster, which common sense indicates that they are still getting Langostinos much cheaper than they can lobster.

I’m pretty sure the confusion is langostinos vs langoustines. My apologies to @lectroid for confusing the initial post myself.

Langostinos in Italy and Spain are just giant tiger shrimp (google the pictures).

http://lamaquinadeltiempo.es/como-cocer-langostinos-la-diferencia-entre-los-langostinos-frescos-y-congelados/

Langoustines aka cigalas (Spanish) aka scampi (Italian) aka Norwegian lobster are Nephrops norvegicus.

Imagine my disappointment when I ordered langostinos instead of scampi in Italy because I wanted langoustines :frowning:

Edited:

See below wikipedia entry. The langostino below (squat lobster) is probably what’s being used at fast food places. Hideous looking thing and not what either of us are talking about.

Exactly. I was being terribly US-centric about it, but I knew I wasn’t completely crazy.

Of course, this whole confusion demonstrates exactly the sort of problem the article (and others like it) are about.

Hence, the need for DNA testing, since at least then everyone can agree on what critter is being eaten, even if it’s known by several names.

Not completely sure about the need for DNA testing. It appears they had no lobster on site during inspections, and no invoices for the purchase of lobster.

Yet lobster rolls were being served.

Now I’m a little old, and I’m scratching my head, but I don’t think a DNA test is exactly necessary in these situations.

2 Likes