Visiting SF from LA

b patisserie kouign amann when still warm are unbeatable, but otherwise arsicault makes the best pastry (croissaints and kouign amann), in part because they have much faster turnover (at the cost of having to wait a while in line). tartine morning bun (especially when warm) is the other iconic sf pastry.

I think at last report @chandavkl thought the best SF Bay Area dim sum was second to Vancouver’s and ahead of SGV’s.

1 Like

I’ve loved Golden Boy for 44 years but the lines are ridiculous and North Beach has become a tourist trap. Oh, I see you can get whole sheets at San Mateo. It’s thick and soft, really focaccia with toppings.

Never heard of Dumpling Home, Tuna Kahuha, or Stick & Steam. I would not go to Hayes Valley for Chinese food. It’s an expensive hipster / yuppie neighborhood, roughly equivalent to Fairfax only the boutiques are more upscale than hip.There are some good to great restaurants there, but of the types you’d expect on Fairfax or La Brea or in Hancock Park.

As long as I’m doing LA-SF neighborhood comparisons, the Peninsula is, as far as restaurants go, similar to the Valley. Lots of moderately expensive restaurants for upper-income types.

Except that Millbrae and San Mateo are also, along with Milpitas and the westernmost parts of SF, our counterpart of the SGV.

And San Mateo is also sort of Little Tokyo.

3 Likes

hard no on Stick And Steam, if you’re talking about the one on University Ave in Palo Alto. Gentrified, overpriced Chinese. Not worth the time or money.

Thanks for pointing out distinctions. I’ve spent little time ‘down there.’ :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the recommendations!

Zareen’s - loved the Chicken Boti Sizzler - chicken was very juicy and flavorful - no need for sauces!

Palette - the Typhoon Shrimp Dumplings were excellent - it’s like crispy shrimp dumplings with salt/pepper/garlic crispy crumbs with it. Wagyu fried rice was just okay.

Tuna Kahuna - Yuzu Salmon poke bowl was really good. Rice was warm with a subtle flavor. The Spicy Chili Garlic bowl was overwhelmed by too much chili oil.

Golden Boy Pizza - just okay. Enjoyed the clams and garlic but didn’t realize it was going to be red sauce based. Was expecting more of a New Haven clam pizza.

State Bird Provisions - everything we ordered was very good.

Arsicault - loved the kouign amann and ham and cheese croissant. Chocolate croissant had too much chocolate and was kinda soggy.

Takahashi Market - loco moco patty a little too sweet but gravy was good. Kalua Pork was standard.

If ever you’re in Sacramento, try Yue Huang - peking duck was excellent. a little different because it had bones but the sauce/marinade was very flavorful.

1 Like

Should’ve gotten kouign amann from B Patisserie not Arsicault.

Actually, we also got kouign amann from B Patisserie =)

1 Like