Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

kahn x spain

2 Likes

Good looking menu! Is ‘fideo’ too déclassé a word to use in the description of the Rossenjat

2 Likes

Olé

Someone report back if this iteration is worth the reheating effort.

da fuk is going on at vespertine?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSn7PJbrgNA/

3 Likes

okay apparently it’s a fucking cadillac commercial.

congratulations
500G - Shark Jumped

https://www.instagram.com/p/CShNTqkLGd2/

4 Likes

Good for them (the chefs, I meean), but, as someone who follows cars, Cadillac just continues to badly misfire in its marketing and attempts at relevance. Bwahahahahahaha.

Okay, back to thread.

3 Likes

The actual videos are available in the article if anybody is interested.

1 Like

“For me, food is much more than what’s on the plate,” said Kahn, “Food is the earth, creation, and transformation. It’s engagement of all five senses and a meeting of the past, present and future. A dining experience at Vespertine defies typical expectations and just as importantly connects people to themselves and others in an intimate and unforgettable way. This can also be said about the passion for driving, especially among brands like Cadillac, and their desire to reshape the future of electric vehicles to focus on the sensorial connection between car and driver.”

Sounds like a dream meal for a grease monkey!

new orleans

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTANergFjtJ/

1 Like

Ever wonder what happened to the taiyaki fish molds :fish: from Chef Jordan Kahn’s infamous 2020 Japan takeout menu?

“cold smoked black cod, japanese waffle, yogurt, endive, dill” at Destroyer, that’s what :joy:

This made me chuckle and brought some much needed levity into my day, and it was delicious :yum: I paired it with the sugar cube melon, tapioca and coconut cream dish and made it into a 3 course meal finishing with a chocolate frangipane croissant.

First time visit to nearby Destroyer, since I currently can’t afford to do Vespertine takeout, it’s nice to be able to go to Kahn’s bakery/cafe instead — can’t wait to go back, it’s my favorite place right now.

PS: the yogurt cream was topped with tiny cubes of minced dill pickle and the crispy yet fluffy taiyaki contained bits of dill — a nice complement both in terms of taste and concept.

11 Likes

After reading the email alert saying “With every meal purchased, a donation will be made to support Louisiana Hurricane Ida relief and recovery” my :heart: strings got pulled really hard so I decided to blow most of my dining out budget on Vespertine’s NOLA menu for this weekend.

The pleasant experience last weekend at their cafe/bakery Destroyer was a deciding factor as well.

I didn’t order any of the extras like pecan pralines and Cafe du Monde style beignets due to budget and diet. The blackened chicken jambalaya supplement seemed to be sold out already.

Eating very low carb from today in anticipation of all of the meals ahead, will report back.

8 Likes

Sorry for the late report, but I’ve been too busy enjoying my many meals from the Vespertine New Orleans take out I picked up last Sunday :yum::yum::yum:

From top left:

Andouille & Crawfish “Etoufée” Biscuit

Sonoma Valley Duck Gumbo

Blue Crab Gratin and baguette

Blackened Alligator Sausage with Abita Lager

Sweet Corn Maque Choux

Creole BBQ Wild Gulf Shrimp [1 dozen]

“Banana’s Foster” Bread Pudding

Pics 1 through 7 show the dishes unheated, pics 8 (alligator sausage, maque choux and “etouffe” w/biscuit off camera) and 9 (blue crab gratin with sliced baguette crouton) show them replated and reheated.

I’m so happy to have splurged for this meal! It was so full of protein that I made some rice to soak up the rich sauce of the duck gumbo (smoked duck leg and duck/pork sausage) for day 4 and 5.

I ate the blue crab gratin as a 1st course with sliced baguette croutons - the toaster oven came in handy to give a proper browned crust to the gratin.

The rest were reheated as mix and matches, but I made sure to finish the blue crab gratin and the crawfish sausage etouffe by day 3. Both of these dishes were chock full of crustaceans! I was also surprised to find out the Creole BBQ shrimp consisted of 12 full size gulf shrimp! I even ate the buttery sauce the shrimp came in by the spoonful.

I didn’t have a chance to eat corn all season so the Maque Choux with Brentwood corn, okra and smoked tomato was a special highlight.

I saved up the Sonoma Valley smoked duck leg with duck/pork sausage for a humpday Wednesday and Thursday meal with homemade rice stashed in the freezer, grilled zucchini and paired it with a glass of Syrah Cabernet blend from the pantry.

On day 6, I used the alligator sausage I set aside and served it with some Anson Mills quick grits cooked with grassfed cheddar and a pat of butter and sunny side up egg - deelish! The distinct gaminess and sweetness of the alligator pork sausage shone brightly when paired with homemade grits. Can’t wait to finish it up this weekend.

I am the last person on earth who’d order bread pudding for dessert and Kahn’s “Bananas Foster” bread pudding with the salted whipped cream really floored me. Loved how the sauce would caramelize during the reheat and I’d spend my time eating every last bit down to scraping the caramelized bits off the sides of the pan, yum! :drooling_face:

14 Likes

@LouisianaMouth would be proud of the fine work Jordan and you have done on this meal!

3 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob Please give my best regards to @LouisianaMouth aka Mrs. CiaoBob - I hope her family and friends in Louisiana will be ok despite the ravages of Hurricane Ida.

Props to Vespertine for making humanitarian relief donations from a portion of the sales of the New Orleans meals.

5 Likes

That shrimp was as good as I remembered from Mr. B’s. I have to admit I was drinking that sauce, too :drooling_face: But I really wish there were shrimp heads, tho…

Everything else was great. All in all a great meal.

1 Like

i just wanted to say that this entire thread is AMAZING.
the sketch, the breakup prior to the reservation, the ebbs and flows of the takeout series, the resurrection of the fish molds from the japan disaster

15 Likes

It’s like you are a kid seeing Caddyshack for the first time. That sketch is an FTC classic. :grin:

4 Likes