Vegetarian Rundown

Lu’s Garden.

This is one of my mom’s favorite places.

Lots of vegetable dishes.

And the sweet potato porridge is a MUST.

San Gabriel.

3 Likes

I used to be a PizzeriaMozzaHater (PMH™) but went to a party there a week ago and loved the pizza for the first time since they opened. My beef was the old cracker-type crust was like biting into a shingle. The pies had more chew at this party in their Jack Warner Room (which i assume serves exactly the same pies as the dining room).

1 Like

Lemon grass chicken from Thien Tam in El Monte. Even though it’s vegan, it tastes better than most versions of lemon grass chicken that use the actual animal.

2 Likes

Me too, thought it was just me. Don’t even consider getting it to go. Not being a straight-up red sauce pizza lover, I have always loved the toppings though: eggs & potatoes, funghi misti, great cheeses. But like you, last time we were there (father’s day) the crust had improved.

1 Like

the bean and cheese taco from Guisados is actually my favorite taco there, by a wide margin. bean and cheese taco + corn tamale for a full vegetarian meal.

the tomato pie from tomato pie.

1 Like

i always categorized happy family as “no apologies vegetarian” in that they really didn’t try to emulate meat in their dishes. i kinda respect that; why try to simulate the sensation of… sin(?)?[quote=“TheCookie, post:4, topic:4925”]
delicious faux ham sandwich
[/quote]

1 Like

That’s funny, and they call their dishes the same name as the meat dish: fried oysters, ham bun, Kung pao chicken, creamy crab hand roll. I’m getting hungry. I :heart: that place.

I know you sometimes make it out to OC…

Thuyen Vien in Anaheim, kinda close to the Mouse House does a garlic “chicken” that I really like.

1 Like

I have some sad news to report. Yelp reports Happy Family in Rosemead is closed RIP. How am I going to tell my sister? :disappointed: I’m glad we were there recently for a big family birthday.

Does anyone know if any other locations are the same? I accidentally went to one and it was not :angry:.

Speaking of Anaheim I’ll be having lunch at Kareem’s in Little Arabia. Thee best falafel and babaganoush

3 Likes

Monterey Park and Rowland Heights.

Sweet!

My family is in mourning right now (the females anyway) :slight_smile:. We’re actually texting about Happy Family dinners, people who aren’t with us anymore, and exchanging pictures. Good grief. Apparently the other locations aren’t quite the same: no ham buns, creamy crab hand rolls, fried oysters, etc. Oh well…

1 Like

Try Vege Paradise.

Upstairs in the Focus Plaza.

2 Likes

Great. We’ll check it out. My vegetarian, SGV living sister is not happy right now. H.F. was the only veggie place she could get us to happily travel to. Green Leaves is just a no. It’s not bad but… No.

1 Like

@ipsedixit is right, @TheCookie: Vege Paradise is most excellent! (And it’s great fun to wander Focus Plaza, though that parking lot is…challenging.)

Vege Paradise

2 Likes

Oh that does seem good.

By the way, if you just want a vegetarian meal and are not necessarily a vegetarian, then China Red is your answer, especially if you enjoy bitter melon.

I think we discussed it on another thread, but I’m bookmarking now. Thanks!

Kareem’s
(Anaheim “Little Arabia”, Brookhurst x Ball)

Strip mall delicious. Kareem’s is well known for their falafel, available in-store, Middle Eastern markets, and some restaurants source them.

Babaganoush with warm pita. Very nice.

Oh yeah the falafel wrap. Tahini sauce and a pickle on the side. A must get. So far my favorite falafel. Better than Sahara’s up the street.

Never tried Joe’s by Universal Studios, but will visit when I go to Universal for dat Harry Potter/Walking Dead/Simpsons.

7 Likes