Vibrant Middle Eastern Cuisine By Way of Bestia - Bavel (Grand Opening) [Thoughts + Pics]

Going tonight 8:45 w 3 friends… second time going but went solo last time woooo

2 Likes

Nice @skramzlife. Please let us know how your dinner turns out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is critical info. Can. Not. Wait. To try this hummus.

1 Like

Definitely good to know. Suppose I must return to conduct more research :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope your quest will take you to Tel Aviv for the ultimate hummus.

Update 3:

Scallop Crudo (Pomegranate Molasses, Citrus, Burnt Serrano Chile Oil, Charred Cucumber, Mint, Black Sesame):

Refreshing, bright, very fresh Scallops. On paper it sounded like there might be too many ingredients going on, but it worked: Some sunny citrus-y notes, a bit of heat from the Burnt Serrano Chile Oil, a faint backnote of sweetness from the Pomegranate Molasses that thankfully didn’t overpower the dish.

Baba Ghanoush (Smoked Eggplant, Burnt Bell Pepper, Red Walnuts, Lemon Chili Salt, Fried Pita):

As fantastic as before. Smoky, creamy (but in a pleasing rustic puree, not overly smooth), nutty, and that fresh, Handmade Fried Pita with Turmeric Lime Salt arriving piping hot is still a perfect match for the Baba Ghanoush. So good! :heart:

Foie Gras Halva (Creamy Paté, Date Paste, Black Sesame, Buckwheat Loaf):

Luscious, lightly sweet but savory and that Handmade Buckwheat Loaf (also arriving piping hot and toasted) being crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside is still one of the best Breads in the city and the perfect match for the Foie Gras Halva. :blush:

Duck 'Nduja Hummus (Creamy Garbanzo Beans, Jerusalem Mix Spice, Herbs, Pita):

And then we have Chef Ori Menashe’s standout Duck 'Nduja Hummus, which is still meaty, aromatic, sparkling in its Jerusalem Mix Spice seasoning with jabs of heat and spice and multiple layers of flavor (along with the creamy Hummus itself), all on top of the excellent Handmade Pitas that are still pillowy, airy, and piping hot, made to order! :heart:

Cucumber & Artichoke (Orange Blossom, Pickled Rose Onion, Margold, Green Garlic & Pistachio Dukkah):

Still as bright and vibrant as before. The Cucumbers still had that snap and crispness, some creaminess and floral undertones. :slight_smile:

Roasted Cauliflower (Hawaij Chile Sauce, Creme Fraiche Serrano Dip, Pistachios, Dried Flowers):

Big thanks to @PorkyBelly for this recommendation. This is indeed a beautifully spicy dish, with a noticeable heat level, but nothing too potent (not like Howlin’ Ray’s Level 4 (Hot) or higher, or Jitlada insanity). It was this enticing heat and zestiness and it made it one of the more memorable Cauliflower dishes we’ve had recently. :blush:

Slow Roasted Lamb Neck Shawarma (Crème Fraiche Tahini, Fermented Cabbage, Pickled Turnips, Laffa):

The Slow Roasted Lamb Neck Shawarma was still as tender and succulent as before, but perhaps a touch saltier than the earlier days (but still quite tasty). :slight_smile:

The Habanero Pickled Mango Sauce was still excellent with the Lamb and some of the Housemade Laffa Bread torn off.

Cardamom Apple Prune Cake (Date Toffee Sauce, Cream):

An excellent new Dessert from Pastry Chef Genevieve Gergis. It’s decadent without feeling too heavy or too sweet, moist, and balanced.

Another Visit:

We had some friends stopping by, wanting to try something new, so we took them to Bavel. :slight_smile:

The dining room is still as inviting and cheery as usual.

Duck 'Nduja Hummus (Creamy Garbanzo Beans, Jerusalem Mix Spice, Herbs, Pita):

We had just tried out a new Mediterranean spot for lunch the previous week, and the Pita they provided was the ubiquitous, mass-manufactured, dried-out, cardboard-like hockey puck that most people think of when they hear “Pita.”

Having Chef Ori Menashe’s Handmade, Made-To-Order Pita, piping hot and so pillowy is still something I marvel at and don’t take for granted. It is fantastic! :heart:

Baba Ghanoush (Smoked Eggplant, Burnt Bell Pepper, Red Walnuts, Lemon Chili Salt, Fried Pita):

Our friends loved both of the starters (Duck Hummus and this Baba Ghanoush). And they were stunned by the Handmade Pita and this Fried Pita with Turmeric Salt. My friend doesn’t eat that many carbs and devoured her portion of this Pita, so we ordered another one on the side. :smile:

Fried Quail (Cardamom Date Sauce, Pickled Celery, Smoked Yogurt, Herbs):

This was delicious: Perfectly fried Quail, crunchy batter, moist, juicy meat on the inside. :blush:

Half Duck (Whole Aged Duck, Breast Kebab, Confit Leg, Green Amba, Bone Broth, Chicory Salad):

It was really nice to see Chef Menashe bring back the Aged Half Duck on the menu again. It was one of my favorite items on their Grand Opening menu, but at that time, Chef Menashe didn’t have enough room to keep it on the menu for more than a day or two.

The Aged Duck Breast Kebab was tender with a light funk from the aging, but still very subtle (not as pronounced as Charcoal’s Aged Duck).

Their Duck Confit Leg portion remains the star here: Moist, succulent, fork-tender meat, with a crisped outer skin.

