Weekend in SD

It’s always a pleasure to get counterpoint from you, DD. Thanks for your comment about El Agave.

As you know, my companion, who was born/raised until college in the Roma area of Mexico City, is my inspiration and critic when it comes to Mexican cuisine. All I can say is that she and I have never had an “inconsistent” experience at El Agave.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the delay here, been pretty busy the last week or so, but just wanted to update you on the SD rundown. It ended up being a little less food centric than I had hoped for, and a lot more drinking, but I had a great time visiting friends. They live in the East Village so most of the trip centered around that neighborhood/Gaslamp/Little Italy.

Got in Friday night and my friends took me Beshock, down the block from their apartment, a spot that they frequent quite often. I ordered their flagship Shio bowl. It was fine, but I was really happy to just hang out with them and drink some sake and beers.

After the meal we unwound a bit at their place, and then took off to a few bars around Gaslamp where they happened to know a lot of staff. We did a good amount of drinking. Grabbed an Acai bowl the next morning near their place and spent the day mulling around Coronado, visiting some more friendly bartenders.

That afternoon we went to Vino Carta in Little Italy for some wine, grabbed a bit of prosciutto cotto and tinned fish from Mona Lisa’s and kicked around until we decided to pack up and watch the sunset with a picnic up at Torrey Pines. I went back in to Mona Lisa’s and grabbed a couple Italian subs, but the real star was the insalata di pulpo. Wow. Wonderfully tender chunks of Octopus dressed in lemon juices and vinegar, with chopped celery, onions, and parsley.

After a solid day of drinking and snacking we we ready for a big meal. Their friend had recommended we try Shang Xi Magic Kitchen. My friend put it in the google maps, but to his naivety took us to the wrong location. We ended up at the food stall in the 99 Ranch grocery store, not the actual brick and mortar restaurant. I was jazzed about it, because typically in LA these places can end up being quite lovely. I’m also a big fan of 99 Ranch, and my friends had never really experienced a market like that, let alone a dining experience such as this. I think they were a bit taken back that we were going to eat dinner in a grocery store but I forced them out of their comfort zone for a real Southern California dining experience.

The food was decent, and the noodles were pretty good. They stand up to some of what I’ve had in the SGV in LA. I was kinda bummed they forgot our dumplings and then brought steamed out instead of pan fried, but oh well.

Lamb Pao-Mo Soup

Pork Tripe w/ Green Pepper

Biang-Biang Hand Ripped Noodle

Cold Dish

The next evening, after a nice day exploring Balboa Park, the cottages of the world, and and organ show, we decided to have dinner at the house and I cooked up some puttanesca

Finally the morning I left town we went for a coffee at the Modern Times Invigatorium inside J & Tony’s Discount Cured Meats. I ordered the breakfast sandwich and what really made it exceptional was the bechemel sauce spread on the bun, neat take that I’d never had before. Latte was great too, and I really dug the vibe of the place.

I wish I had more time to explore all the recommendations noted in the above thread, but it was a hard balance and I didn’t want to impose too much on my hosts. Next time I’ll definitely take the reins and steer in a bit more attuned direction.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for taking the time to write up your dining experiences. Very nice photos.

I’m a fan of Shan Xi and have had good luck at their 99 Ranch outpost on Balboa lately. It’s too bad you missed out on the table-service restaurant on Convoy, though. Oh, well, next time.

Mona Lisa’s is a legend here.

That breakfast sandwich looks great!

Wayfarer has the best croissant and baguette I’ve had this side of Paris. It helps being first in line and getting them fresh out the oven.

Coffee from Bird Rock. BYOCC for prosciutto croissants and ham baguette sandwiches in the Chase parking lot 1 block away.

3 Likes

Bird Rock Fine Wine sells the nicest wine tote bag I’ve seen. Still in great shape after five years of fairly heavy use and once catching on fire.

We spent a few days down in San Diego last month and had a great time.

Sahara
This is a great Middle Eastern spot in El Cajon. It’s a ways out from the city, but convenient for where we were staying.

IMG_8360

The chicken tikka is so juicy, it’s unreal. This is coming from someone who swears by dark meat. The rice is addictive, too. This could go toe to toe with any of the fine spots in Westwood.

IMG_8361

French fries are everywhere down here, and Sahara’s offering reminds me of doner in Germany. We topped ours with chicken shwarma. Good, but the fries are what I can only describe as Burger King-esque. Not a fan of that.

IMG_8363

The breads are what really set this place apart. I believe these were stuffed with potato and ground beef.

Julian Pie Company
I always try to work in a detour to Julian.

IMG_8368
If there’s better apple pie out there, I haven’t had it.

Supernatural Sandwiches
We saw this recommended several times on FTC. Always a good sign.

IMG_8427

Oh my god, this is the most amazing lobster grilled cheese ever. And one of the best sandwiches period. Huge chunks of lobster and shrimp bound together by cheese.

IMG_8426

The bread is perfect, too. GBD all the way.

IMG_8422

Goddammit, even the fries are incredible.

IMG_8424

As if things couldn’t get any better. the homemade shrimp chips bring a tear to my eye. It tastes like childhood. One day I will be back to try everything on the menu.

3 Likes

Some good spots, thanks for the roundup.

2 Likes

Supernatural Sandwiches is always a good call. So is the Julian Pie Co. Thanks fro reporting back.

1 Like