Vespertine - The Gaffe of Kahn

Didn’t Infiniti (the car company) try a thematically similar (rock, water, trees) marketing campaign back in 1990? It was an infamous and complete failure.

I don’t suspect this marketing campaign is going to go much better (although I’m sure the food itself will be fine).

1 Like

“Bespoke”, so tailored to each diner’s tastes and needs?

1 Like

Courtroom sketch of life-force healing succulents forthcoming?

10 Likes

“bespoke” “sound”, so each diner gets their own custom note played over and over throughout the meal.

10 Likes

Perhaps there’ll be a dish that play with the concept of time? Maybe a venison sous vide and comes with a headphone so you can hear the sound of the exact animal you’re about to consume…illustrating nature’s life to death cycle?

keanu-reeves-crying

11 Likes

in your headphones, you will hear the deer talking to you (translated of course) “this is my gift to you, my body my life”

10 Likes

Secret video from Jordan’s new restaurant

6 Likes

Is Vespertine ever coming back?

Peony: saw this on their instagram! Wondering if “Returning Winter” suggests anything…

I’m pretty sure it said Fall not that long ago :joy: I’ll believe it when I see it though as LA is such a tough city for restaurants. They’ve been dormant since Meteora opened and if they had kept a lot of their staff through the pandemic via takeout (which I find hard to believe), most of them might have gone over to open Meteora.

1 Like

Soooo when they said winter, they might have meant next winter. V E S P E R T I N E on Instagram: "Vespertine is now hiring all positions. Please DM if interested or send CV to careers@vespertine.la"

I did see signs of some work inside the space when we were at the IHCLA event next door last week.

1 Like

Vespertine in Culver City has been generally quiet since chef Jordan Kahn ceased the former two Michelin-starred restaurant’s dinner service almost four years ago. But the tasting menu boîte is coming back, wild-foraged ingredients, futuristic serviceware included. This time around, Kahn promises an evolution of the restaurant which includes collaborations with artists that work in other mediums such as music (Kahn is teaming up with Icelandic vocalist Jónsi and American producer/composer Paul Corley on Vespertine’s score); diners will continue to move through the restaurant’s various unique dining spaces as they experience the $395, 16-course menu.

1 Like

In the spirit of rebirth, the multi-sensory, fine-dining restaurant from Chef Kahn has been renewed to reflect a thoughtful evolution of the ethos of Vespertine and will integrate world class collaborators from perfumers and musicians to designers and artisans

1 Like

did you go more than once? wondering how many dinners you had to have to get the early access email. also, what is the price?

Only once very early on, although we did get multiple meals during their COVID takeout concept. It’s almost certainly sent to all their newsletter subscribers, which I forgot I was signed up for because it’s been so quiet since then. Looking at the reservation page it looks like the price is $395/person + drinks, tax, service

3 Likes

Dang so 500+ pp before drinks…

https://www.opentable.com/restaurant/profile/987574

Hooray!!! Made a reservation. So excited. ***

can’t wait to try this glass paper weight

2 Likes