'We fiercely disagree': SF In-N-Out sends strong message against COVID

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/we-fiercely-disagree-sf-in-n-out-sends-strong-message-against-covid-vaccine-mandate/ar-AAPJ0Hh

Full statement from In-N-Out:

On Thursday, October 14, the San Francisco Department of Public Health closed our restaurant at 333 Jefferson Street because In-N-Out Burger Associates (employees) were not preventing the entry of Customers who were not carrying proper vaccination documentation. Our store properly and clearly posted signage to communicate local vaccination requirements.

After closing our restaurant, local regulators informed us that our restaurant Associates must actively intervene by demanding proof of vaccination and photo identification from every Customer, then act as enforcement personnel by barring entry for any Customers without the proper documentation.

As a Company, In-N-Out Burger strongly believes in the highest form of customer service and to us that means serving all Customers who visit us and making all Customers feel welcome. We refuse to become the vaccination police for any government. It is unreasonable, invasive, and unsafe to force our restaurant Associates to segregate Customers into those who may be served and those who may not, whether based on the documentation they carry, or any other reason.

We fiercely disagree with any government dictate that forces a private company to discriminate against customers who choose to patronize their business. This is clear governmental overreach and is intrusive, improper, and offensive.

1 Like

I think any restaurant has a case to make about carrying the burden of enforcement, but the language they choose to use (segregate, governmental overreach) is a huge dog whistle to the recently generated anti-vaxxer right. They have the right to make their political stance loudly known, and Californians can take that into consideration when deciding where to dine.

12 Likes

I wonder if the bible verses on the cups will change

1 Like

Baked potato with butter

They seem like Don Quixote tilting at windmills in this one. I’m not going to stop going but I’m definitely giving them side eye for it

1 Like

Looking forward to their statement regarding the zombie apocalypse.

Warrior: I wish I could agree with this bold anti-government statement, but I cannot. Requiring people to get vaccinated to help protect our society against a disease that has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans is a legitimate government function.

5 Likes

While I’m very much in favor of there being mandated proof of vaccination for indoor dining, I feel badly for the staff - regardless of whether it’s fast food, mid-range, or higher end - who are having to enforce the rules.

I don’t know what the answer is. I don’t know how we get to a point where we’re all on the same page in terms of protecting and respecting one another.

7 Likes

Going out to restaurants and bars in San Francisco, seems like everyone’s on the same page. It’s probably relevant that there hasn’t been a Republican on the Board of Supervisors since 1978.

A tourist neighborhood like Fisherman’s Wharf might be different, but is SF really someplace aggressive anti-vaxholes are visiting these days?

1 Like

“Since the notice of closure was issued, the business has taken steps to comply and has since resumed operations for outdoor dining and takeout only,” according to the public health department’s statement.

If there was a restaurant that started attracting a particular concentration of the unvaccinated, unmasked, and Covid-deniers, would you be less likely to go? Because that’s what In N’ Out is now.

Conservative media outlets and politicians have since stated their support for In-N-Out, saying people who support “freedom” should buy food from or go support any nearby locations. The hashtag #DoNotComply has since been trending on Twitter.

I’ll probably be recommending against going from a public health standpoint.

2 Likes

Terrible

I recommend against going to In-N-Out from a the-fries-are-terrible standpoint.

1 Like

Tread lightly, @robert. In ‘n’ Out blasphemy is against the T&C of FTC and may result in a lifetime ban. :grin:

1 Like

Their burgers are real food and a good value for the price, but eating their fries is its own punishment.

2 Likes

There should be an article somewhere called “Or How I Learned to Love In ‘n’ Out Fries”. It can be done. You just have to love them for what they are.

I think the quality of the fries can vary quite a bit based on potato crop/season and In ‘n’ Out location (fry quality).

3 Likes

I have on more than one occasion gone to In n Out with a bag of McDonalds fries in hand. The perfect location is the corner of Chapman and Placentia in Fullerton. They are literally across the street from each other.

2 Likes

Also, I previously mentioned WELL DONE (patties) and EXTRA TOAST customizations to make an In ‘n’ Out burger even better, but I discovered a new one recently. I don’t think this has been mentioned on FTC yet.

Ever thought that In ‘n’ Out beef patties are a bit lacking in flavor? I have. Well, order your patties with EXTRA SALT ON MEAT to boost the flavor!

1 Like

They simply cut the potatoes and fry them once. That’s how you make terrible fries.

1 Like

Maybe I have terrible luck with McDonalds fries but in n out fries are better. At least in practice if not in platonic ideal. Every time I get fries from McDu the fries are pale and cold before I get out of the driveway :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Would rather have in n out’s pale not crispy but hot!

Obv ymmv!

1 Like