Weekend Run-Down (October 2015) - what did you have?

Very envious of your weekend, @PorkyBelly

Saturday:

• Olé Spain Delishop (Costa Mesa) - Wanted to make it a paella weekend by trying out the version here but ended up with a bocata with domestic serrano ham, pamplona chorizo, manchego cheese, piquillo peppers and some patatas bravas with spicy dressing and hot paprika. I’m unfamiliar with Spanish sandwiches in general but bread had a crispy crust and soft crumb. Patatas bravas… maybe think of animal style fries with cubed potatoes instead of fries in that same non-crispy way.
  • Huong Quan (Santa Ana) - Bun mam, one the restaurant’s specialties, a Vietnamese vermicelli noodle soup with fermented fish/shrimp paste forming the base flavors for the slightly thickened broth. Word of warning that it’s kind of a stinky dish (and the restaurant had an “interesting” aroma to it as well), but the dish is immensely savory and delicious. Oh, and had bun dac biet, a vermicelli noodle salad with grilled pork, egg rolls, and shrimp. I’d skip this one next time in favor of some recent visits to Vien Dong and Thanh Mai if you’re looking for bun. HQ’s grilled pork was grisly and flavors were flat compared to aforementioned places.

Sunday:

• Paella Night with Perfecto Rocher @ Hinoki and the Bird (Century City) - Really enjoyed the veg dishes. Paella very tasty but socarrat very minimal. :frowning:
2 Likes

Saturday
Falafel sandwich with lots of lemon pickle - Dune
Pear frangipane tart - Valerie Echo Park
Almond milk latte - Valerie Echo Park
Iced jasmine tea (sans boba and milk) - Boba Loca

Sunday
Palak paneer, malai kofta, pakora curry, garlic naan, and carrot halva - Samosa House

Extra Trashy Snack Bonus Round
Matcha Pocky
Homemade kale ranch dip
Plantain chips

2 Likes

Did the Rock N Roll half marathon on Sunday so decided my post-race meal would be at Smoke’s Poutinerie. Moreplease recommended the Korean poutine (bulgogi and kimchi) which he came up with for his Hollywood store.

2 Likes

Worked all weekend and not much eating out so don’t know if I should play… But I did have to finish off last week’s Oktoberfest purchases so what the hell.

Friday - Alpine Village Knackwurst with harissa mayo and julienned sun dried tomatoes on commis bread.

Saturday - Attari Sandwich Shop - tongue and brain sandwich and a bowl of osh. First time for the tongue and brain. Not much flavor from those brains but a nice texture. Not sure I’d get it again over the tongue alone.

Sunday - Hungarian Bratwurst, sauerkraut, selection of mustards.

1 Like

where’d you get the fucking Hungarian bratwurst form ???

All sausages came from a drunken apres-Oktoberfest spree at the Alpine Village deli counter last weekend. Also picked up a half smoked pork butt, country pate and some berliner headcheese.

1 Like

My fucking weekend:

Saturday afternoon: throw away pizza, real food daily (vegan) club sandwich, dinner a great fucking burger from Wally’s (finally a fucking dish there that’s actually fucking dope, I think I’m officially finished with Wally’s for the time being now) and a solid Old-Fashioned, and i really really like that space.

Sunday: Wexler’s smoked trout on poppyseed bagel and iced almond nut latte, and some rolls from the sugar fish roll joint.

Sunday late dinner: LA Burger Bar for a kosher burger with beef fry (their version of fucking bacon) and chili, i was quite impressed with this joint for a kosher joint. And it’s sort of like a decent if not better junk-fast-food chili burger shack, which is incredibly high praise indeed.

and that ain’t no fucking joke.

2 Likes

Just got back from vacation in Italy on Tuesday, and still jet-lagged. The spouse formerly known as the Woman In The Hat was feeling even more under the weather than I did, and when some folks we’ve known a long time, one of whom was also experiencing a touch of “feeling off”, called about dinner in Hollywood relatively late on Saturday, we all sort of said the same thing: “What’s tasty, but not challenging? No scorching heat, no fishy funk, no “witty” food”, no multi-course tasting menu with dishes which don’t look like what they are, and require instructions to eat.".

Consensus: Marouch.

Still consistent, still tasty, still accommodating. Food’s still exactly the same as it was a year ago; the same as it was a decade ago, and probably the same as it was 25 years ago, when I first ate there.

4 Likes

Is that new? I only remember salmon & sturgeon.

Yeah. It’s kind of like a fucking special. They ran outta the other shit.

Mariscos El Puerto

4 Likes

I know. The name is awful. But this is the best of the build your own chego that is out there. Much better than Shop House and Kaya.

–Dommy!

When I was there last weekend, the smoked trout was listed as a special.

2 Likes

House pan roast at Ritter’s Also tried the house chowder. Very good.

k

1 Like

it’s been too long since I’ve been to fucking ritter’s

which loction ???

costa mesa ??? the original one ??? I mean or the new Santa Ana one ???

please give location.

and is there pork in that one or its the just seafood varietal ???

it’s pretty good prices are high though and it’s a fuck load of butter in there.

and even more so if you gourge on the bread and butter to commence once’s taste buds.

Original location in Santa Ana (near South Cost Plaza). New(er) location is in HB, and they’re supposed to be opening up at ARTIC in Anaheim one of these days.

We had the house pan roast, which had shrimp, clams, crab, and lobster. House chowder had the same.

Prices weren’t too bad. Fed a family of 5 (two kid’s meals) including a bottle of wine and an order of bacon-wrapped shrimp for about $100.

that’s not bad.

family of 5, with 4 or 5 of those kettle bowls with wine ??? that’s not bad, not by a long shot.

yeah, it’s been around two years or more since I went to the location near SCP.

thanks man. sounds like i’m overdue on a fucking return.

In all fairness, the $100 got us one pan roast, one chowder, two kid meals, the shrimp, and the wine. So yes, it would be more expensive with each adult getting their own bowl. House pan roast is about $23, which I guess is kind of steep when I think about it, but I always enjoy it, especially now that I can have a glass or 4 of wine with it. YMMV.

do they have the pumpkin cheesecake ???

or did you happen to notice it ???

thanks man.

No idea.