'We fiercely disagree': SF In-N-Out sends strong message against COVID

If you want McDonald’s fries . Order no salt please . They have to make a new batch . Then salt them yourself . In n out burger fries are beyond terrible.

Yes sometimes you get an old batch. But that’s kind of luck of the draw. The old no salt move is a good idea.

As a (very) former fast food worker, I can tell you that this annoys the workers no end. The fries haven’t been sitting there that long. Just eat the damn fries. Anyone who tried that nonsense with me got a very light bag of fries.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I go the other way. In the app, I order extra salt. Whether or not you get hot, fresh fries from this method is debatable, but I never seem to have the pale, undercooked fries.

And as a value-added bonus, I always have extra fun relaying my antics (extra salt, bacon bar) to my cardiologist. Yep, real knee-slappers.

4 Likes

Have you asked you’re cardiologist which is their favorite fast food spicy chicken sandwich?

1 Like

I have not. LOL! If I did, could I truly trust his opinion?

1 Like

In-n-Out seems to use rather small potatoes for their fries and cuts them thinner than others. At one point I thought they cut them crosswise but was told that’s not true. My perfect combo is an In-n-Out Double-Double with fries from 5 Guys but they’re too far apart around here.

I’m of this sentiment. And I’d rather have In-N-Outs quick fried potatoes than another run of the mill vegetable oil fried fry. It’s simple, almost home-made-ish, and like how most people would go about making it in their kitchen pre-internet. There’s a certain charm in its pared down simplicity. Though I’d wish they’d salt it more. Fries bore me at most places so much that I’ve gotten used to replacing the side order with salad.

As far as the controversy, I don’t take their position as an anti-vax statement. And I don’t understand the fierce anger over this position. Because its probably not a minority opinion among restaurants who have pretty much already been fked over by these same politicians. It is absolutely a burden on top many others for restaurants, especially for their mostly 20 year oldish workers, who now have to manage the inevitable harrassment and threats from turning people away, as if that wasn’t horrible enough just to enforce masks.

3 Likes

Of all the franchises, 5 guys probably has the best fries. Just because they use peanut oil over the vegetable oils everyone else uses. I also like that it kind of steams in the bag, so it’s sometimes limp and crispy at the same time as I don’t like when every fry is perfectly crispy.

Those younger than 35 are really missing out on a time when McDonalds frying oil was beef tallow.

Great combo. 5 guys has excellent fries.

Gustavo Arellano weighs in:

3 Likes

Which position are referring to? The specific words in their statement show a clear alignment with a political stance/world view.

I do not think employees should have to be the vaccination police at a restaurant. I imagine many of the board also do not think restaurant employees should have to do that.

The company certainly could’ve expressed that stance in any number of ways… And it chose to express it in one, very specific, way. I think some posters are expressing an objection over that more than anything else. ::shrug::

8 Likes

Insisting that potentially infectious customers be allowed indoors at a restaurant during an epidemic demonstrates a LACK OF CONCERN for their employees, who are far more at risk than customers. Per that Arellano article, they weren’t even enforcing mask requirements in the kitchen of the one he went to.

Their statement is absolutely political, which is of a piece with their political contributions to Trump. And the random capitalization.

… As a Company, In-N-Out Burger strongly believes in the highest form of customer service and to us that means serving all Customers who visit us and making all Customers feel welcome. We refuse to become the vaccination police for any government. It is unreasonable, invasive, and unsafe to force our restaurant Associates to segregate Customers into those who may be served and those who may not, whether based on the documentation they carry, or any other reason.

We fiercely disagree with any government dictate that forces a private company to discriminate against customers who choose to patronize their business. This is clear governmental overreach and is intrusive, improper, and offensive.

Full statement reprinted here:

https://6abc.com/in-n-out-burger-san-francisco-vaccination-status-fishermans-wharf/11147238/

The government already requires restaurant employees to be the shirt and shoes police.

2 Likes

There is no law requiring customers to wear shoes in a restaurant.

Until Covid, The only things restaurants had to police as far as their customers were concerned was that the customers do not smoke and are over 21 when attempting to purchase beer and wine. And in actuality, there’s no law that even requires restaurants or liquor stores to check ID for that, they just cannot sell to someone under 21.

Making sure someone is masked, is a lot different than asking to see papers proving they have been vaccinated.

Personally, though, I would like to see a way to keep unvaccinated people at home lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Wow, never realized this. Apparently “no shirt no shoes” and even “please wait to be seated” signs showed up in the 70s because businesses wanted to keep hippies out.

And the Society for Barefoot Living has verfied multiple times that there is no state health department that requires this (they regulate employees, not customers).

https://www.barefooters.org/health-codes-and-osha/

I know and people don’t know this.

Most people think there’s a law saying you have to check ID too. And there is not.

Delete

I’m not actually referring to anyone here. Just speaking in general thinking of comments I’ve seen on twitter under a lot of newspaper feeds.

As far as Gustavo’s experience, I’ve been to In-N-Out in the bay a few times. Service workers wearing masks, customers wearing masks when ordering, no one really socially distancing anymore. In other words, the same as every other place. But definitely didn’t feel any sense of covid denialism.