Vibrant Middle Eastern Cuisine By Way of Bestia - Bavel (Grand Opening) [Thoughts + Pics]

So many people like this place so much I feel like I should give it another shot, but they fell so short of expectations when I went I don’t think I can bring myself to risk wasting another meal.

Hi @robert,

I don’t blame you for feeling hesitant, sorry to hear about your experience.

To be fair, you did enjoy the hummus and handmade pita (love those items), and the flavors of the licorice bon bon (just not as frozen). The mushrooms appetizer, we also didn’t have a good experience with, agreed. But other friends and FTC’ers have gone and enjoyed them, so I’ll have to try them again (maybe it was an off day).

The malawah bread ranged from OK to pretty good the few times we’ve ordered it. Agree with you on the tiny amount of zhoug though. There are many other dishes that might be worth a shot trying out perhaps.

1 Like

It was just shockingly hit and miss for a place that gets that kind of accolades. At home I can go to Dyafa or Shrimp Falafel Mix.

probably not worth using up a slot if you can get similar food better executed closer to home. especially since you already didn’t enjoy your first experience.

I thought it was just average myself so you’re not alone. It wasn’t bad per se, but it wasn’t a memorable meal by any stretch. One and done for me.

1 Like

Didn’t have them on this visit. Next time! A big push to try them for me was your reviews

2 Likes

I didn’t have anything average, it was a mix of good / excellent and bad / worse.

It was a Tuesday night, so maybe it was the B team.

Ditto here.

I have been to Bavel a dozen times, almost always excellent. There have been a few less than stellar main courses, but otherwise, one of my favorite restaurants.

1 Like

Went last night!

Spot prawns were devastatingly good. Like… that’s an absolute must order. Maybe two orders as some of you have mentioned upthread. The scallop crudo was also mindblowing: a great balance of tartness from the pomegranate reduction, the bitterness of the black sesame and the freshness of the blueberry.

Duck hummus was fine; it’s just like someone took really good hummus and made it spicy? Pita was good, but maybe my palate is not so trained to taste the difference between here and Tel Aviv Grill, lol.

Also got the lamb neck and that may have been the one flat-out “miss” of the night. Don’t get me wrong… it was executed very well but (imo) the QPR is not there, for a dish that many of you can knock out at home. The pickles on the side were great, though.

The house-made ginger beer and the apple cake for dessert were both excellent.

Service was impeccable and truly elevated Bavel to a “fine dining” feel. It’s always special when staff is the right level of attentive.

I’d absolutely go back again but skip the large format mains.

2 Likes

Hi Raihan,

Thanks for the report back. Glad you enjoyed your meal. We love the spot prawns as well. :slight_smile:

For the handmade pitas, I think Bavel is definitely better than Tel Aviv Grill, but Tel Aviv and Ta-Eem’s pitas (and Bavels) are so far above like 95% of the various Middle Eastern restaurants that give you mass manufactured pita that tastes as dry and chalky as cardboard. :wink:

You should try the Baba Ghanoush with their handmade puffed pita next time, also a standout. :slight_smile: And for the mains, the beef cheek tagine and turmeric chicken (if you see it rotate back on the menu) are very good.

Glad you liked your first Bavel visit @JeetKuneBao. Good report! You took us with you. The hype has died down and you remind me I’d like to go back.

It’s funny I & others have said the same thing about the Hummus & Duck ‘Nduja, that the Hummus is kinda’ bland, but the ‘Nduja is nicely spiced & tasty. I wonder if this is on purpose. It does have good texture and is a great vehicle for the great Pita. I’m not a big Cauliflower person but the Spicy Cauliflower was my favorite dish! I liked the shared plate Mezze type dishes more than the entrees, myself, but the soft fluffy Couscous is so on point.

2 Likes

I think I should give Bavel another try we thought it was very good but not outstanding as compared to a lot of other places everyone collectively likes on FTC. Although it was the first Friday of service

2 Likes