Weekend Run-Down (October 2015) - what did you have?

you win.

roast duck, Majesty Seafood, Mongkok.

13 Likes

Where you staying in HK?

Ho sec.

drooling

Friday: Guisados. First time there and the tacos were amazing. I did have their chiles torreados taco and it was definitely hot. My kids were laughing because I was sweating while eating it!

Saturday: Khachapuri from Old Sasoon Bakery in Pasadena.

7 Likes

I’m a shucking shellfish person. NSFW.

10 Likes

We ended up at the Costa Mesa location twice this weekend. Friday by choice, and Sunday at the insistence of friends from out of town (not that they had to drag us in). Lobster, clams, & mussels on Friday night. My fiance doesn’t do spicy, so we do mild Kickin’ in the bag with a side of medium or spicy for me to dip. We also get a side of rice, which is great with the sauce poured over the top. Sunday was king crab legs, shrimp, clams, & mussels. It’s coming out of my pores today.

2 Likes

Fishing with Dynamite?

Friday and Saturday I cooked at home.

Sunday morning: Biscuits and gravy from Joe’s Cafe. It’s my favorite thing there, and I purposely will only go to Joe’s on Sundays because that’s the only day they offer these.

Sunday evening: Ended up doing a last minute cooking class at the new Woodland Hills Sur La Table. The menu was Spanish Tapas, so we made toasted baguette with quince paste and Manchego cheese, kale and chickpeas with bacon, chicken with roasted fennel and garlic, and a potato/squash/onion tortilla. That took care of dinner, and then we stopped at the nearby Confexion cupcake shop for some sweet treats.

2 Likes

Friday we finally braved the lines and the crowds and had breakfast at Eggslut GCM (1 turkey sausage sandwich + 1 Fairfax sandwich; very good but I don’t need to have it again) and the won ton soup from China Cafe (plump, juicy, just salty- and fat-enough pork wontons in a light chicken broth; loaded it up with chili sauce and I was a happy super camper for the rest of the day.)

Had a friend over for dinner on Friday night and served sour grape preserves from Papa Cristo’s on top of Greek yogurt from Super King - a perfect blend of sweet and tart!

Saturday some friends and I went for corporate decadence for my birthday and ordered four, count 'em, four different Pizookies from BJ’s Pizzeria: classic chocolate chunk, salted caramel, triple chocolate delight, and peanut butter s’mores. All great, but the salted caramel was heaven.

I took a break from volunteering at CicLAvia on Sunday and ordered take out from Broadway Pho, which is my usual neighborhood Viet place, but the vegetarian egg roll bun (vermicelli) was a overcooked disappointment that day.

1 Like

Breakfast at Simplethings in Burbank for the first time. (Had a Blackboard Eats coupon, so decided to check it out.) Husband has the sausage benedict, I had the eggs over easy with roasted tomato quinoa. Both were excellent but I was extra happy about mine. Really flavorful but not heavy.

Then we hit donut hut to get treats for Sunday am.

Ate home food the rest of the day.

Sunday -
Donut Hut doughnuts. All tasty, the blueberry was surprisingly good.
eggs. coffee.

Then the Broad Museum after which we hit Grand Central Market.
Where we ate was determined by where we could get seating (it was packed - CicLAvia probably). Got an order of fish and chips at Bombo’s and it was huge. More than enough for both of us to share, well prepared, and the yogurt dill sauce was very happy with the fish. Loved the house made pickles. We also got a fresh limeade that was yummy.

We then went to Olio and each got one of the $5 pizzas to have for dinner tonight.

Then dinner that day? Kumadori Sushi in Glendale. Close to our house, killer happy hour and very nice fish. Plus that day they had a red curry clam chowder as a special and it was lovely. So balanced and flavorful we ate every drop.

We don’t normally eat out that much over the weekend but, Sunday was our anniversary so we went for it! I think we had a great combo of food and fun : )

3 Likes

Happy anniversary! Always a good reason to splurge. :smile:

Thanks P!

I remember one year we went to Tam O Shanters to celebrate and loved it but felt SO full afterwards. Sushi was the perfect thing.

And tonight - the pizza!

Correct. Oysters, clams, peruvian scallops, jumbo shrimp, pei mussels, atlantic lobster, and uni.

Friday: buckwheat noodle with bean sprouts, potato starch and vegetables, and lamb soup with buckwheat cat ears at lao xi noodle house

Saturday: birria burritos at la palmar for lunch then coca cola pork belly at amor y tacos with overly sweet cocktails

Sunday: fried chicken, Mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, and chocolate pudding at Clifton’s for lunch

1 Like

How was Clifton’s? How was the food?

It was ok, not soecial. $12 for two small pieces of chicken and two sides. The best thing was the pudding, very chocolatey (chocolate forward? Did I say that right?)

Thursday
Dinner at Maré. Such a beautiful little space. Food was great. Service was good. Chef Greenspan came over and chatted with us a bit. Really nice guy.
The complimentary seeded bread and accoutrements were a nice start to the meal.
Also got:
Roasted broccolini with chili and garlic chips
Skirt steak with sea urchin butter - The meat was way overcooked, but then I realized that the server never asked how I like my meat cooked and it completely slipped my mind to even say anything. Oh well, still tasted good.
Shrimp in spicy sausage and romesco broth
Whole branzino with fig pomegranate glaze
Blood orange trifolo with semolina cake and fruit compote, with rosemary and sea salt shortbread cookies.

Friday
Lunch: Tempura from Hannosuke inside Mitsuwa in Torrance.

Dinner: Tonkotsu ramen in “God Fire Level 4” spice level from Ikkousha Hakata in Torrance. Despite the ominous sounding name, it wasn’t that spicy to me even though it was the highest spice level they have. Really tasty broth, though.

Saturday
Lunch: The Bangkok Bowl from Yellow Fever in Torrance. Greens, grilled chicken, mushrooms, slaw, almonds, and coconut curry sauce. I really like Yellow Fever’s bowls. Good quality and fresh ingredients.

Dinner: I was craving nachos, so nachos from El Jacalito in Lomita sounded good. Cecina, chorizo, and tasajo. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Sunday

Steamed pork & veggie king dumplings and fried shrimp, pork, & veggie dumplings from Myung In Dumplings inside S-Mart in Torrance.

10 Likes

Yellow Fever’s bowls are great. I was quite pleasantly surprised on my first visit on Sunday, and I thought the homemade Sriracha was a nice touch. As an Asian lady, I hate the name of the restaurant though.

@Happybaker Happy anniversary! I was gonna try to visit the Broad on Saturday, but the line was too insane.

3 Likes