Waking Up To A Japanese Breakfast - Fukagawa & Ise-Shima [Thoughts + Pics]

That would be my guess too.

@Chowseeker1999 You die? Not my idea of a good combo.
So glad you enjoyed Fukugawa. I’ve been going with my best friend and her family for ages. We still can’t believe how good of a deal it is. Do try the dashimaki one time…it’s super good.

1 Like

Hi @Bookwich,

The waitress at Fukagawa said a fried egg / sunny side up egg was something she and her family enjoyed (she’s Japanese) with their breakfast, and she recommended it to us (as the option to choose) when we went. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

:grin: Thanks. Yah, Fukagawa was nice. I’ll definitely try the dashimaki the next time we go, thanks!

AYCE breakfasts in Japan are one of the things I look forward to most when I travel :speak_no_evil: I’ve only done the one at Hotel Metropolitan in Ikebukuro since a friend works there, but the regular price is about the same as Ise-Shima. Thanks for the reviews…I think I’ll have to take myself out to breakfast :yum:

1 Like

Or that Sinbad never played a genie in a 90s movie.

Nothing is what it seems.

This sounds very appealing to me, but the 2 1/2 hour bus trip does not. Are there any commendable restaurants offering something like this in the SFV, Hollywood, WeHo, Westwood or DTLA areas?

I would like to note that I just got turned on to a band called “Japanese Breakfast.” I just pre-ordered their new album (on red vinyl!!!). It’s released tomorrow.

This has nothing to do with food.

That is all.

Lol I was going to post this the other day but decided not too…

Looks like our very own @JThur01 made his way over to Fukagawa, too!

2 Likes

“Combo A is vegetarian (not vegan): a bowl of rice, miso soup, cold tofu with scallions and bonito flakes, pickled vegetables, a sheet of nori (seaweed) and an egg.”

@JThur01 - if it’s served with bonito flakes, it’s not vegetarian.

That being said, I wish it was closer!

1 Like

“What do you mean he don’t eat no meat?!?!”
“…Oh that’s ok, that’s ok. I’ll make lamb.”

• Aunt Vuola, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

“Fish meat is practically a vegetable.”

• Ron Swanson, Parks and Rec

Japanese cuisine is a deceptive mine field for vegetarians, much like baked goods are the same for vegans. But as my nutrition prof lectured,
“Regardless of the literal definition, many have their own definition for what vegetarianism is.”

3 Likes

D’oh! Complete and total brain f*rt. Thanks for mentioning it. It’s already been changed. I wish it was closer to me too :frowning:

1 Like

That I did. It’s quite a haul for me, but there are many places like Fukagawa that haven’t received much coverage in quite some time. I wanted to remedy that.

4 Likes

My definition is the literal definition.

1 Like

It was a great article, @JThur01! My friend shared the article today, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I’m familiar with the author. Can’t wait to see the next unsung hero you lead folks to next!

1 Like

You’d be surprised how many, and which, luminaries are actually registered on this site, many of whom are unfortunately simply observers and silent participants.

4 Likes

@ipsedixit is this your way of calling them out? I hope it works.

3 Likes

I think the literal definition would not allow dried bonito flakes, or any other products that are considered the flesh or other body parts of “sentient beings.” But again - to each his/her own definition.

3 Likes

It doesn’t. The article has been corrected. My point was I share the literal defintion and have none of my own, aside from what appeared to be so from an utter and complete brain cramp :slight_smile:

The bonito flakes aren’t dried by the way. They are wet :slight_smile:

2 Likes