The Duck Bone Broth was unfortunately too salty. :frowning:

Licorice Ice Cream Bon Bon (Sour Licorice Caramel, Muscovado Cake, Caramelized White Chocolate, Maldon):

I don’t like Licorice, but Pastry Chef Gergis’ Licorice Root Ice Cream Bonbon remains one of the best new Desserts we’ve tried recently. The layers of flavors you get from the Caramelized White Chocolate, Muscovado Cake center, and that backnote of Licorice (not the processed overpowering flavors of Licorice Candy, but something more delicate and subtle), served chilled with that finish of Maldon Salt. Fantastic! :heart:

Bavel continues to deliver on its excellent Spreads and Handmade Breads, creative Appetizers and some tasty Protein dishes, along with some interesting Desserts. Chef Ori Menashe and Pastry Chef Genevieve Gergis’ interpretation of their families’ heritage’s cuisine (Israel, Morocco, Turkey and Egypt) shine through here.

I still dream about their Duck 'Nduja Hummus and Handmade Freshly Baked Pita, their Foie Gras Halva with that crunchy Handmade Buckwheat Loaf and the Baba Ghanoush and excellent Fried Turmeric Pita. Their new Fried Quail, the spicy Roasted Cauliflower and various other Vegetable Appetizers are worth ordering as well. And don’t forget to finish up with a chilled Licorice Root Ice Cream Bonbon.

Bavel
500 Mateo Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Tel: (213) 232-4966

10 Likes

Loved the Duck.
Great report.

1 Like

Can we get a few more pics of the hummus in here? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’ll be hitting Bavel on the 24th for the first time. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

I have no pictures and never been to Bavel but you have the best handle on FTC I’ve seen so far.

1 Like

This may be my favorite thing to eat in LA right now. If foie is really banned in CA, I will be moving.

4 Likes

Hi @ipsedixit,

Yes! I love that Foie Gras Halva as well. :blush: The Housemade Buckwheat Loaf is so toasty and fragrant and the combination with the Foie Gras spread… so good!

Maybe Chef Ori will “give away” the Foie Gras Halva with an order of Buckwheat? :wink:

1 Like

I believe foie gras can be sold legally until the Ninth Circuit issues an order removing its stay.

Any recent visits? I’m going tonight for the first-time and thinking of ordering
Hummus
Babaganoush
Confit okra
Salad or cauliflower
Beef cheeks

I don’t see the chicken on the menu. We’d probably end up subbing for the duck 4 ways. Anything else as a must order?

3 Likes

Prawns

2 Likes

Hi @js76wisco,

Nice! Their original Hummus is great, but I love their Duck 'Nduja Hummus even more, but that’s totally up to you. :wink:

Everything else on your list looks good, and as @PorkyBelly said, the Prawns are great. :slight_smile:

If you want another protein the Aged Duck, or else the Lamb Neck Shawarma.

Be on the lookout for specials (ask your server). Enjoy!

2 Likes

Excellent meal. Great service.
Highlights
Prawns @PorkyBelly - literally ate every single morsel of each shrimp.
Duck Hummus - better than the regular hummus. Best hummus and pita we’ve ever had. None of us have ever been to the middle east, Shaya or Dinzengoff. Not sure how those could be better but I trust others opinions.
Okra - so crunchy crispy and delicious.
Babaganoush
Cauliflower

We also got the duck and beef tagine. We all liked the duck skewers but the confit was a little gamey and stringy. The broth was salty. Beef tagine had good flavor but was salty even when you combined bites with the couscous. I think somebody said they could just stick with the starters. Probably not a bad idea.

7 Likes

Thanks for reporting @js76wisco! Very nice. Sticking with the starters isn’t a bad idea when they’re that good!

1 Like

I am a little late coming here but better late than never!

Free Parking was easy to find on the streets surrounding Bavel. I was flying Han Solo so got an immediate seat at the bar.

Much has been said and written about Bavel, so my expectations were high!

It’s a beautiful space to dine in particularly in the main dining room with the draping plants. Service, just like Bestia, was exceptional and on point. Little communication was needed on my end as the service was excellent. Okay the most important part…the food

Had to try this. I am not the biggest fan of hummus tbh but I always finished it when eating at fast and casual places. The pita came nice, warm, and fluffy. A staff member saw noticed one of my pitas was slightly black/charred and brought out another. That was a nice touch and gesture although it tasted fine to me. The duck ‘nduja was pretty tasty and nicely seasoned. I probably like this component more than the hummus.

Damn! The Babaganoush was great! Smoky, creamy, a touch of sweet. I prefer this over the hummus. The fried pita was a perfect vehicle for this!

These mushroom had some good smoke to them and was perfectly salted. Delicious, but it comes at $20 lol. Can’t remember the last time I had such great mushrooms (maybe Raku?).

The beef cheek was fine but I hate to say it the couscous stole the show…incredibly airy! Nutty with some sweetness and richness to bring it all in. Are you kidding me with this!

Licorice Bon Bon. Wow you get the licorice but also some tartness on the bottom, and butteriness from the ice cream.

I guess the hype is real! Yeah it’s kinda sceney but the food is damn good. I’ll have to come back and try the prawns, and cauliflower.

8 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

So glad you liked your visit to Bavel! :slight_smile: Yes, their Handmade Pitas are so good, right? Always arriving freshly cooked, piping hot. :slight_smile: (I love both versions.)

You’ll have to try their Housemade Buckwheat Toast that comes with the (used to be Foie Gras), now Chicken Liver Pate, also amazing, so nutty, earthy, yet airy as well.

Love that Licorice Bon Bon! :slight_smile:

Were they serving the Turmeric Chicken tonight? It’s been off the menu for a bit, but one of the best dishes Chef Ori makes.

1 Like