We salt our toast!

I just keep fancy French butter (Frentel these days mostly) in a mason jar just out at room temp and have never had a problem. Maybe because it’s demi sel or I just go through it at a reasonable clip but it gets used for cooking and toast

Partner has always (or long) kept butter in covered butter dish at room temp. I was initially horrified b/c I was always taught to refrigerate it. But it seems fine (as in, butter tastes fine, no obvious signs of anything gross on it, and no signs of food poisoning in either one of us after yrs of doing this). Admittedly, though, our kitchen runs decently cold most of the time.

I’m assuming if the better looks and smells fine, it’s fine to con’t doing this?

1 Like

Butter always kept at room temperature, albeit in NorCal that isn’t very warm. In the country, Sierra foothills, it melts at summer room temps even with AC. I use a butter bell there with moderate/mediocre results. At least butter doesn’t pool all over its dish.

I normally have four kinds of salt around. I have the big flakes in an open container right by the stove and kosher salt in the cupboard for cooking with. I also keep pink Himalayan salt in a grinder-top jar out at the table.

Another that’s always around is Herbamare seasoned salt from A Vogel. Fabulous stuff, a staple in my family for decades. It’s been renamed ‘Herbed Sea Salt’ but the formula remains the same, with celery & leeks in the foreground as well as the usual herbs. The real difference is that instead of just mixing herbs into dry salt, they make a brine, steeping the herbs, then dry it. So every crystal contains the full flavor.

Herbamare complements nearly everything; at the table I generally reach for that instead of plain salt. I use plain salt when cooking, and occasionally when I want the keep the flavors simple. But most of the time I’ll use Herbamare. Great on meats and just about all vegetables. Also eggs, popcorn, pasta, potatoes, and anywhere else I use unsalted butter,

I have a few other flavored/spiced salt mixtures for grilling, etc but Herbamare is genuinely an essential for me.

The Jacobsen salt looks great; will try it, maybe their smoked salt too.

1 Like

Bordier is :crown:. Give it a try if you can find it. Demi-sel is good but many other options.

Is this Bordier? I’ve never seen it but will keep an eye out next time I’m somewhere in LA that might carry it.

1 Like

Last time I got it, it was from Epicure Imports. Give them a call.

2 Likes

That’s it. Try Epicurus or Cheese store BH.

1 Like

Ludo on Bordier

1 Like

Can’t go wrong with Beurre de Baratte either. Epicurus definitely carries both.

2 Likes

That is the one I get from Whole Foods They tend to have the Unsalted one. And if you open it up, it has a cow in the top of it. Adorbs.